Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    P.S. Lets not make this into keybind VS. clicking, I know keybinding always make you like 5% better and I just don't think its very fun.
    Not sure how keybind vs clicking is more or less fun, but as long as you're playing your role... do what you want.

That said, every class has a lot of abilities to place on their hotbar. Keybinding will be a LOT more efficient than clicking...

Why do you find "keybinding" to be difficult? By default the first bar is set to the number keys above the letters on a standard keyboard, anything else can be set to be modified by any key you want really... though the standards are ctrl, alt and shift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Not sure how keybind vs clicking is more or less fun, but as long as you're playing your role... do what you want.

That said, every class has a lot of abilities to place on their hotbar. Keybinding will be a LOT more efficient than clicking...

Why do you find "keybinding" to be difficult? By default the first bar is set to the number keys above the letters on a standard keyboard, anything else can be set to be modified by any key you want really... though the standards are ctrl, alt and shift.
    Same reason I hate guitar hero, my fingers just dont seem to stretch to anything beyond the first four keys, and trying to hold shift and ctrl at the same time makes my brain seem to jam. I know it can be trained, but having to physically train myself to play a game is just a turn off. Thanks to healbot, I do pretty well in WoW, but anything without the simplest of rotations and with any mobility requirement seems to be beyond me.

Deleted
    You're probably asking on the wrong website, if only because you will get the people who are threatened by any MMO other than WoW and will start bashing it. I picked it up 2 months ago after being bored out of my mind of WoW and failing to find any other MMO to keep my interest. It's slow going until level 30, but when you unlock your job and the story starts picking up it's turned into perhaps the best MMO I've played in years, especially Heavensward. There is certainly some time investment at the start though, tis a painful start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwii156 View Post
    You're probably asking on the wrong website, if only because you will get the people who are threatened by any MMO other than WoW and will start bashing it. I picked it up 2 months ago after being bored out of my mind of WoW and failing to find any other MMO to keep my interest. It's slow going until level 30, but when you unlock your job and the story starts picking up it's turned into perhaps the best MMO I've played in years, especially Heavensward. There is certainly some time investment at the start though, tis a painful start.
    That just sounds typical for a Final Fantasy game. It always takes forever to get out of Midgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    Combat, speaking from my character and my girl friend's character, largely consist of "keep this damage increasing buff up via this ability, keep this DoT up, use this proc, use this filler". I can only speak for Lancer and her Archer. By level 15-16, she was fairly happy with her Archer and felt she had a "rotation" that was engaging enough to be happy with it for such a low level, my Lancer seems to be lagging behind a bit on that but I'm getting to where I think it will be better.

Play the free trial, level like mad, and see how far you get and how you like it. Only YOU will know what YOU like. It is a bit slower than WoW with 2.5 second GCDs which is a bit frustrating sometimes for a button spammer like me but I got used to it.
    The lancer really picks up once you get your Job. All the jumps, and many/all of your dps cooldowns, are off the gcd and you end up button mashing pretty hard on a Dragoon. Seriously... it's some crazy finger Olympics for the first 20 seconds or so of your rotation. It's a fantastic spec to play and I think you'll find it highly enjoyable if button mashing if your thing. The problem is you don't get a lot of these abilities until 40+. Your rotation, not counting the new HWs abilities, isn't even complete until 50 when you get the 3rd part of your main combo (Chaos Thrust). It's silly that they give you abilities like Impulse Drive so early when they have no real use for another 30 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    The lancer really picks up once you get your Job. All the jumps, and many/all of your dps cooldowns, are off the gcd and you end up button mashing pretty hard on a Dragoon. Seriously... it's some crazy finger Olympics for the first 20 seconds or so of your rotation. It's a fantastic spec to play and I think you'll find it highly enjoyable if button mashing if your thing. The problem is you don't get a lot of these abilities until 40+. Your rotation, not counting the new HWs abilities, isn't even complete until 50 when you get the 3rd part of your main combo (Chaos Thrust). It's silly that they give you abilities like Impulse Drive so early when they have no real use for another 30 levels.
    Yeah Lancer/Dragoon is one of the more complicated ones from what I've read and DPS guides seem to support this. I leveled one to 34 for my Bard cross class skills and it was nothing special by that point. But playing it at max level will be totally different, I can guarantee you that.

Deleted
    I just started the trial and trying out the classes. Thaumaturge at 16 is fun, and I don't even mind long cast times/GCD. I have just a few spells but the cooldowns are interesting, and I find it fun. Just started pugilist, so no idea how melee works out.

