Poll: Illidan vs Gul'dan, who wins?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The complicated ritual is in summoning the demon at the start because there's no pact yet. After that, you're just smacking it into submission.

Yea... Jaraxxus didn't break Wilfred's control, he was never subservient. Wilfred screwed up the summoning, he was trying to summon a doomguard. You act like a demon hunter of the same power as Wilfred will just walk up and smack Jaraxxus down.

Being dedicated and mutilating yourself doesn't mean more powerful than someone else.

Warlocks dominate demons. Demon hunters just kill them. The only way Illidan could get demons to serve him was to bribe them with a magic well.

Powerful warlocks (not even the pinnacle of the class) can destroy planets. The best demon hunter runs and hides from those kinds of people.

I dont see Illidan running away...

Deleted
    i suppose this would be a matter of who attacks first, because theyre both very powerful characters. it was stated during the wota that Illidan has an affinity for arcane magic. On the other hand Gul'dan got his empowered fel magic so it all comes down to who lands the first attack as im sure they could kill one another with a single spell.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gul'dan would destroy Illidan. I can understand the allure for Illidan and why people are drawn to him, but he's not Gul'dan.

Illidan takes orders from his brother, both fled/captured by Maiev, and hid from Kil'Jaeden in outland. Grew in power considerably upon obtaining the skull of Gul'dan, and couldn't engage Tichondrius prior to obtaining the skull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2arN-vDwnNA

A lot of people only remember the engagement at TFT. Illidan certainly grew more powerful when they engaged at TFT, mostly losing because he was over confident. Keep in mind that Arthas was in a weakened state, and the LK gave him the last of the power he could give as his state was waning. Outside of that, you see that Arthas could hold his own against Illidan prior to the skull, which is sort of humorous.

While he looks ferocious, nothing really stands out as impressive on the physical side of his combat, especially for somebody who has been alive for over ten thousand years. While adept at magic, most of the magic we witness him doing is closing/opening portals, which while impressive doesn't really aid one necessarily in combat.

Gul'dan controls demons, opens portals to other realms seemingly easily and is both manipulative and extremely cunning. In a bout with Illidan, assuming they were both prepared, it would be Gul'dan telling Illidan that he wasn't prepared. Look how easily he bound Grom, granted he was likely prepared for it. The only way I see Gul'dan losing to Illidan is if the plot demands it, and Gul'dan was caught off guard by Illidans nature being unpredictable (i.e Gul'dan lets Illidan out of his cage assuming he would aid Gul'dan, only for him to jump at him immediately kinda thing).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Gul'dan would destroy Illidan. I can understand the allure for Illidan and why people are drawn to him, but he's not Gul'dan.

Illidan takes orders from his brother, both fled/captured by Maiev, and hid from Kil'Jaeden in outland. Grew in power considerably upon obtaining the skull of Gul'dan, and couldn't engage Tichondrius prior to obtaining the skull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2arN-vDwnNA

A lot of people only remember the engagement at TFT. Illidan certainly grew more powerful when they engaged at TFT, mostly losing because he was over confident. Keep in mind that Arthas was in a weakened state, and the LK gave him the last of the power he could give as his state was waning. Outside of that, you see that Arthas could hold his own against Illidan prior to the skull, which is sort of humorous.

While he looks ferocious, nothing really stands out as impressive on the physical side of his combat, especially for somebody who has been alive for over ten thousand years. While adept at magic, most of the magic we witness him doing is closing/opening portals, which while impressive doesn't really aid one necessarily in combat.

Gul'dan controls demons, opens portals to other realms seemingly easily and is both manipulative and extremely cunning. In a bout with Illidan, assuming they were both prepared, it would be Gul'dan telling Illidan that he wasn't prepared. Look how easily he bound Grom, granted he was likely prepared for it. The only way I see Gul'dan losing to Illidan is if the plot demands it, and Gul'dan was caught off guard by Illidans nature being unpredictable (i.e Gul'dan lets Illidan out of his cage assuming he would aid Gul'dan, only for him to jump at him immediately kinda thing).

I think that people are underrating Illidan by a huge amount since he lost to Arthas.Illidan is stated to be more powerful than any of Archimondes lieutenants which are Mannoroth and Tichondrius and most likely any demon except Archi and KJ.Guldan is seemingly afraid of Mannoroth as you could see in WoD cinematic and Illidan is more powerful than Mannoroth.now,I dont say that Illidan would stomp Guldan,its just that you cant say that Illidan wouldnt stand a chance or Guldan wouldnt stand a chance.it could go either way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy6 View Post
    I think that people are underrating Illidan by a huge amount since he lost to Arthas.Illidan is stated to be more powerful than any of Archimondes lieutenants which are Mannoroth and Tichondrius and most likely any demon except Archi and KJ.Guldan is seemingly afraid of Mannoroth as you could see in WoD cinematic and Illidan is more powerful than Mannoroth.now,I dont say that Illidan would stomp Guldan,its just that you cant say that Illidan wouldnt stand a chance or Guldan wouldnt stand a chance.it could go either way.

being afraid of something doesn't mean you are weaker in any way. gul'dan wasn't afraid of the legion when he went in the tomb of sargeras while he probably should have been. so fear isn't really a factor of how powerful someone is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gul'dan casts Banish.

Gul'dan grins and places Illidan next to Kanrethad as a "battery".

/end

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy6 View Post
    Illidan defeats Tichondrius, fighting against Mannoroth is an entirely different thing.

It's really comparing apples and oranges. The reason Grom kills Mannoroth in one shot isn't because Mannoroth is weak, but because he has too. Mannoroth loses because he completely underestimates Grom and is grossly overconfident. Neither Grom nor Illidan could stand against Mannoroth actually trading blows, and no, the well of eternity instance in Cataclysm really doesn't count. Inflicting a mortal blow is one thing, sitting there parrying and trading blows with Mannoroth just isn't possible for these types of characters.

