Poll: Will Overwatch be free to play?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really dont know what they are going to do with it, hopefully they will shed some light at Blizzcon. I would imagine they would go the hots route with releasing new heroes periodically therefore a b2p method wouldnt work quite as well unless it was 20 quid for inital game and you get all heroes on release and an in game currency to release new ones/get vanity items, skins etc etc. It depends what they are doing with the extras tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

F2p Enjoy all your hackers and 12 year olds

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Overmind View Post
    F2p Enjoy all your hackers and 12 year olds
    Because paid games also dont have hackers?

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Because paid games also dont have hackers?
    Because free opens to flood gates to all of them. B2P at least constricts a very large portion of them. You'll still meet them ofcourse; just nowhere as large in numbers of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    Because free opens to flood gates to all of them. B2P at least constricts a very large portion of them. You'll still meet them ofcourse; just nowhere as large in numbers of them.
    From my experience this isn't the case. I experience far more hackers in CSGO then I do in TF2. Obviously this is down to the nature of the game, more then it's payment model, this isn't even to do with popularity, when CSGO was considered shit, and hardly anyone played it, it was still rife with cheaters.

If there is a competitive ranking system, expect a shit ton of cheaters, even if they game is triple A price at $60

If there is a competitive ranking system, expect a shit ton of cheaters, even if they game is triple A price at $60
    Red Orchestra 2 says hi; it has three different simultaneously running cheat detection systems, and if even one of them goes off not only do you get banned for life (along with no refund of your $60 purchase) but your IP address and credentials are banned too, meaning you'll never be playing that game again on the same computer or with the same credentials. Of course, one could go to ludicrous lengths to get around that, but ultimately it is far too bothersome to do so given the nature of the process and the fact that - if you cheat again - you have to do it all over again too. Thus, nobody cheats. I've never, ever found a cheater in that game, and it's probably thanks to that.

Deleted
    Red Orchestra 2 says hi; it has three different simultaneously running cheat detection systems, and if even one of them goes off not only do you get banned for life (along with no refund of your $60 purchase) but your IP address and credentials are banned too, meaning you'll never be playing that game again on the same computer or with the same credentials. Of course, one could go to ludicrous lengths to get around that, but ultimately it is far too bothersome to do so given the nature of the process and the fact that - if you cheat again - you have to do it all over again too. Thus, nobody cheats. I've never, ever found a cheater in that game, and it's probably thanks to that.
    I dont support cheating by any means but you can use a proxy or a vpn, or in my case i just restart my router as i have a dynamic ip.
    No matter what, cheaters will always be there. Heck there are bots for almost every blizzard game, hearthstone, wow, diablo, hereos of the storm.

Deleted
    Last time I checked, red orchestra used vac + punkbuster. While vac is decent, it mostly bans in waves. Punkbuster on the other hand is one of the worst cheat engines out there, only trumped by fairfight. Just google the sheer amount of issues with PB, from it's very aggressive use of memory scanning to the shit ton of false positives it's banned legit users for. Not only that, but a PB ban is very easy to get around, there is many programs around to spoof the ID of your hard drive. This has been known for a long time.

I'm not sure what the 3rd anti-cheat software is, i'm going to go out on a guess and say a 3rd party reporter like PBBans?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I see you never played Call of Duty on the European region. There's a funny thing about games in Europe, Russian economy. They can buy gamecodes dirty cheap, resulting in a lot of middle-class Russian buying tons of codes just to run aimbots and piss people (at some point the first 1000 accounts on the CoD:MW3 ladder were ALL bots, running 24/7 for months without getting banned, with a K/D ratio of 80+)

But I guess B2P or F2P won't matter because it's a Blizzard game and they can't handle botting (WoW, D3 or any other game doesn't matter, Buddy is always there to help you)

As long as your bot is not running on background Blizzard won't even bother checking over reports

Last time I checked, red orchestra used vac + punkbuster. While vac is decent, it mostly bans in waves. Punkbuster on the other hand is one of the worst cheat engines out there, only trumped by fairfight. Just google the sheer amount of issues with PB, from it's very aggressive use of memory scanning to the shit ton of false positives it's banned legit users for. Not only that, but a PB ban is very easy to get around, there is many programs around to spoof the ID of your hard drive. This has been known for a long time.

I'm not sure what the 3rd anti-cheat software is, i'm going to go out on a guess and say a 3rd party reporter like PBBans?
    The third cheat detection analyzes the angles of a player's shot and maps out the trajectory to see whether or not the "kill" a player attempts is legal. Ie, if the player's computer says he performed a headshot on another player from six hundred feet away, from inside a cave, the server will realize that it'd be completely impossible because 1. there's no possible legal way in RO2 to make a legal hit from that distance no matter your accuracy and 2. said shooter won't have direct line of sight of the target's head anyways, so the server will insta-ban the player for doing so. Another example is dodging bullets, where a cheater may attempt to auto-evade incoming fire but the server will realize that there's no possible way that the player could have done that, so it will also insta-ban the player.