There is a 14 day free trial, just try it an see for yourself. Questing and grinding are both ok, since you get bonuses for killing and there are always random events around (FATEs, sorta like Rift's Rift events).

Also, basic game is 9.99€ on steam, which is less than one month sub for WoW. Play 14 days trial, if you like it, buy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearmug View Post
    Also, basic game is 9.99€ on steam, which is less than one month sub for WoW. Play 14 days trial, if you like it, buy the game.
    I think you get another 30 days when you buy the game too so you can essentially play it for 44 days just to try it out for what it would cost you to buy a beer at your local pub (depending on the country)

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Same reason I hate guitar hero, my fingers just dont seem to stretch to anything beyond the first four keys, and trying to hold shift and ctrl at the same time makes my brain seem to jam. I know it can be trained, but having to physically train myself to play a game is just a turn off. Thanks to healbot, I do pretty well in WoW, but anything without the simplest of rotations and with any mobility requirement seems to be beyond me.
    I agree if I dint had my Naga mouse I would not be keybinding either I most likely would have picked up my ps3 controller
    for the love of hydaelyn I cant seem to get it to work trying to keybind with my keyboard the only 2 binds that stick are: altF and altV and that took me 10 years of WoW to burn in!.

if I try to keybind more on the keyboard it self my fingers just refuse to learn it and my brains just BSoD instantly. But it goes fine with the Naga. >_>

Asking to be convinced looks like you want an excuse, but cant quite come up with it yourself.
    If you want out of WoW that much, then just leave.
    What game you go to play is irrelevant, as long as you aren't dragging down the experience by playing something you don't want.
    I would rather someone is playing something they enjoy, something THEY want to play instead of what someone else thinks they should be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwii156 View Post
    No, that is just the viewpoint of ignorant people who make the assumption that a positive outlook on a small part equals fanboy behaviour.
    There is destructive behaviour from the supporters of every game, FF included.

WoW is what I play, and it suits me fine.
    But I appreciate that it wont be for someone else.
    I just hope people could be mature enough to stop bashing a game after they leave it, instead of throwing a tantrum over others not sharing their view.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-08-31 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Mostly everyone has talked about game play but I'll post something story related.

If this doesn't convince you then nothing will. Also, this isn't a spoiler. This video is the ending of FFXIV 1.0. So don't be afraid to watch, as much of the story for A Realm Reborn relates to this event which is otherwise known as The Calamity. It's almost required I'd say to have an understanding of 1.0 story. It makes what happens in ARR and Heavensward that much more rewarding.
    Last edited by Kakera; 2015-09-26 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

Different strokes for different folks. What's 'efficient' for one person is clunky for someone else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't do it. It's like slow motion combat all the time with the crazy high global cooldowns and clunky console like controls and movement.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

15+ Year Old Account
    Beautiful graphics, great story, great class system, crafting and gathering is far more involved than click node or hit craft, multitudes of ways to level depending on your preference.

Updates come more frequently but with less content each. To a new player, there's going to be a shit ton to do, and will probably take up the better part of a year if you want to do it ALL, and thus each patch may seem overwhelming on top of all the stuff you already have to do. To an established player, each patch adds very little, much like WoW. If you're looking for more content over time here, you're not going to find it. If you're into hardcore raiding, this holds especially true since they release very few raid bosses per patch, and the bosses aren't mechanically interesting, they're gear checks. If you played vanilla, you'll know exactly what I mean by gear check fights. They go from impossible to doable in just a few item levels, and from doable to easy in another few item levels.

I personally don't mind it, but there is a parallel between all of the "artificial gating" people whine about in WoW and the artificial gating here. So much stuff is gated behind time. Hours to wait for something, something you can only do once a day, something that you can only do once a week. Right now, if you wanted to get all of the best in slot crafting gear (yes, for crafting) you'd have to do your weekly turn ins for over two years to get it all. The crafted gear with materia (gems) socketed in is technically better if you "fully" pack it full of materia, but you get an ever increasing chance to fail to attach it as you go on. Thus it ends up costing tens of millions of gil to fully socket best in slot crafting gear. There is A LOT of what people call "artificial gating" in FF14, but whenever I mention it, everyone comes up with excuses as to why it's ok, which just tells me that they have fun with it. In short, you're basically compelled to play every day else you feel like you fall behind.

Seasonal and special events are fun, but if you have an issue with the cash shop, steer clear. They come up with new items for seasonal events every year, but instead of having the previous years' items available to be earned, they are on the cash shop.

I love the game personally, and the criticisms above are not out of some kind of hatred for it. I just simply look at parallels between the two games, since I play both depending on my mood or whoever comes out with a new patch/expansion that I can consume.

