Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Where does all this "escape to another universe"-stuff come from? Did he actually say that? AFAIK the whole statement/proposal is that information/energy that hits the event horizon eventually gets sent out again via Hawking Radiation. Very simplified but yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Hawking's an idiot.
    Says the guy that fails to count to 2 in another thread
    lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Where did I imply that his physical condition somehow is causing me to take pity on him and treat his word as gospel?
    Where did I say you specifically felt this way?

Where did I say you specifically felt this way?
    Fair enough, you didn't. It was, perhaps, somewhat implied, but you didn't really say it. Nonetheless, calling Hawking an idiot is still idiotic.

Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
    He didn't say that bullshit, journalists did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    He didn't say that bullshit, journalists did.
    This. The Independent seems to be a very nice source for news..

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    on the timescale of time itself, i do not think this is a viable option.

Relativistically, all universes should be experiencing their own heat deaths simultaneously (within a billion years of each other) so while we would literally escape ours, we could be jumping into a universe that has already experienced its own heat death, or is within a billion years of doing so.
    If there are infinite universes, you can conceivably (yet less likely) safely jump indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    If there are infinite universes, you can conceivably (yet less likely) safely jump indefinitely.
    if time is a string that binds all universes together in a mobius strip, then the time string itself will eventually experience entropy though the combined heat-death of all its connected universae/dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    if time is a string that binds all universes together in a mobius strip, then the time string itself will eventually experience entropy though the combined heat-death of all its connected universae/dimensions.
    You're assuming that they're all dying simultaneously while not being replaced by new ones. There wouldn't be infinite universes by your assumption.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2015-08-27 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    You're assuming that they're all dying simultaneously while not being replaced by new ones. There wouldn't be infinite universes by your assumption.
    When talking about universal entropy, i assume many things.

One of them is, that eventually, if black holes actually do produce other universes, then the byproduct of that creation will be the expenditure and loss of energy to manifest new mass from condensed mass.

Entropy effects all things, and if there is such a super-construct no matter how complex, no matter how many universes it creates/contains/links/whatever, it must reach entropy eventually, and in the timescale of time itself, that entropy will happen relatively quickly.

If a billion years is "quick" that is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Nonetheless, calling Hawking an idiot is still idiotic.
    Yeah, and I think calling calling Hawking idiotic idiotic is idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Yeah I was going for the technicality.

I just find it odd to think that black holes would be gateways into another worlds, since if the black hole will evaporate it's mass eventually into our universe, then how could it go somewhere else? Does the matter going into black hole somehow double so that there is enough for the other universe as well as our universe? Or does the other universe exist only as long as the black hole in our universe exists? Does the other world eventually end when the black hole in our world has evaporated completely?

I just find these theories of being passage to another universe and eventually evaporating in ours to be kind of contradictory.
    Consider that the amount of time it takes a black hole to evaporate far exceeds the age of the universe. If our universe is in fact within a higher tiered universe's black hole, then 13.8 billion years is basically infancy for a black hole.

"Is there anything that guy can’t do?"

troll b8 imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Steven Hawking seems pretty bent on the concept that Black Holes have to lead SOMEWHERE. His previous theory surrounding them led to one of his bigger failures, theoretically (and a mediocre Michael Crichton book).

It's all extrapolation, though.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and I think calling calling Hawking idiotic idiotic is idiotic.
    this statement coming from someone who supports scott walker i think we can safely discount anything you have to say on the matter.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.