Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    If just only drinking in moderation. No, it is not bad thing to do.

If drinking and smoking at same time. Yes, bad idea.

Deleted
    Point 1: Yes, smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol is bad for you scientifically speaking. Alcohol is in fact far more harmful than the majority of illicit drugs.

Point 2: Prohibition doesn't work. End of story. You can't tell someone what they can and can't put in their bodies. When there is demand, supply will exist. Any smart person can look at the past 70 years of drug prohibition and see it's been a big waste of time, resources and lives.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I don't know anyone who drinks, smokes, or does drugs in moderation. Everyone is either all or nothing.

They either don't smoke or they smoke at least a pack a day.
    They either don't drink at all or regularly get drunk.
    They either never do drugs or get high all the time.

Of all the people I know everywhere.
    Maybe you should meet new people. I smoke 2-5 cigs a day (about a 10th to a quarter pack) depending entirely on stress level. I drink about one day a week, and actually get drunk (as in past the legal limit) maybe once a month... but probably closer to once every 2 months. As far as getting high? Maybe once or twice a year if that?

The reasons why are quite simple for me though. Nicotine is mainly to calm my (medically diagnosed) mental issues, because it works well and doesn't turn me into a zombie. Honestly smoking is a godsend for para-schizo's as long as they have the willpower to not let it take over their life. I only really drink booze for the taste, aside from special occasions. Getting high still escapes me as to why it is so good. If it is available for free and it has been long enough that I don't quite remember how terrible it makes me feel, then I will take a hit or three off a pipe.

Before you say "Oh, it is just you and that isn't a good sample size." This is the same amounts as all of my friends and most people I know. There are a lot of morons in the world with no self control, but blaming everyone is bad business.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Fencers said, essentially.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it is, I know it is.

And I still like it.
    Oh, hi.

Smoking yes, alcohol however is perfectly fine, and non addictive when consumed in moderation.

Drinking heavily usually leads to percived good times, but guareteed bad times...

For example, it is my buddy's 31st birthday and we plan to go ziplining. I show up happy and high off a brownie, ready for nature and fun!

He shows up with a massive hangover...

I was annoyed. I never get to see my oldest friend any more and when I do he is to sick too have fun... because of his addiction...

Booze did that.

Don't ban it. But why booze isn't cast in the same light as cigarettes is stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    I don't only think that it's bad, I know it is. I still do both because I enjoy doing it. Oh yeah, this fits here...

Don't be a dick. Just silently watch people poison themselves and watch as your friends become sick, drunk, and stupid... Being silent would be the "dick" move i'm afraid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Don't be a dick. Just silently watch people poison themselves and watch as your friends become sick, drunk, and stupid... Being silent would be the "dick" move i'm afraid.
    The dick part is the arrogance. Do you honestly think people are unaware of the detrimental effects of the drugs they use? I know I'm increasing my risk of getting lung cancer, strokes, liver failure and a myriad of other heart and blood problems. I'm aware. Don't need some cunt constantly "enlightening" me about something I'm 3000% more informed on and have first hand experience with. I have accepted the detrimental effects as a consequence of attaining my high. I'm okay with it. Having sex also increases your chance to get HIV by 100%, I'm fine with that as well.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alcohol isn't bad for you in moderation, but the moderation people cite with it isn't as much as people would have you believe. Is having a couple beer or more specifically a couple glasses of wine every 2-3 days fine? Yeah, but having them every single night isn't actually practicing moderation at all.

I've seen plenty of people who practice alcohol in moderation in my life, but I've never once witnessed somebody who practiced smoking (at least cigarettes) in moderation. Most people I've known to only smoke when they drink, or smoke a couple times a week soon after transitioned to smoking pretty much every day. I'm sure there are examples of people who can do it, but I've met hundreds of smokers in my life and not one of them would be defined as a casual, or smoking in moderation type person. I do know of a couple people who exclusively smoke cigars, but will only do it at best once a month for a special occasion.

I really don't get smoking at all, but then again I've never done it. I know people claim that they get a high of sorts from doing it when they first start out, but that quickly goes away as they transition into smoking routinely. At that point people only smoke to get relief from the effects of not smoking for an extended period of time, and thus, the cycle is born, which is addiction. Same thing happens with alcohol dependence, or any drug dependence as well.

