10+ Year Old Account

New Monitor Tips/Help.

Hello fellow nerds! Vodka here, seeking some advice I've been having some trouble solving for some time, and hoping you guys can help me get a solution as well as just your viewpoints on the direction I'm heading.

So a little background. I built a PC almost 2 years ago, which is still running fine. A Gigabyte GTX 770 build still running strong, handles everything I throw at it like a champ. Anyways, due to recent financial shift (better job, woot woot), I'm in the planning stages to build a sexy... beautiful... beast mode machine. Already know what I'm going for in terms of parts, this build is still in it's early stages mostly because I'm still learning how to optimally water cool, but I plan to build this machine in maybe... 4 months.

So here's my issue. For the past 5 years or so, I've been using my 48" Vizio HD TV as my monitor. I do everything and anything computer related from my couch on this rather large screen, so I've developed a love for large screens. Now with this build, I plan to go back to being on a desk, like a regular person y'know? However, this large screen preference has sort of made it hard to choose a monitor for this new build.

I know the LG Ultra Wide monitors are very popular, but something about that wideness looks odd. It just doesn't look that big. Are there any good monitors that are somewhat large? I've tried going to BestBuy to check out monitors and get my mind adjusted to it, but BestBuy of course doesn't carry anything worthy of mention in there stores.

So here's somethings to keep in mind:

- I mostly play MMO's, and like 2 MOBA's at a super casual level. I plan to stream with this build. I play other games, mostly Steam games. No shooters.

- This build will be using SLI GTX Titan X's or 980 Ti's, haven't decided which yet.

- The build will either be Dual or Triple Monitor

So what are some really good monitors that are somewhat large? Has my years of using a TV really messed up my perception and the LG Ultrawide monitors are actually pretty big? Price is also a non-factor so throw me anything.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Nachturnal; 2015-08-29 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Oh, and you need to decide what kind of response times and refresh rates you're looking for. If the TV you were on was able to push more than 60 frames you may be disappointed if your new setup can't do the same.
    Well, I don't really care for the response time and refresh rates. Whatever is viable definitely, as long as the monitor is pretty nice in size, with great picture and color contrast. My intention with this thread was to get a large amount of opinions with a lot of liberty in choices with the only stipulation being that the size of the monitor be like... 27" +.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you care about contrast you need to go with VA, IPS and TN are both really bad when it comes to blacks.

Remilia is much more familiarized with monitor models than I am, I could help more if you were looking for a TV.

Do you intend to go high resolution?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going for size, something like the BenQ BL3200PT. It's a 32" 2560x1440 AMVA panel.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm

Otherwise 27" you can go with the BenQ GW2765HT or Dell U2715H.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2715h.htm

If you want absurd, 40" 3840x2160 VA panel, you could look at the Philips BDM4065UC.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/..._bdm4065uc.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Do you intend to go high resolution?
    Yes I do. I plan to push this PC to it's maximum potential in all ways possible graphics wise. And thank you Remilia, will look over that list now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Yes I do. I plan to push this PC to it's maximum potential in all ways possible graphics wise. And thank you Remilia, will look over that list now!
    A Titan X SLI at 3 UHD monitors can maintain close to 40~50fps at most games, that would be pretty savage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    If you're going for size, something like the BenQ BL3200PT. It's a 32" 2560x1440 AMVA panel.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm

If you want absurd, 40" 3840x2160 VA panel, you could look at the Philips BDM4065UC.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/..._bdm4065uc.htm
    I'm actually really liking that BenQ monitor... it seems to sort of fit my needs. Anything like it with a higher resolution by chance?

I also really like that 40inch monitor, just seems... rather thick.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Phillips 40" TV will literally destroy almost any monitor when it comes to contrast.
    Most VA monitors will sit at around 2000~2500 contrast ratio, IPS and TN are around 1000. This TV averages at 4100 and can reach 5K.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-08-30 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    This Phillips 40" TV will literally destroy almost any monitor when it comes to contrast.
    Most VA monitors will sit at around 2000~2500 contrast ratio, IPS and TN are around 1000. This TV averages at 4100 and can reach 5K.
    Yeah, Innolux, Sharp and Samsung tend to manufacture VA panels with far better contrast than AUO but there's not that many out there.
    I'm actually really liking that BenQ monitor... it seems to sort of fit my needs. Anything like it with a higher resolution by chance?

There are various 3840x2160 at 32"~ if you're more interested in those. They're not VA panels however so they'll suffer on black depth and contrast.

The Philips' really is close to a TV as you can get, while having computer connectors really.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-08-30 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yeah, Innolux, Sharp and Samsung tend to manufacture VA panels with far better contrast than AUO but there's not that many out there.
    There are various 3840x2160 at 32"~ if you're more interested in those. They're not VA panels however so they'll suffer on black depth and contrast.

The Philips' really is close to a TV as you can get, while having computer connectors really.
    I'm reaaaalllyyy liking the Philips' but man... the refresh rate is the only thing that seems to be wrong with it. Going back to 60hz feels so.. odd. And yeah, 32" is fine. The BenQ seems to fit all my needs. I know that computer monitors tend to lean more on gamer intensive needs with some sacrifice to picture and color, unless you're LG to some extent =P.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll leave some bigger sized options just in case. I know you intend to go with a triple display setup, but pushing 3 UHD monitors is still a hard fight even for a Titan X SLI.

UHD 48":

Samsung 48JS8500:
    Lcdbuyingguide
    Hdtvtest.co.uk

UHD 55":

Sony X850C:
    Lcdbuyingguide
    Rtings

Samsung 55JS8500 (flat):
    Rtings
    Hdtvtest.com.uk

Samsung 55JS9000 (curved):
    Lcdtvbuyingguide
    Hdtvtest.co.uk

UHD 65":

Sony 65X930C:
    Lcdtvbuyingguide

Samsung 65JS8500:
    Lcdbuyingguide

Samsung 65JS9500:
    Rtings
    Hdtvtest.co.uk
    Flatpanelshd

Bigger sizes are generally only available for the flagships, but Samsung sells 75" JU7100s, which is a still pretty good.

In the case you decide to go completely overkill, then we have OLEDs. LG is the only one playing this field, you don't have any choice.
    But you can expect ridiculously great contrast. Completely the opposite of their shitty IPS TVs.

Obs: Problems such as burn-ins are still present and you can expect some picture degradation with time.
    They aren't by any means made to be used as computer monitors.

This video is pretty honest:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm reaaaalllyyy liking the Philips' but man... the refresh rate is the only thing that seems to be wrong with it. Going back to 60hz feels so.. odd. And yeah, 32" is fine. The BenQ seems to fit all my needs. I know that computer monitors tend to lean more on gamer intensive needs with some sacrifice to picture and color, unless you're LG to some extent =P.
    BenQ one is also 60Hz /shrug.
    There aren't that many (one) large 120Hz+ VA monitors and the only one is a 21:9 one. BenQ XR3501, 35" 2560x1080@144Hz. Don't know much about it other than that though.