Deleted
    The third cheat detection analyzes the angles of a player's shot and maps out the trajectory to see whether or not the "kill" a player attempts is legal. Ie, if the player's computer says he performed a headshot on another player from six hundred feet away, from inside a cave, the server will realize that it'd be completely impossible because 1. there's no possible legal way in RO2 to make a legal hit from that distance no matter your accuracy and 2. said shooter won't have direct line of sight of the target's head anyways, so the server will insta-ban the player for doing so. Another example is dodging bullets, where a cheater may attempt to auto-evade incoming fire but the server will realize that there's no possible way that the player could have done that, so it will also insta-ban the player.
    What is the name of this anti-cheat engine? I just checked up on the wiki page and indeed, the 3 anti-cheat engines in use are VAC, Punkbuster and PBBans. Neither one of these does anything close to that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this what makes valve the superior developer/publisher here? Why spends millions on making content when you can get the community to make it and profit off it? That way the community gets what they want (since they vote to get it in) and valve gets what they want, almost free money. I've never heard anyone moan that CSGO doesn't get enough updates.
    That's dangerous ground to tread on. I'd personally pay 20 dollars or so for a new game mode and a handful of new maps, skins and models rather that business as usual and have the option to pay hundreds for re-skinned weapon models and player models. Valves games used to have an entry fee and they still supported player mods/tags/plugins and skins through plugins or player side. Now those who are willing to pay for quality to get more (game modes, balanced maps) just aren't going to spend their money while everyone else just wastes it on pink/purple/stattrak weapons.

Making a game free doesn't make it a better game it just provides more potential purchasers of hats and such. I would think people would want less hats and more features. Granted DLC and season pass pricing is out of hand, but free with millions of community models for a price is the opposite end of the spectrum where developer creativity is stifled. Why make a sequel or expansion when you can take games from 2003 and add "hats". I don't mind episodic content, DLC's used to be good until they became the full retail price and lots of developers just starting throwing micro-transactions of any kind in their stores. What happened to the happy middle where Valve and many other Developers used to be?

Sure CS:GO for example is fine, but why was work done to essentially make a copy of cs:source and add a store. Even if its a modified source engine, all of sources maps convert over, plugins work almost the same, they could have converted over the entire game and then development could have made a true sequel for CS on the source 2 engine that they're developing, rather than a quick and easy cash cow. The community only has itself to blame if they're still playing TF2 and CS:GO 10 years from now with no sequel in sight. Both are already 11 years old almost.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2015-10-14 at 08:37 PM.

What is the name of this anti-cheat engine? I just checked up on the wiki page and indeed, the 3 anti-cheat engines in use are VAC, Punkbuster and PBBans. Neither one of these does anything close to that.
    It's not an engine but an integrated feature of the game it'self; Tripwire's proprietary Hit Detection Protocol. I believe the devs have a detailed breakdown of how it works on the official forums.

Deleted
    It's not an engine but an integrated feature of the game it'self; Tripwire's proprietary Hit Detection Protocol. I believe the devs have a detailed breakdown of how it works on the official forums.
    I'm not calling you a liar, but I can find absolutely zero evidence that their "first person collision detection" is used as a form of anti-cheat, rather an alternative to the old hit-scan method. I refuse to believe that all the server will do all that extra work to analyze every single players shots, yet run 20 tick.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I can find absolutely zero evidence that their "first person collision detection" is used as a form of anti-cheat, rather an alternative to the old hit-scan method. I refuse to believe that all the server will do all that extra work to analyze every single players shots, yet run 20 tick.
    Hm... I'm unable to find the thread that talks about it ATM, though I imagine I'm using the wrong keyword.

What is this "old hit-scan method" you reference? Is this something other shooters have used?

- - - Updated - - -

Now I look bad.

Deleted
    What is this "old hit-scan method" you reference? Is this something other shooters have used?
    Hit-scan is just the way most game devs calculate if a projectile hit a player or not. You can read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan

Hit-scan is something the server normally does, which can result in bullets hitting on your screen, but not on the players, resulting in a miss since you don't see exactly what the server sees. Tripwire, from what I gathered, moved this to client-side to get rid of these issues, but it's incredibly ballsy to put hit-detection on the clients system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red Orchestra 2 says hi
    Helios Framework says hi. Also exception of very few games, most will ban you "for life". Also what, they ban MAC/HWID address? Those can be spoofed as well. I guess a lot of cheaters might not go through that trouble (actually I can't find HWID bans on RO:2 anywhere, care to link?).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    But I guess B2P or F2P won't matter because it's a Blizzard game and they can't handle botting (WoW, D3 or any other game doesn't matter, Buddy is always there to help you)

As long as your bot is not running on background Blizzard won't even bother checking over reports
    #natureofthegames ...

You will see cheaters in OW, it's given and there will be many as well. But if you want to play seriously, Skrims. If not, well, though luck. Welcome to the Digital Gaming World.

- - - Updated - - -

Tripwire, from what I gathered, moved this to client-side to get rid of these issues, but it's incredibly ballsy to put hit-detection on the clients system.
    Anything client-side is an awful idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Tripwire's proprietary Hit Detection Protocol. I believe the devs have a detailed breakdown of how it works on the official forums.
    Link it, my Googling skills have failed me.
    -K

It will or I won't even bother trying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    yet run 20 tick.
    Oh snap. Really, 20 tick? Woah...
    -K

The more I watch this stream, the more I think it will actually be B2P which is completely fine. I could be wrong of course because we still dont know about the full monetization of the game or if characters will have unlocks etc. But, I dont think characters will be unlocks because of integral to the game switching out for counters seems to be on the stream.