If I was going to smoke anything, I'd rather just smoke something that I actually get something from, even if the effects diminish over time as you get more and more use to it. With something like weed at least you get high from it, with the only real side effects (thus far) being tar and the actual smoke itself being irritating to your body as a whole.

As of right now I only drink, but I do so really rarely. At a birthday, out with friends or something like a wedding. A good beer goes well without a lot of pub food and certain types of wine go well with pretty much any meal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    The dick part is the arrogance. Do you honestly think people are unaware of the detrimental effects of the drugs they use? I know I'm increasing my risk of getting lung cancer, strokes, liver failure and a myriad of other heart and blood problems. I'm aware. Don't need some cunt constantly "enlightening" me about something I'm 3000% more informed on and have first hand experience with. I have accepted the detrimental effects as a consequence of attaining my high. I'm okay with it. Having sex also increases your chance to get HIV by 100%, I'm fine with that as well.
    I don't get the sense you do. Your last statement is just an icing of the ignorance, something that reads as my empty statements I used to say when I was 17. I think it's different to have the information and to realize and accept that you can be one of those people.

I was taking care of a person dying horribly, slowly, and I know perfectly what the true face of the disease is. I don't think you do. Maybe I am wrong but I hope I am not, because the implications would make me really sad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

I really don't get smoking at all, but then again I've never done it. I know people claim that they get a high of sorts from doing it when they first start out, but that quickly goes away as they transition into smoking routinely. At that point people only smoke to get relief from the effects of not smoking for an extended period of time, and thus, the cycle is born, which is addiction. Same thing happens with alcohol dependence, or any drug dependence as well.
    Nicotine high isn't very comfortable to be honest. You get dizzy, disoriented and nauseous but it only lasts for a few seconds to a minute max. I don't believe people start smoking because of that high since it's not a very good high. As you said, people 'grow' out of it very quickly as they start to smoke routinely. I don't agree 100% on the calming effects of nicotine. It is true that you get stressed out and even sick(as in fever, shaking, headaches etc) if you don't get your fix. But the calming effects of nicotine remain nevertheless. If you have a stressful day at work then have a smoke and your nerves calm down. Somebody died? Have a smoke and it might save you from breaking down completely. It's not entirely void of benefit, not even for the most inveterate smoker. But in the end what you said is what keeps us smoking.

Deleted
    I agree with the OP. These are disgusting and dangerous habits, and lead to the deaths of millions of people. This should not be tolerated.

Deleted
    If people wanna slowly kill themselfs, I see no problem in it.
    (And yes, I live in a country where we pay alot of taxes towards public health-care)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    I don't get the sense you do. Your last statement is just an icing of the ignorance, something that reads as my empty statements I used to say when I was 17. I think it's different to have the information and to realize and accept that you can be one of those people.

I was taking care of a person dying horribly, slowly, and I know perfectly what the true face of the disease is. I don't think you do. Maybe I am wrong but I hope I am not, because the implications would make me really sad.
    You assume that everyone aspires to be in peak physical condition in order to live to a 100. The assumption is that health always goes before pleasure and anything else is wrong. I aspire to live to 65-70, have a heck of a life until then and die knowing I had a fun time doing what I enjoy. The manner of my death is a gamble I'm willing to make. Is that difficult to understand?

We don't do drugs to die a horrible death, that's not the point of doing them but it is sometimes the unfortunate consequence.

Deleted
    It's funny how these people don't want to ban alcohol & cigarettes in order to save lives, and then hypocritically rally for "gun control" to do this.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I don't know anyone who drinks, smokes, or does drugs in moderation. Everyone is either all or nothing.

They either don't smoke or they smoke at least a pack a day.
    They either don't drink at all or regularly get drunk.
    They either never do drugs or get high all the time.

Of all the people I know everywhere.
    This is bullshit.

I dont't smoke, so no comment on that (I used to, though.. when I was younger).
    I get drunk maybe once or twice a month and drink moderately (1-2 beers) maybe once a week or so.
    I smoke weed every now and then, but not regularly. I've tried a few other drugs as well, but only a few times. Wont say no if someone I know offers me some E at a party, though... but that happens rarely.

And all is well.

OT: I think smoking is kind of stupid. At least alcohol has some benefits (makes you more outgoing and social).