Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Convince me to buy FF XIV

Hey, long time WOW player here. Lately I have been utterly dissapointed with WOD and blizzard's customer treatment + broken "promises" and how little content they give us, so I refuse to support them despite having game gold for several tokens. Basically I am lf new home I have heard some good stuff about this game (they did some kind of reboot?). Can you tell me something more about it:
    -pros
    -cons
    -main differences between wow (or other mmo)
    -cost (game + sub, are there any expansions pack, where should i buy it)
    -world (I have never played any FF game, will I get lost with lore?)
    -anything else I should know

I know it's a lot to ask but you could potentially get a veteran mmorpg player
    I am from Europe btw (Hope there are european servers?)

Quote Originally Posted by satletio View Post
    Hey, long time WOW player here. Lately I have been utterly dissapointed with WOD and blizzard's customer treatment + broken "promises" and how little content they give us, so I refuse to support them despite having game gold for several tokens. Basically I am lf new home I have heard some good stuff about this game (they did some kind of reboot?). Can you tell me something more about it:
    -pros
    -cons

I know it's a lot to ask but you could potentially get a veteran mmorpg player
    Play the free 14 days trial? Will be more than enough to make a good call.

I will go ahead and say that any game with eastern visual style is not for my taste, but i decided to go ahead and give it a shot as well.

What i can say about the game is that the beginning experience is terrible, I was about level 4 when i realized I'm still in the city i started in and didn't even engage in combat but had way too many "talk to guy x" quests.

When I decided to go out on my own and try the combat system (I was playing a warrior type thing) and did not like it at all, the level one basic attack move seemed like I'm doing three back flips and was way too extravagant for me (In classic Asian-anime style).

But go ahead and try for yourself, don't let anyone weigh in on your judgement you might end up loving it!

Before we go through and make a list for you, please quantify how many times you have uttered the following statements:

F'ing Blizzard
    Kick the newb
    F'er can't even ##kdps at ##ilvl, when I could ## at ##
    wtf, are you stupid

To answer the quick questions:
    I can't be arsed to look it up, but the base game is cheap, $10-$20. The expansion is still full price ($40 ish?). You have to finish the entire base game, so while buying the bundle may save you a little money, just buy them seperate for in case you don't like it.

It's not all that much different than any mmo. More grindy on current content perhaps. FF games always loved the grind.

The story of most FF games change each game. There are a million nuggets in this game, as it's a throwback to all the old games. Not knowing these nuggets will not lose you anything. FF is and always has been 50% about the story. You will be forced through the cutscenes, so you will learn the lore. You can skip them, but if you don't like story, you will just end up back on these forums complaining... it's 50% of the game!

Just try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    Before we go through and make a list for you, please quantify how many times you have uttered the following statements:

F'ing Blizzard
    Kick the newb
    F'er can't even ##kdps at ##ilvl, when I could ## at ##
    wtf, are you stupid

Just try it.
    LoL bro I barely got mad in wow, mostly because I don't pvp and i raided with decent guild so I had no reasons to get mad. If you asked me that question about league of legends game... couldn't exacly say the same:P

And I just like to know opinions of players that play/played this game for a couple of months, they usually got the most precise answers and opinions. I also had no idea free trial exist. I will check it out for sure!

7+ Year Old Account
    An experienced MMO player will find the first few levels really simplistic. SE wanted to entice non-mmo players to join the game and made the lower levels really easy. It does get better.

If you like story there is plenty of it. If you don't you can mostly skip cutscenes and just get on with it. There are standard fetch quests, kill quests and delivery quests. There are instance dungeons to run starting around level 15 where you get basically 3 in a row.

I just rolled a new character on Excalibur a week ago and skipping most CS I got to level 32 in about 24 hours (/playtime) over one week so it goes pretty fast.

If you are worried about catching up to current content, I know many people who returned for Heavensward who never finished the 2.0 - 2.55 main scenario and they found it relatively quick to get through everything. A guildmate of mine just rolled a new alt and leveled to 50 and cleared everything through 2.55 in about 2 weeks.

If you do play I suggest trying to find a helpful Linkshell or 8 and a friendly Free Company (guild). It will make your life easier.

If you decide to subscribe make sure you get a friend code from someone so you both can reap the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    Play the free 14 days trial? Will be more than enough to make a good call.

I will go ahead and say that any game with eastern visual style is not for my taste, but i decided to go ahead and give it a shot as well.

What i can say about the game is that the beginning experience is terrible, I was about level 4 when i realized I'm still in the city i started in and didn't even engage in combat but had way too many "talk to guy x" quests.

