Deleted

Last check before order

Hi.

I have been looking around on different forums and reviews too know which parts I should buy and it has come to this.

Can't post any links so i'll just add the names.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX980 Ti Gaming 6GB
    Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G2 750W, 80+ Gold

The reason I chose 6700k instead of 5820k is basically of the cheaper price and the reason for the MSI 980 ti is because it's on sale atm.

I already got 2 hard drives (including a sdd) + a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and I will build it in my Fractal Design Define R4 chassi.
    I will use it mainly for gaming but I might use it for some rendering too (which is why i considered the 5820k) but probably not much (which is also why I went with the 6700k).

What holds me back is that i've read that some people had problems with the killer network card on the msi motherboard. What's your thought on that? The main reason I choose the msi motherboard is because of how it looks and that it fits good with the msi gpu.

Besides that I pretty much just want to hear other people's opinion on the build.

Thanks!

Deleted
    I haven't reckoned a msi mobo for over 2years now cause they have problems all the time. I would stick to gigabyte or asus in your shoes. ASrock is good for low budget deals as well.
    The rest seem fine, but hey if you buy that setup get a decent cpu cooler xD. With that setup you need to get something alot better.

The Hyper 212 EVO is fine for light to moderate overclocks, so it should be fine for normal use as well.
    I don't think there's a need to get extra fast memory (2133 is the standard for DDR4 right?), so drop down to 2133.
    MSI motherboards appear to finally be fine - they had a tendency to coil whine a lot during light to moderate loads before.

2133MHz is the JEDEC spec, any higher is technically overclocked. If you want more than 2666MHz you have to go up to the 125MHz strap and then fiddle around with the memory clock ratio.

ASrock mobos are pretty good :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't think there's a need to get extra fast memory (2133 is the standard for DDR4 right?), so drop down to 2133.
    Sadly Skylake scales better with Memory speed at this point for games. To make any difference between Haswell and Skylake you're looking at 2666MHz+.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    I haven't reckoned a msi mobo for over 2years now cause they have problems all the time. I would stick to gigabyte or asus in your shoes. ASrock is good for low budget deals as well.
    I've had an msi mobo for 4 years with no problems at all. All pc parts have failures

I just built a new PC using this MB MSI Z170A GAMING M7 LGA 1151 with the Skylake i7-6700K and so far its been fricken awesome! A very sexy MB!!!

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/w...825_191708.jpg

As many others have said, unless you're planning for some major overclocking, you don't need any higher ram than the 2133. So far the Killer Networking has been solid, just one minor issue recently, requiring me to reset the modem because Youtube wouldn't load videos, but the web was working fine...dunno the reason but it began working again after reset.

Please don't post ginormous pictures, especially if you're just showing off in someone else's thread, not using the same parts..

^I wasn't showing off, its the same MB with slighter better specs. There is no difference visually! Some people may appreciate seeing what their next build will look similar too!
    Last edited by Khalus; 2015-08-28 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Sadly Skylake scales better with Memory speed at this point for games. To make any difference between Haswell and Skylake you're looking at 2666MHz+.
    Isn't it the CAS latency of slow DDR4 that hurts performance with Skylake?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Isn't it the CAS latency of slow DDR4 that hurts performance with Skylake?
    Both I'd imagine. Of course this is very dependent on game.
    Haven't seen a very gigantic comprehensive type test like AT did with Haswell, that said.
    http://hardocp.com/article/2015/08/0...cking_review/6
    Compared to
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/m...g-on-haswell/7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axxtro View Post
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    How much rendering do you plan on doing, realistically? What software/how often/how much?
    Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G2 750W, 80+ Gold
    I feel like a 750w Gold Power supply is a bit of a waste of money
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I could go with 2400mhz ram instead, it's a little bit cheaper and pretty much the same price as 2133mhz.

It seems like that motherboard is fine but I could go with Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 5 if you recommend it more.

While I was looking around I found out that I can get Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING 5 for the same price as the Z170 one. Which means that the price is the exact same if I would go for the 5820k. I have read alot about it and it seems that most people do recommend going for the 5820k. Should I do that instead?

In that case should I stick with the 2666 since you really want to clock the 5820k in order to "compete" with the 6700k in single core games or is 2400 still enough?
    If I'm not compleatly wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    How much rendering do you plan on doing, realistically? What software/how often/how much?
    To be honest, I don't really know. It might be alot or it might be close to nothing.
    I feel like a 750w Gold Power supply is a bit of a waste of money
    What did you have in mind? I could go down to a G1 or 750 bronze that will save me 20$. I don't really mind that but it's of course is unnecessary to pay more than you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I don't really know. It might be alot or it might be close to nothing.
    I'm not used to having money to throw around, I just personally wouldn't throw 200-300 bucks a 'I might not even do that'

What did you have in mind? I could go down to a G1 or 750 bronze that will save me 20$. I don't really mind that but it's of course is unnecessary to pay more than you need.
    Hard to tell without seeing where you're buying it from, and the price. Gold power supplies are -normally- like.. double the price, with effectively no benefit. They're not bad or anything, but sometimes people get them on crazy sale. If someone offered a good Gold for the same price as a Bronze, I'd take it. A dollar more and probably not.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I'm not used to having money to throw around, I just personally wouldn't throw 200-300 bucks a 'I might not even do that'
    Maybe it wasn't even worth mentioning. The computer is pretty much only for gaming (maybe streaming) it's just that i study Digital Image Production but it's not on a high level.

Hard to tell without seeing where you're buying it from, and the price. Gold power supplies are -normally- like.. double the price, with effectively no benefit. They're not bad or anything, but sometimes people get them on crazy sale. If someone offered a good Gold for the same price as a Bronze, I'd take it. A dollar more and probably not.
    I didn't add links since I'm from Sweden but the difference on the prices are. Evga Supernova G2 750W, 80+ Gold 140$, G1 129$ and B1 100$. So I guess you recommend me going for the B1?

Other than that, do you have any thoughts on the motherboards i mentioned? That is pretty much what's holding me back atm. I will probably choose the Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING 5 and a 5820k if it's worth going for, if it's not I'm gonna stick with what I have.

Edit: Looked around a bit more and if I go for the B1 power supply and 2400mhz ram I could get an Asus x99-A or MSI x99 Gaming 7 and still be at the same price. Or ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO Z170 ATX if I stick with skylake.

Sorry if it's alot of different stuff here I just want it to be good since I'm spending this amount of money on it.
    Last edited by mmoc4ba39b4f09; 2015-08-28 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's your money and not mine. If you can afford it and don't mind spending that much, there's nothing 'wrong' with that choice. I'd go with the i7-6700K over the i7-5820K. Newer, better tech that will last longer. I personally think its a waste of money, but there isn't any real 'down side' besides the $$.

It is notable that the bigger cache of the i7 over the i5 has had effects in games benchmark charts and that the even bigger cache on the lga 2011-3 has also seems to have an effect. The IPC isn't that much lower either.
    Is it worth x extra dollars? Well, it's not my choice to make either.
    But if you are studying something, having the option to have it can't hurt. But like chazus said, it's not our money. Can you quantify its worth?
    Skylake has jumped up in price compared to Haswell. I think the x99 platform is stronger than the z170 one. I would personally go with the 5820K, but I feel as though I would get something out of it.

Deleted
    I'm just gonna go with the 6700k. It feels like there's really no wrong choice for me here.

I think I got all the help I need so thanks to everyone, appreciate it.