What is our rogue doing wrong

Our rogue should be a top 5 dps but he is always bottom 3 or so.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jYzLPfwHcTW6gvC2

anyone mind giving me some tips I can tell him? Never played a rogue myself.

Well hes assassination for one.....

Your rogue has 4pc + trinket. He should be playing combat / sub if he wants to push the numbers.

Statistically, assassination rogues are near the botton on DPS for fights like manno or iskar.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...8&difficulty=4
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...5&difficulty=4

Does your rogue not have a soul cap? That makes a pretty significant difference (more so than having heroic daggers).

Another useful thing is to filter by ilvl bracket on WoL so you can compare to what other people in similar gear are doing.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...=Assassination

A few things I see for his single target fights.
    1. he often forgets to use his CDs. Sometimes he uses SR but doesn't cast vendetta. sometimes he doesn't use them at all for 4+ minutes.
    2. with the class trinket his envenom uptime should be around 90%. He's often in the 70s and 80s. Make sure he isn't clipping his envenom unless he is going to CP cap if he mutilates and has high energy..
    3. he doesn't have the legendary ring and others in your group do. They are going to do a decent amount more damage than him for that reason alone. There is nothing he can do about that until he gets it though.

New guild but kept same sig [cares- Kel'Thuzad]
    http://www.twitch.tv/undr_score

Quote Originally Posted by Auress View Post
    A few things I see for his single target fights.
    1. he often forgets to use his CDs. Sometimes he uses SR but doesn't cast vendetta. sometimes he doesn't use them at all for 4+ minutes.
    2. with the class trinket his envenom uptime should be around 90%. He's often in the 70s and 80s. Make sure he isn't clipping his envenom unless he is going to CP cap if he mutilates and has high energy..
    3. he doesn't have the legendary ring and others in your group do. They are going to do a decent amount more damage than him for that reason alone. There is nothing he can do about that until he gets it though.
    Thanks a bunch!! will pass on this information, you're a big help ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auress View Post
    2. with the class trinket his envenom uptime should be around 90%. He's often in the 70s and 80s. Make sure he isn't clipping his envenom unless he is going to CP
    Just a question regarding this. What should my uptime be without the class trinket? I was following a priority that I learned from a highly rated video when I picked up my sass Rogue, but I recently realized that it was only applying to people who had the class trinket.

I checked my logs and with the priority I'm doing right now I sit at around 50% uptime which is really bad. I'm guessing that I should do less mutilates in the envenom window so I can save some energy and not having to pool it back up from 0% to 70% again?

Quote Originally Posted by Givemount View Post
    Just a question regarding this. What should my uptime be without the class trinket? I was following a priority that I learned from a highly rated video when I picked up my sass Rogue, but I recently realized that it was only applying to people who had the class trinket.

I checked my logs and with the priority I'm doing right now I sit at around 50% uptime which is really bad. I'm guessing that I should do less mutilates in the envenom window so I can save some energy and not having to pool it back up from 0% to 70% again?
    Assuming you run with Anticipation you'll want to use mutilate only during envenom uptime. Never cap energy, never cap combo points. Pool energy if you have 7+ combopoints and more than 2 sec remaining on envenom buff. When I played sass it would look somewhat like this: Envenom -> muti x2/3 (depending on crits), pool energy to 100 or to when envenom has 1.7 sec remaining, envenom -> muti x2/3 and just keep rotating this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brianmage View Post
    Our rogue should be a top 5 dps but he is always bottom 3 or so.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jYzLPfwHcTW6gvC2

anyone mind giving me some tips I can tell him? Never played a rogue myself.
    In this log he only uses SR / Vendetta once, he only uses vanish twice, rupture uptime is less than 90. I suggest that he reads / watches infexios gamings rogue 6.2 guides.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moalim View Post
    pool energy to 100 or to when envenom has 1.7 sec remaining, envenom -> muti
    In this sentence, do you mean that you apply a new envenom once your old has reached 1.7 sec remaining? or do you wait for the old envenom to run out before you apply a new one

Thanks btw!

In this sentence, do you mean that you apply a new envenom once your old has reached 1.7 sec remaining? or do you wait for the old envenom to run out before you apply a new one

Thanks btw!
    Due to how DoT / hot / buff refreshing works in WoD you can add upp to 30% of the previous ability's duration to the new one. This means that applying envenom at 1.7 sec remaining will net you a 0 sec buff loss, thus optimizing envenom up-time. You will want to have envenom buff as close to 100% as possible due to both the added poison application chance and the increased damage with muti / dispatch.

So when you are doing your rotation you use mutilate up to as many combopoints you can, without capping, inside the envenom buff duration.
    Should you find yourself at say 8 combopoints and have 4 sec remaining at the envenom buff you can safely wait for it to reach 1.7 (or your energy to reach 100), whichever happens first. You never want to hit full energy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moalim View Post
    Thanks for clarifying!

I actually did some test on the dummy and a LFR run and my DPS has significantly improved already. I guess that just goes to show how stupid mistakes can ruin dps.

Thanks for clarifying!

I actually did some test on the dummy and a LFR run and my DPS has significantly improved already. I guess that just goes to show how stupid mistakes can ruin dps.
    It's the small things that'll actually gives the big increases in DPS.
    For instance: Not vanishing on cooldown will cost you anywhere from 5 to 7 "free" mutilates. statistically speaking 2-3 of these should procc blindside so in the long run you are also missing out on 5 Mutilates, which at my gear level is about 400k damage. That is almost 1k dps in a 400 sec fight

Deleted
    You guys have some addons or WA tracking for the envenom buff?