When I decided to go out on my own and try the combat system (I was playing a warrior type thing) and did not like it at all, the level one basic attack move seemed like I'm doing three back flips and was way too extravagant for me (In classic Asian-anime style).

But go ahead and try for yourself, don't let anyone weigh in on your judgement you might end up loving it!
    I wanted to touch on a couple things this guy said because my criticisms were pretty much exactly the same.

1. Starting quests: my guy is a roegadyn(sp?) and started in, this big labyrinthine city called limsa lominsa. It's big and confusing as fuck, using the map is hard, and they have you running around lost for what feels like hours, bombarded with 500 crappy side quests that take you around the city, and all you want to do is go out and smash something. The first bits of the game are very bad imo, at least for roegadyn.

2. Flashy combat: I don't think that ffxiv's character animations are really that 'out there'. If you play The cat person with skimpy clothes, ears, and a tail, well then what we're you expecting? The rogues tumble, the warriors swing weapons etc etc. What IS distracting is that the skill animations themselves are absolutely huge and bright. Your screen will be loaded with them in narrow passages of dungeons. That said, after doing roughly 8 dungeons, I found that it was a matter of getting used to them. When you're more familiar with the animations they really arent very annoying anymore.

Ffxiv is WAY different than wow. If you've been playing wow for the last 10 years you're going to face a decent learning curve getting into ffxiv; especially if you're trying to rush and level and skip tutorial stuff without reading. There's a lot of different game systems that you just need to take time to learn, I find that most are pretty interesting though, especially the class system.

In all, I say go for it, the game is cheap on g2a. I'm new and cant give you an extensive pro con list, but I am in a similar situation and am having fun with it. At the very worst it's an interesting change of pace for a bit, not a bad game by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by satletio View Post
    -pros
    -cons
    Pros: Excellent Graphics, flashy animations, fun boss fights that are challenging (not hard unless doing savage, very similar to old 10 man heroic raids, very unforgiving), rich lore, consistent updates, a dev team that is passionate and caring about their game, a growing game (note most MMO's decline, FF14 has shown steady growth), can be all classes on one character, etc. Gameplay at max level (i.e. savage raiding) is a ton of fun. Rotations are complex and fun, etc.

Cons: As an experienced MMO player used to twitchy gameplay (see WoW, Wildstar, etc.) you will find the beginning of this game borderline unbearable. It does get better, but not until much later when you start getting all of your abilities. The question variation is pretty much kill x, collect y, talk to z. Very basic, but if you take the time to appreciate the characters giving you the quest (read the dialog) and watch the cutscenes the quality of the story does ramp up quite well. This game has a ton of complex little side systems, like your companion, dyeing, challenge logs, etc that all need to be unlocked via quests, so don't miss them as they're not always widely advertised.

You can get the base game for $10-20, (start on free trial, it'll save you the money if you decide you don't like it), Sub is $13 a month if you only want one character (really only need one, unless you like to go all in and have different characters for dif classes, but not necessary by any means).

European servers are expected to drop in a few months, otherwise servers are in Canada or Japan.

Try the game (I mean really try it). The free trial is up until lvl20 I think and by then you should have decided if you like the game or not. It takes some time to get used to since a lot of stuff is same same but different from WoW but once you get past that and if you by then love the game just buy it

Also, stick with the man story quest (they have a different look above the quest giver) and your class quests, you'll need the other quests for when you level up your other classes. The main story is the most fun imo too.

Nothing we say here will make the decision for you. Convince yourself, I don't mean that in a brushing you off kind of way. Each person has their own feelings on the game and what they do and don't like about it. and you won't know until you try it.

Try the Free Trial, that will give you all the information (or at least most of it) that you need to know.

Come back once you've hit 20 and then ask again =) We'll be happy to help.

I gave the free trial a shot and got bored by level six after spending 4 levels just talking to people. Can't comment on the end-game or anything however...

I've just ordered the game as you can pick up a RR & HW twin pack (hard copy) with 30 days of game-time for £20 (about $30) from Amazon, It's not really a lot to lose to give it a proper try for a month.

You are looking for someone to say how awesome it is? That is hardly helpful. Hype is a bad way to make purchase decisions as many, myself included, will attest to from their personal opinions of WoD. So instead of looking for peoples opinions, develop your own and don't be a sheep.

Free trial, Gameplay videos, Twitch, Google. There is endless information out there at your fingertips. I mean this in a brushing you off kind of way because it needs to be that way to get the point across. Tired of seeing the same type of thread every month.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...the-free-trial
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ll-FFXIV-to-me!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arisons-to-WoW
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...What-do-I-need
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...stem-and-Roles

OP you either choose to risk the money to try the game and see for yourself if you like playing it or you don't. Stop trying to crowdsurf what you should do next, get up, put your big boy pants on and get on with it without needing others to tell you what you should do.