Illidan is stronger in other ways, but I don't think his pure physical strength rivals some of the most powerful Orcs. But he doesn't have to, he has a different skill set. His weapons are actually modified pitlord weapons to begin with, and as strong as they might be, they aren't that type of weapon that is going to cleave or crush through giant pieces of armor, nor inflict a deep mortal blow on something like Mannoroth. I can't see a slicing weapon like his glaives doing much damage to Mannoroth at all.

I really don't think Illidan would have the magical skill set to deal with Mannoroth either, at least by himself. From all instances I've seen on pitlords, they seem to take a beating from magic or anything based on fire.

Finally on Illidan I don't think the power he gained from the skull of Gul'dan was permanent, and it's likely that in the short term it was a giant power boost, but over the long term it just unlocked more powers for him. Magtheridon (also a Pitlord, and likely much inferior to Mannoroth) was usurped from Black Temple not by Illidan alone, but by Kael'Thas, Lady Vashj, and Akama (granted Magtheridon had demons, but the others had their own respective armies as well).

I don't think Gul'dan is necessarily afraid of Mannoroth so much that he knows his limits and backs away when Mannoroth reveals himself because it's part of the plan. Remember that Mannoroth comes back to life through Gul'dans actions, and is further empowered throughout the encounter with him in HFC by uh, Gul'dan himself. Whether Gul'dan was as powerful as Mannoroth is probably debatable, but it's fairly obvious Gul'dan gains a lot of power in a short amount of time in both the AU and the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    So...you think Gul'dan is as powerful or more so than the Lich King? It took the Lich King to defeat Illidan...so is Gul'dan comparable to the Lich King...I doubt it...so my vote goes to Illidan.
    He wasn't even the lich king yet, just possessed by a very weak one, plus he had only just finished fighting kael'thas 1v1.

Although my vote would go to Illidan initially, I would say Gul'dan might do some sort of "teehee not the last of me" moment to curse illidan from his old skull, his moment of revival etc. to bring illidan down with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Illidan defeats Tichondrius, fighting against Mannoroth is an entirely different thing.

It's really comparing apples and oranges. The reason Grom kills Mannoroth in one shot isn't because Mannoroth is weak, but because he has too. Mannoroth loses because he completely underestimates Grom and is grossly overconfident. Neither Grom nor Illidan could stand against Mannoroth actually trading blows, and no, the well of eternity instance in Cataclysm really doesn't count. Inflicting a mortal blow is one thing, sitting there parrying and trading blows with Mannoroth just isn't possible for these types of characters.

Illidan is stronger in other ways, but I don't think his pure physical strength rivals some of the most powerful Orcs. But he doesn't have to, he has a different skill set. His weapons are actually modified pitlord weapons to begin with, and as strong as they might be, they aren't that type of weapon that is going to cleave or crush through giant pieces of armor, nor inflict a deep mortal blow on something like Mannoroth. I can't see a slicing weapon like his glaives doing much damage to Mannoroth at all.

I really don't think Illidan would have the magical skill set to deal with Mannoroth either, at least by himself. From all instances I've seen on pitlords, they seem to take a beating from magic or anything based on fire.

Finally on Illidan I don't think the power he gained from the skull of Gul'dan was permanent, and it's likely that in the short term it was a giant power boost, but over the long term it just unlocked more powers for him. Magtheridon (also a Pitlord, and likely much inferior to Mannoroth) was usurped from Black Temple not by Illidan alone, but by Kael'Thas, Lady Vashj, and Akama (granted Magtheridon had demons, but the others had their own respective armies as well).

I don't think Gul'dan is necessarily afraid of Mannoroth so much that he knows his limits and backs away when Mannoroth reveals himself because it's part of the plan. Remember that Mannoroth comes back to life through Gul'dans actions, and is further empowered throughout the encounter with him in HFC by uh, Gul'dan himself. Whether Gul'dan was as powerful as Mannoroth is probably debatable, but it's fairly obvious Gul'dan gains a lot of power in a short amount of time in both the AU and the MU.

actually it was permanent.it turned him into a demon,permanently.Illidan defeated Magtheridon alone.there is the dialogue between Magtheridon and Illidan which pretty much confirms that.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2015-09-01 at 02:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grindcore View Post
    He wasn't even the lich king yet, just possessed by a very weak one, plus he had only just finished fighting kael'thas 1v1.

Although my vote would go to Illidan initially, I would say Gul'dan might do some sort of "teehee not the last of me" moment to curse illidan from his old skull, his moment of revival etc. to bring illidan down with him.
    I wouldnt count Kael vs Arthas as a drawback when he fought Illidan.we could easily said that Illidan was very weak during his first battle with Arthas because he was just released.
    Last edited by mmoc98df675b31; 2015-09-01 at 03:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    I dont see Illidan running away...

I didn't realize that Gul'dan was an powerful eredar warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I didn't realize that Gul'dan was an powerful eredar warlock.
    what do you mean "powerful Eredar warlock"???

One went into the Tomb of Sargeras and was killed. The other went into the Tomb and got out relatively unharmed. That'll be my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    One went into the Tomb of Sargeras and was killed. The other went into the Tomb and got out relatively unharmed. That'll be my answer.
    Man some of y'all really bank on the fact that Gul'dan died in the Tomb of Sargeras. Not only is the information regarding Gul'dan dying in the Tomb grossly underexplained, but one could pretty easily argue that when the "swarm of demons" came out and decimated the Stormreavers and Twilight's Hammer forces he had, they killed a big percentage of them. Thus meaning Illidan had an easier time getting to the eye.