FPS Drops w/144hz and 60hz Monitors

So I recently bought a VQ248QE to replace one of my 2 VH236H. Nice monitor, but I'm getting some issues with it when playing. When I go over to my 60hz monitor (I use windowed fullscreen), my frames will dip down to about 47-72 or so, bounce around, shoot back up for a few seconds, go back down. This'll happen til I go back to my main monitor (the 144hz), but will still happen fairly often even if I'm actively in the 144hz.

From what I can tell this happens for a few reasons

1) V-sync is enabled.
    2) The refresh rate of WoW's monitor is unequal (likely because it's higher I'd imagine) than my 2nd monitor.
    3) I'm playing in either windowed or windowed fullscreen, creating an environment where the monitors can be moved between seamlessly (it doesn't happen when playing fullscreen).

Currently I'm playing fine w/v-sync off and frames capped (fore and background) at around 140~. Turning on v-sync with any refresh rate other than 60hz creates the problem listed at the top. To note, if both monitors are set to 60hz, v-sync can be enabled with zero issues.

W7 Ult 64bit
    i5 4690k
    GTX 580 (RMAing a 980 currently for a separate issue), v353.82 (happens on latest drivers too)
    16GB RAM
    WoW on an Samsung Pro 850

I hear this problem is specific to Windows 7, and that it doesn't happen in 8.1 (and probably not 10 I'd imagine). I'm testing the 8.1 theory later when I get around to installing 8.1 on my C: partition, so can update later on that. Unsure about functionality on any Linux distros. If the Windows layout is set to Basic (IE not aero), performance is bette, but is not 'normal' performance as if v-sync was off or the refresh rates were equal, but the issue was less noticeable.

Any issues if this is like, some kind of outdated driver or some shit? I've pretty much come to the conclusion this happens when multiple monitors of differing refresh rates try to create a seamless 'single' desktop when one of the monitors is enabling v-sync.

Well that's what happens if you use v-sync and your GPU can't keep up not much you can do about it other then turn it off and maybe use adaptive sync from nvidia control panel, might happen less if you get the 980 back as it is a lot more powerfull.

The reason it happens more when you are on the other screen is because the GPU needs to work on that one and puts the other image on a lower priority I would think since your attention would be on the one you are currently working on.

It was happening while I used my 980 as well, so I'm less thinking it's about processing power and more about the scenario of v-sync w/seamless monitors

10+ Year Old Account
    You're probably right about it being caused by v-sync and different refresh rates.

There is no pc that can run wow at 144 fps all the time so as long as you keep v-sync on you will get those dips if you turn of v-sync they will not be as bad, with v-sync it will basically cut your fps in half hence you see the dips to 72, with v-sync of if you dip to 135 you will stay at 135 iso dropping to 72, but even 72 fps is impossible alll the time in wow, on populated area's and raids you will drop to 40-50 fps regardless of your GPU as the game is CPU limited.

If you have an unlocked CPU you could overclock it to make things better but it will not go away completely with any CPU available today.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    There is no pc that can run wow at 144 fps all the time so as long as you keep v-sync on you will get those dips if you turn of v-sync they will not be as bad, with v-sync it will basically cut your fps in half hence you see the dips to 72, with v-sync of if you dip to 135 you will stay at 135 iso dropping to 72, but even 72 fps is impossible alll the time in wow, on populated area's and raids you will drop to 40-50 fps regardless of your GPU as the game is CPU limited.

If you have an unlocked CPU you could overclock it to make things better but it will not go away completely with any CPU available today.
    These kind of frame drops happen even if I put everything on low (not to the same extent, though).

I understand that I can't have 144 frames at every given second, that's not the point. It's when I have v-sync on and I go to the other monitor (or sometimes it happens anyway) the frames get slashed, regardless of what I'm doing or where I am.

Did you buy chance upgrade to Windows 10? There is a huge memory leak issue right now with 10 that is causing the System process to randomly increase over time to the point it has to be restarted or it isn't even usable. I had some FPS problems myself and never did before 10 so I looked it up. Even if you haven't, this is the fix to what is causing it. Start menu > settings > system > Notifications and Actions > Turn off "Show me tips about Windows"

Since I did this, flawless performance. perfect frame rates. Even if this isn't related to your issue, someone will probably read this and know this is basically a requirement right now if you're running Windows 10.

I upgraded a while ago, but I'm using 7 64bit right now. I wiped my drive some weeks ago of 10.

10 sucks anyway what a trash OS. They make it so user-friendly that doing anything beyond a basic level is hard, if not impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So the complaint is that when WoW isn't focused and you're doing something else the frames drop? It's called being run in the background. PCs typically devote less resources to these things...
    Again, this only happens with v-sync on. Frames won't drop without any reason if that's disabled.

I'm not so dumb to not know ANYTHING about computers, the issue is very specific to v-sync and two monitors w/separate refresh rates creating a seamless environment. The question in the end is if this is something I can fix or by enabling/disabling something, or if it's just how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    Did you buy chance upgrade to Windows 10? There is a huge memory leak issue right now with 10 that is causing the System process to randomly increase over time to the point it has to be restarted or it isn't even usable. I had some FPS problems myself and never did before 10 so I looked it up.
    6 months running Windows 10 as main OS, over 15 builds and not a single restart. I must be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
    Again, this only happens with v-sync on. Frames won't drop without any reason if that's disabled.

I'm not so dumb to not know ANYTHING about computers, the issue is very specific to v-sync and two monitors w/separate refresh rates creating a seamless environment. The question in the end is if this is something I can fix or by enabling/disabling something, or if it's just how it works.
    First thing I'd say would be "run it at full-screen windowed", but you already do it.

MS has been doing some improvements at multi monitor setups over the last OS releases, I'm not an expert at the subject but I'd try with 10 first to see if it still happens. If it does, well...

And whatever, do you really need v-sync on?

10 is completely awful I almost think I'd rather buy another 144hz than use that awful OS.

I don't need it, I have it off right now. I was just seeing if anybody knew if there was real fix for something like this, not just a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
    10 is completely awful I almost think I'd rather buy another 144hz than use that awful OS.

I don't need it, I have it off right now. I was just seeing if anybody knew if there was real fix for something like this, not just a workaround.
    Why do you think it's awful?

I've been using it since release and haven't experience any issues whatsoever on a triple monitor setup.

Just a note for anybody in the future who sees this topic, Windows 8 does indeed seem to not have this issue like 7 does. Using 8.1 Pro 64x right now, and it's perfectly fine w/v-sync enabled at 144hz on main and 60hz on the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Why do you think it's awful?

I've been using it since release and haven't experience any issues whatsoever on a triple monitor setup.
    Awful in design/usability, not necessarily functionality. It's so user friendly I have trouble customizing stuff on it, like how the sidebar of explorer is organized, or the size of taskbar icons (you can't make them 'big' without using StartIsBack++?).

Not to mention forced updates, telemetry you probably can't uninstall, and a bunch of other stuff they shoved it for the average grandmother who can't figure out how to open a .txt file.