Also, there's no real PvP to speak of.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2015-09-26 at 07:05 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Don't do it. It's like slow motion combat all the time with the crazy high global cooldowns and clunky console like controls and movement.
    The combat becomes much more fast paced at higher levels (you know, much like most other MMO's...) despite starting off fairly slow. The global cooldowns aren't that high either - you simply need to learn when to use which ability when. Most classes have quite a lot of abilities that you weave into your rotation when they're available to help keep things interesting.

The movement isn't 'clunky' either - at least as far as I'm concerned. It feels very smooth and responsive - especially with the satisfying character animations. If it's not for you, fine - but I'm guessing you didn't give the game a proper try given by your rather dismissive commentary.

Slow motion combat at earlier levels. But, when you get to upper levels (30-40), things pick up. Multitasking required, positioning, which combo to utilize, never break a combo,etc. Leveled a rogue (get anything to 10 to unlock, in limsa lominsa) and was slow, like everything else it seemed. Started to pick up a bit at higher levels, but not too much (around 30). 'Upgraded' to ninja, and now lots of multitasking required (mudras), and at 45, your GCD is essentially 2 seconds. Lots of things to keep track of (debuffs, dots, 'mudra' timer, stealth-attack timer, positioning) on top of utilizing your correct combos.

That's really all I leveled, and am still pretty new to the game. But it does pick up and GCD gets faster (for some classes/'jobs', at least). The game is no Wow, but it shouldn't be Wow, it is its own game.
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible! ~Kamina, Gurren Lagann

...You'll kill my dick?! What the hell does that even mean? I'll kill your dick! ~Grayson Hunt, Bulletstorm

Flying Chocobos.... enough said
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The combat becomes much more fast paced at higher levels (you know, much like most other MMO's...) despite starting off fairly slow. The global cooldowns aren't that high either - you simply need to learn when to use which ability when. Most classes have quite a lot of abilities that you weave into your rotation when they're available to help keep things interesting.

The movement isn't 'clunky' either - at least as far as I'm concerned. It feels very smooth and responsive - especially with the satisfying character animations. If it's not for you, fine - but I'm guessing you didn't give the game a proper try given by your rather dismissive commentary.
    To be fair, the game does really hold your hand for a long time. Some classes do not see those abilities they need to weave in until they are in the 40s. I know a lot of MMOs start of slow and you gotta get a ways in to really see it but it seems even longer in FFXIV. Then you have the fact that your friends are talking about doing Alex and stuff or new content and you really want to be there, but have to go through hours of level 50 content to get there. Some people enjoy this, myself included, however, I can see how it would frustrate a lot of other people as they are not used to it at all. Most other MMOs do not do this, so it's rather unexpected and shocking to some. I would prefer if there was a way to skip it and go back and to it later, but that is just not gonna happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny how people complain about the start of the game, I took my time. Listened to the story. Did some reading, you know? Like your supposed to do? Oh wait tho...lol i just keep forgetting than most of the community here don't give a fuck about story content ( They might say they do when they need to troll or make a point but we all know thats shit )

I keep forgetting than its all most just diving head 1st blindly into action killing enemies left and right without any real reason then getting epic loot to try and be better than the player beside you. because you know? we all have something to prove online to everyone. To sum it up, If your really like this, You not going to enjoy any MMO. " Go back to CoD or BF4 " would be a legit saying here.
    " The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, Therefore he who has no fear of god has no wisdom "
    People saying we are in the end-times really don't know anything. Such as there's going to be 7 years of world peace before it happens and as long as china and russia are still a thing its safe to say its not going to happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaroko View Post
    Funny how people complain about the start of the game, I took my time. Listened to the story. Did some reading, you know? Like your supposed to do? Oh wait tho...lol i just keep forgetting than most of the community here don't give a fuck about story content ( They might say they do when they need to troll or make a point but we all know thats shit )

I keep forgetting than its all most just diving head 1st blindly into action killing enemies left and right without any real reason then getting epic loot to try and be better than the player beside you. because you know? we all have something to prove online to everyone. To sum it up, If your really like this, You not going to enjoy any MMO. " Go back to CoD or BF4 " would be a legit saying here.
    You can care about story and still think the game is very slow early on.

The combat is basically in slow-motion until well into the 40s. The story doesn't get all that interesting and engaging until 15. You can also spend a solid 90 mins after starting the game before you do anything but slowly run around the first town trying to find all the people you're supposed to talk to. The story IS good and gets entertaining as you go, but the game is intentionally designed to be very slow and easy for way longer than it really needs to be.

It's definitely worth playing through the slow parts.