10+ Year Old Account

Attack on Titan Live Action

So the live action movie of this anime is out. If you look online you can find a decent copy of it.

While it wasn't as bad as The Last Airbender movie, it was pretty bad imo...what do you guys think?
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

I guess spoilers...

It was only bad in that it didn't really follow anything with the series until maybe the last 10 minutes. Had none of the music from the series, which really is half the reason the show is amazing. That being said, I don't know what else they could have really done aside from nitpicky shit and I'm really going to save my final judgment until after part 2 comes out to see how it proceeds. Whether it's just a "backstory is different" thing or if its all completely cocked.

That being said, it was violent as shit and certainly had some good qualities. It's nowhere near the worst movie I've ever seen, not even remotely close. But it's also not great or amazing. Average.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    This film is full of flaws and I could spend an hour listing them so instead the will list the three worst points.

1: The ODMG was way too slow, in the manga and anime they were lightening quick and able to turn in a blink of the eye, spiderman on sterods.

2: The same old characters in the manga under new names, I don't give a fuck if they give them new roles or positions but please do not tell me that you know know was not Captain Levi!

3: They both devolved and evolved the tech at the same time, within an hour you went from helicopters and swords to spiderman gear and RPGS, WTF?

Cheeky 4th point, in the anime and manga Mikasa was supposed to be the last half asian alive, while the movie is true to this I think they took the piss a bit by going for a 99.9% asian cast in a world that says they should be extinct.

Is it worth watching though? Fuck yes! The post apocalyptic earth style is better than the original plus it is not stingy on the gore, I just wish it was based in Europe like the original.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2015-08-20 at 01:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the anime is a lot better IMO for some reason i have a weakness for movies like this so it was deff worth the DL for me.
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

I think the shitty dvd screener is also hurting the reception. A proper bluray release might improve things, see the effects properly.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    This film is full of flaws and I could spend an hour listing them so instead the will list the three worst points.

1: The ODMG was way too slow, in the manga and anime they were lightening quick and able to turn in a blink of the eye, spiderman on sterods.

2: The same old characters in the manga under new names, I don't give a fuck if they give them new roles or positions but please do not tell me that you know know was not Captain Levi!

3: They both devolved and evolved the tech at the same time, within an hour you went from helicopters and swords to spiderman gear and RPGS, WTF?

Cheeky 4th point, in the anime and manga Mikasa was supposed to be the last half asian alive, while the movie is true to this I think they took the piss a bit by going for a 99.9% asian cast in a world that says they should be extinct.

Is it worth watching though? Fuck yes! The post apocalyptic earth style is better than the original plus it is not stingy on the gore, I just wish it was based in Europe like the original.
    It was filmed in/by Japan...even for accuracy to the story you expected it not to be almost full Japanese cast?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I think the shitty dvd screener is also hurting the reception. A proper bluray release might improve things, see the effects properly.
    Meh, idk, I had a lot of gripes that weren't related to the CGI...which looks like it's bad regardless of seeing it in Bluray or the screener we saw.

My first gripe was making everyone Asian..pretty much eliminating Mikasa's backstory a bit and the history of Humanity.

Changing Mikasa's personality (at least in the beginning) from the stoic badass to a happy go lucky girl frolicking in a field..lolwut. Also, what happened with Eren's story with his mom being eaten by the smiling Titan? That's pretty important to the story, it's what really makes Eren join the Scout Regiment..instead of the Regiment being entirely new and a job opportunity for Eren.

Then there was the ambiance/scenery. For this particular movie, I really didn't dig the post apocalyptic feel. I would have much preferred if they stuck to the style used in the Anime.

The uniforms bugged me a little...while it resembled a tad bit on what the uniforms originally look like (patches and insignias and all), it heavily resembled WW2 uniforms. Especially the officer's who looked like Nazi officers.

Finally, the CGI. I understand it's a low budget film, but they could have used better CGI when they are whipping around using the ODMG.

The only redeeming quality this movie had were the Titans. I think having real people in body suits/makeup really captures how they act/move around better than CGI would. Great idea, loved it. But aside that..I was pretty disappointed. I wouldn't have cared that much about the CGI if they just stuck to the source material. I truly don't understand why they deviated from it so much.

Bonus rant. That cheesy screaming guy, Sannagi I think his name was, tossing that Titan to save Armin was a big WTF moment.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2015-08-22 at 03:00 PM.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Ah great, gotta watch this.

Hope season2 comes before 2016.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I mean... what a missed opportunity. This could have been huge, it could have broken out of niche anime and hit the world as horror movie instant classic.

But good god what they did with it. I mean this is like... primal fear... it was so easy. The acting was so bad... I mean god damn... I get it's eastern style and all that... but how many mother fuckers need to stand or sit down while giant people eating monsters slowly waddle toward them? The shaking in fear, the long eye contact in some scenes and the faces they make... it's just so bad. Soooo bad.
    The special effects were a let down as well, and ya, I hear they had a low budget. That shit was bad for a PS2 game, let alone a 2015 theater release.

Just a huge letdown. So much potential just wasted for a quick cash grab... bleh. Just bleh. I can't even. This coulda been huge... bleh.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was bitterly disappointed as I really enjoyed the manga / anime series. My points are repeats of what the others in this thread have said, but anyways..my thoughts after I watched it:

- They abandoned the bulk of the plot, in favour of a shittier one. I mean the original plot wasn't groundbreaking, but damn they broke it.

- Mikasa is a sissy girl here. Why? And the actress cannot do anything except pout. Irritating.

- Eren was not that "cool" in the series. Actor was alright though.

- No significance attached to how his fury/personality/motivations was built up. Didn't see his mother die, their cursory glance into the line he says when he's in the Titan's stomach shows how little they understood the necessary buildup. Pathetic last minute attempt to follow something similar to the actual story.

- No Levi......but some wannabe bitch spouting lines I don't think even he really understands. At least the actor doesn't seem to know why he's saying it.

- Animation and SFX was horrible. You can perceive the green screen during certain scenes, and the remainder were done at a 1990's Power Rangers level. I almost expected Zordon to popout with trollface.jpeg when Eren clawed his way out of that titan at the end. I literally said "WTF" out loud reflexively in the theater when that happened, and all I got was a couple of giggles and one "heh" in agreement.

- Where'd the epic music go to? But okay the music was hardly the worst part. I didn't think it was too bad.

I saw somewhere else a person complaining that Hollywood is going to go and make a white-washed version of Attack on Titan. Made me laugh. (since that would be truer to the source material than the Japanese version)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubsoda View Post
    Have to mention that I reported you, there's absolutely retarded major spoiler in your signature field.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't go out of my way to defend it as a cinematic masterpiece or anything; it was a pretty bad movie, but as a guilty pleasure it was a fun time-waster and a good excuse to warm up some popcorn.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!