This is tantamount to 'tell me what class I should play'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    I gave the free trial a shot and got bored by level six after spending 4 levels just talking to people. Can't comment on the end-game or anything however...

I've just ordered the game as you can pick up a RR & HW twin pack (hard copy) with 30 days of game-time for £20 (about $30) from Amazon, It's not really a lot to lose to give it a proper try for a month.
    You made the seemingly common mistake of doing all the town quests

A tip to the OP DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT DO ALL THE TOWN QUESTS!?

Get your basic story and class quests doing your class quest unlocks a hunt log(kill certain enemies for xp)

At 5 just do your story and class quest.

There us a FAQ thing here that goes more in depth but overall stick to story and class quests as well as ghildheist and dungeon roulette once a day

The other quests are one to unlock guildheists and levequests(they tell you when you unlock em at a certain point in stort just take the quest they point out)

And challenge log

Among others buut I think the faq that us stickied has em all

Overall I say try ut but DO NOT do all city quests they are mostly for new to mmo players and cover stuff like emotes and chat channels among other things

Isn't that enough?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    Convince me to buy FF XIV
    why should anybody? Try it for yourself...

Hey, long time WOW player here....

...I know it's a lot to ask but you could potentially get a veteran mmorpg player

Nobody cares about stuff like that. Try the game, have fun, enjoy the journey and be nice to the people.

A little warning about the start of the game, the first few hours it´s very stiff and not very action filled. If you get bored try to concentrade on the world and the story, the areas look so great in that game that you can look over the slow start. Oh and you dont have to do every level 1 quest in the starting area, they are just there (some people get bored because they do all of them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    A little warning about the start of the game, the first few hours it´s very stiff and not very action filled. If you get bored try to concentrade on the world and the story, the areas look so great in that game that you can look over the slow start. Oh and you dont have to do every level 1 quest in the starting area, they are just there (some people get bored because they do all of them.)
    haha..after the beta, this was the reason I didnt want to buy the game..the first 1-2 hours was so boring...at least for the beta, that I wanted to see how the game plays, how the class play etc. I am glad a friend of mine convinced me to buy it at release hehe
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

It shouldn't come as any surprise that the starter experience in an MMO is 'boring'. It starts off deliberately slow to ease players unfamiliar with the genre into getting to grips with game mechanics. The game truly begins to shine around level 35 - which is where the story picks up considerably and only improves from that point on. If you're a fan of in-depth lore and stopping to take in the sights and sounds around you then you'll likely enjoy FFXIV as much as I do.

If you prefer to focus only on rushing ahead so that you can focus entirely on the fabled 'end game' at the cost of everything else, however? Then FFXIV isn't likely to be your cup of tea.

Frankly players only really need to do the main story quest in the city (go to 3 places) and then they could go outside and ram rod through beating the snot out of low level mobs to level quickly. Come back inside to do job quests every 5 levels and then get on with the main story quest while filling out the hunting log until level 10 or 15. The Main story quest will keep you up with the level requirement to do MSQ until around level 40 where you will have to do some extra stuff voluntarily to level every single level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    haha..after the beta, this was the reason I didnt want to buy the game..the first 1-2 hours was so boring...at least for the beta, that I wanted to see how the game plays, how the class play etc. I am glad a friend of mine convinced me to buy it at release hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Frankly players only really need to do the main story quest in the city (go to 3 places) and then they could go outside and ram rod through beating the snot out of low level mobs to level quickly. Come back inside to do job quests every 5 levels and then get on with the main story quest while filling out the hunting log until level 10 or 15. The Main story quest will keep you up with the level requirement to do MSQ until around level 40 where you will have to do some extra stuff voluntarily to level every single level.
    What I said earlier buuut seems nobody listens

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    What I said earlier buuut seems nobody listens
    Unfortunately the city quests are a bit of a red herring, in most games the starter zones have quests which send you down a chain to complete an early story, the city is the ffxiv starter zone and players think they have to hit every quest they see because it is part of the starter zone experience and none of these quests really do anything but add flavor. Nothing wrong with flavor but these quests could easily be designed to send you out of the city quicker. 'I need bee wings' which you find on bees outside the doors to the city, 'I need a ring for my fiance from the jewler but a thief ran stole it and ran outside with it' or 'I need mandragora skulls for my bathroom decor', what ever, just get the player outside killing things.

The city quests are a sandpit for new players, especially western players.