Thread: GTX970 vs R390

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GTX970 vs R390

The years of leeching are over, hi MMO Member.

I need a bit help, i cant decide which GPU to choose.
    At the moment i got a XFX r290x but the noice level is way to high for me and now i dont know which GPU to pick.
    After checking dozen of reviews and hardwarepages (Guru3d etc.) i feel helpless and maybe someone here can help me.

Neither, they both don't justify an upgrade from a R9 290x.

If you want to make the swap due to thermals and noise levels, sure - you can change GPU.
    Do be aware of the listed examples being downgrades in performance though.
    Looking at pure performance, I would rank the R9 390 higher than the GTX 970.
    But it also outputs more heat and thus needs more cooling, but not quite to the degree of the R9 290X.
    Your biggest choice, for both cards, would be which brand of the card you would go with. XFX, which you have now, is not bad, but I do think their coolers are not good enough, both noise or cooling-wise. My room mate has an R9 280X from XFX and it is unreasonably loud.

ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI in that order would be what I would choose. And I would personally choose the R9 390, but the GTX 970 will give you an even higher chance of being safe with noise -- as long as you don't get a reference designed cooler, which is a higher chance than with the R9 390.

Its not about Power its about noice, my 290x is way to loud ( like a vacuum cleaner).

- - - Updated - - -

at tetrisGOAT
    Cooling is not a big problem even the XFX 290x dont get to hot (corsair 540 air tower).
    After i checked some Benchmarks the noice level of the R390 and GTX 970 is near equal just 1 db difference but which brand to choose?
    The Gigabyte R390 2Fan edition looks good but maybe someone got a bit experience with the R390 GPUs.

You could always look at replacing the cooling solution on your current card. This will void it's warranty, but will be far cheaper than buying a new card and you will not be downgrading your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You could always look at replacing the cooling solution on your current card. This will void it's warranty, but will be far cheaper than buying a new card and you will not be downgrading your system.
    Chances are to high that i destroy the card but the AMD watercooling for the 290x looks nice but still 110€.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Chances are to high that i destroy the card but the AMD watercooling for the 290x looks nice but still 110€.
    A better air cooler will do it.

Deleted
    GTX 970 Strix!

I would go the adding water cooling part, especially if you worry about noise. I put the Corsair water GPU bracket and AIO kit on my 290. It was pretty easy. About 20min to install and pretty stright forward if you read the semi simple instructions. I think I spent like $95 dollars total for the kit and the corsair h55 120mm AIO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181085

In terms of performance, its always whisper quiet and I don't see temps about 55c even running Firestrike Extreme a few times over.

I bought the 290x 8 month ago für 250€ and i get easy 200€ if i sell it now so the only difference is when i spent 150€ on a new Watercooler i can destroy the card but when i spend 150€ for a r390 or gtx 970 i get in the end the same result. Maybe a bit louder and 10-15% slower but i think thats the save side.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2015-08-27 at 06:54 PM.

If you really want to downgrade, I would stick with AMD right now, so the 390. It looks as though the current AMD cards will handle DX12 better then current gen nVidia cards. This will probably change with the next gen of nVidia cards but no telling for sure so for now I would stick to AMD. I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to downgrade though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If you really want to downgrade, I would stick with AMD right now, so the 390. It looks as though the current AMD cards will handle DX12 better then current gen nVidia cards. This will probably change with the next gen of nVidia cards but no telling for sure so for now I would stick to AMD. I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to downgrade though.
    Yeap, a great silent air cooler would cost less than 80$ and do the trick.

AMD seems to be more future proof atm, Nvidia from the early benchmarks doesnt gain much from Dx12

but with a 290x I would wait for the new generation of cards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cheapest option is the following (I am blindly assuming you have the REFERENCE design R9 290X here with this...):

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/produc...1&cid=17&id=52
    http://www.gelidsolutions.com/produc...&cid=13&id=108

You buy 1 of both of the above and start working with it and use the below guide to help you out where necessary.

Installation Guide

It honestly just requires time and confidence, nothing else.

To 100% i will destroy my 290x when i try to replace the cooler so no chance i will try that.

Deleted
    To 100% i will destroy my 290x when i try to replace the cooler so no chance i will try that.
    How did you build your computer then??

It is just removing some screws, safely remove the cooler. Add the thermal pads, some thermal paste and put the new cooler on. Pretty much similar to changing a CPU cooler. Just watch some videos etc.

But if you really think you won't be able to do it. I would go for a 390.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    How did you build your computer then??

It is just removing some screws, safely remove the cooler. Add the thermal pads, some thermal paste and put the new cooler on. Pretty much similar to changing a CPU cooler. Just watch some videos etc.

But if you really think you won't be able to do it. I would go for a 390.
    I saw some Videos about it and i build PCs now over 15 years but no chance i remove a GPU cooler the stuff is way to fragile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Questecure View Post
    GTX 970 Strix!
    I have one and I can barely hear it... wonderful card!

Only thing i ever breaked was a 50€ Motherboard and no idea how it get damaged.
    I only fear of damaging the Vram when i put all the little Heatsinks on.

390x is the only sensible upgrade option. And even that isn't really an upgrade.

Why don't you just wear headphones? I had a blower-type gpu cooler once, it was noisy but not THAT noisy.