advice on leveling for a returning "since beta" player

So I am back but I just want some general advice about leveling 3 toons before next xpac. I am a subscriber and all my guys are lvl 25, I rotate them every planet.

With the 12x boost, is it even worth leveling profs? I mean upgrades are 2 commendations each and I am able to keep myself reasonably geared, with the companion lagging behind. To throw on some adaptive on the companion and fill those slots with profession green might cause some slowdown. Also there is talk about revamping profs....

Is buying HK-51 worth it? I guess I will wait to see how today's data dump goes as I kind of pick companions very strategically.

Quote Originally Posted by fled View Post

With the 12x boost, is it even worth leveling profs?
    Of course it's all personal but I didn't think it was worth it. I felt like I was leveling so fast, professions were just a waste of time. However, it is a bit more headache to level professions at max level. You either go back and get mats yourself, spend credits to buy them or wait for companions to get them.

For me, I just waited at did it at max level.

I mean upgrades are 2 commendations each and I am able to keep myself reasonably geared, with the companion lagging behind. To throw on some adaptive on the companion and fill those slots with profession green might cause some slowdown. Also there is talk about revamping profs....
    You should be able to gear yourself and companion about every 5 or so levels with comm gear now. I wouldn't level a profession for crafted gear while your leveling. Really not worth it in my eyes. Unless you just didn't want to wait till max level and do it all. The gear you are going to out level so fast I can't see how it would be worth it just for gear.

What gets changed with professions we are unsure of yet. Another reason to maybe hold off on it.

Is buying HK-51 worth it? I guess I will wait to see how today's data dump goes as I kind of pick companions very strategically.
    You can spend money for him but I wouldn't on HK as a subscriber.
    As a subscriber you can get HK-51 for just your sub fee. Start the quest in Section X and go from there. It will take time and lots of it and it will be a bit tedious if yuo do it alone (and you need toons on both sides) but you can do it alone, just know time is the cost.

I've complete it 4-5 times now solo and I'm a bit better at the location device you use and not overlapping much but it is time consuming.

If you were going to buy a companion I'd get the ewok, Treek. Possibly spend some cartel coins and unlock treek for all toons after that. Healer or tank companion you can start using at level 10 and while I'd love to muzzle that little ewok, it's probably considered the best healer/tank companion in game.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-08-26 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the detailed reply! And thanks for the advice about Treek (I thought BH got him as a class as well?). Looking forward to the info dump (I hope) later.

Quote Originally Posted by fled View Post
    Thanks man, I really appreciate the detailed reply! And thanks for the advice about Treek (I thought BH got him as a class as well?). Looking forward to the info dump (I hope) later.
    Just so you know this information drop isn't about professions at all. Thats coming a bit later as I understand it. It's about companions this time.

No one got treek as a class, it was a purchase only companion. I think 1 million in game credits or 600 cartel coins IIRC. Unlocking treek for all toons once you have him is cartel coin only.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-08-26 at 05:29 PM.

Im hitting slicing, artifice and archeology at the moment. Slicing for cash obviously, archeology for stuffs and artifice for a sellable profession. Im still relatively behind on artifice, and catching up is a bit of a time sink (i spent my entire session yesterday running flashpoints and ambling about the fleet leveling it up, but truth be told, they all bring in money at the end of the day. Im making cash off enhancements im listing on the auction house, and the early archeology fragments helped me boost some credits in the first two planets. Slicing is, as we all know, just free money lying around. Dunno, if youre speed running it, it might be a distraction, but if you need a nice credit base, id definitely not skip it.

If you keep slicing and when you finally get to max level.

Yavin 4 is like watching a super mario brother coin block explode and money go everywhere.

Yavin 4 is loaded with credit boxes in the last 2 zones of that place. So easy to make money there with slicing.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Shhh, less people need to know this

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    1) Crew skills are great to have as income sources. I have substantially more credits on characters with crew skills than those without. Yes you level fast, but even leveling fast you want to use your creds at some point.

2) Haven't purchased HK-51 and have 7 characters over level 50. My second Sith Warrior will be purchasing HK I suspect though just to see his conversational pieces.