Deleted

Faster Than Light Possible: "Quantum Spookiness" Tested in Lab

Below are quotes from the linked article, some simplifications in there but interesting nonetheless:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hest-test-yet/

Quantum "Spookiness" Passes Toughest Test Yet
    A cunning experiment plugs loopholes in previous demonstrations of quantum "spookiness," a concept that galled Einstein

The most rigorous test of quantum theory ever carried out has confirmed that the ‘spooky action at a distance’ that the German physicist famously hated — in which manipulating one object instantaneously seems to affect another, far away one — is an inherent part of the quantum world.

“From a fundamental point of view, this is truly history-making,” says Nicolas Gisin

In quantum mechanics, objects can be in multiple states simultaneously: for example, an atom can be in two places, or spin in opposite directions, at once. Measuring an object forces it to snap into a well-defined state. Furthermore, the properties of different objects can become ‘entangled’, meaning that their states are linked: when a property of one such object is measured, the properties of all its entangled twins become set, too.

This idea galled Einstein because it seemed that this ghostly influence would be transmitted instantaneously between even vastly separated but entangled particles — implying that it could contravene the universal rule that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

In the latest paper, which was submitted to the arXiv preprint repository on August 24 and has not yet been peer reviewed, a team led by Ronald Hanson of Delft University of Technology reports the first Bell experiment that closes both the detection and the communication loopholes. The team used a cunning technique called entanglement swapping to combine the benefits of using both light and matter.

The researchers started with two unentangled electrons sitting in diamond crystals held in different labs on the Delft campus, 1.3 kilometers apart. Each electron was individually entangled with a photon, and both of those photons were then zipped to a third location. There, the two photons were entangled with each other — and this caused both their partner electrons to become entangled, too.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next few years we see one of the authors of this paper, along with some of the older experiments, Aspect’s and others, named on a Nobel prize,” says Matthew Leifer

I believe Connal had a thread about it just a day ago or so

Deleted
    My bad, I didn't see it, hope a mod can delete this one then

Would have thought it would stay on front page since it's huge news and a great experiment
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-08-29 at 11:56 AM.

Here's the other thread, if you're interested in the discussion :]
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-Quantum-Test