[Movie ]Straight outta compton

So I just watched the Straight outta compton movie about N.W.A etc and thought that the actors for Dr Dre and ice cube looked very much a like the actual dr dre and ice cube, found out that ice cubes son plays ice cube in the movie.

He plays the part extremely well and I was wondering, what would he know about any of that seeing as his father is ice cube and he probably grew up very wealthy, do you think his dad made sure he wasn't like a snobby rich kid etc?

Also if you saw the movie, did you like it?

I like it I like the documentary type movies/real life story movies.

Have you seen Ice Cube's son outside of the movie? He is more like 'Ice Cube' than his father Ice Cube is nowadays. Naturally he did not grow up in Compton like Ice Cube did, but in personality and candor O'Shea undoubtedly is his father's son. It's kinda surreal actually.

Also I thought the film was terrific!

It did rush through some time periods at the end though. Like there was not enough about the period after Ruthless loss Cube and Dre. Or enough about the incredible impact the first three Ice Cube albums had in Hip-Hop. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and Death Certificate were big deals and nearly as striking as Straight Outta Compton.

The film especially glossed over the massive sea-change of both underground and commercial Hip-Hop during the formation of Death Row Records. Dr. Dre's The Chronic was huge, massive, big fucking deal. Hip-Hop in the commercial space would not even exist in it's current form were it not for the success of The Chronic. The importance of The Chronic is summed up in the movie with Dre driving pass a billboard on Vine.

Not a lot of talk about Tupac, Bone-Thugs, Snoop or Jimmy Iovine either. All of whom were pretty crucial to the development of West Coast Hip Hop and it's intentionally commercial variants post-Ruthless Records.

Basically the film rushed the latter years of N.W.A's members to get to Eazy's death, when that stuff was just as important as "Gangsta Gangsta" and "Fuck Tha Police".

For a film that so lovingly spent it's time on the music, it seemed a misstep to shift focus in the final act.

Still a wonderfully made film.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Have you seen Ice Cube's son outside of the movie? He is more like 'Ice Cube' than his father Ice Cube is nowadays. Naturally he did not grow up in Compton like Ice Cube did, but in personality and candor O'Shea undoubtedly is his father's son. It's kinda surreal actually.

It did rush through some time periods at the end though. Like there was not enough about the period after Ruthless loss Cube and Dre. Or enough about the incredible impact the first three Ice Cube albums had in Hip-Hop. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and Death Certificate were big deals and nearly as striking as Straight Outta Compton.

The film especially glossed over the massive sea-change of both underground and commercial Hip-Hop during the formation of Death Row Records. Dr. Dre's The Chronic was huge, massive, big fucking deal. Hip-Hop in the commercial space would not even exist in it's current form were it not for the success of The Chronic. The importance of The Chronic is summed up in the movie with Dre driving pass a billboard on Vine.

Not a lot of talk about Tupac, Bone-Thugs, Snoop or Jimmy Iovine either. All of whom were pretty crucial to the development of West Coast Hip Hop and it's intentionally commercial variants post-Ruthless Records.

Basically the film rushed the latter years of N.W.A's members to get to Eazy's death, when that stuff was just as important as "Gangsta Gangsta" and "Fuck Tha Police".

For a film that so lovingly spent it's time on the music, it seemed a misstep to shift focus in the final act.

No that's the thing I did not know ice cube had a son until this movie haha, movie was great, I knew about NWA from my older brother growing up but I didn't know dr dre and ice cube were NWA lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

First off, I really liked the movie. The characters were really well done etc.

I agree with you but the movie is already 147 minutes long so length was most likely a restriction. I would've loved to have seen more. For all I cared the movie could have been 3,5-4 hours long.

I knew about NWA from my older brother growing up but I didn't know dr dre and ice cube were NWA lol
    When you say you knew about N.W.A, you really mean you knew of N.W.A, correct?

Listening to Straight Outta Compton one would be hard pressed to not know Ice Cube and Dr. Dre are not only part of the group but rapping. Like the first lyric of "Straight Outta Compton" is literally, "Straight Outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Ice Cube from the gang called niggas wit attitude."

Dr. Dre has a whole song just to himself, "Express Yourself", which is introduced by Ice Cube and Ren. By name, paraphrasing; "Dr. Dre since you been doing all this producing why don't you step up to the mic for a change?" And then Dre murders the track.

The entire record is a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-09-08 at 11:02 AM.