Deleted

Cleaning up the spam to hear DBM clearly for what's important?

What's the go-to way nowadays. I remember we had some mods that removed some audio files from the game completely in MoP. Is that still the way or is there a new way?

10+ Year Old Account
    DBM has options that you can toggle certain abilities on/off for notifications/raid warnings. In general, if the ability doesn't apply to you, you should probably turn it off (i.e. DPS shouldn't have Tanking related warnings on).
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    DBM has options that you can toggle certain abilities on/off for notifications/raid warnings. In general, if the ability doesn't apply to you, you should probably turn it off (i.e. DPS shouldn't have Tanking related warnings on).

That's not the issue. It's mainly the in-game sounds that spam. That's especially spammy when you stack on melee.

PS. Don't they automatically warn only for your role nowadays? In any case I rarely have an issue because of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't edited any of the sound files this expansion, but in previous ones if you just didn't like a sound you got an empty "quiet" sound file, named it the same as the audio file which annoys you and just replaced it.

But as I haven't browsed the wow folders this time around or extracted any of them, then not really sure can you do the same in this expansion. As I don't have any in-game sound effects turned on anyway (except WA and DBM warnings).

10+ Year Old Account
    You can still override sounds using the same technique as before.

Create a 'Sound' folder in the main Wow.exe directory. From there you'll need to find a reference of the sound folder structure from the CASC files; I'm sure some dataminers somewhere will be able to tell you this information.
    For example, this addon (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mute-wow-sounds) will do most of the 'annoying' sounds for you (engineering mounts, choppers, to name a couple). You can just remove any references to sounds that you do want to keep as needed.

As for actually generating a blank sound, just create a blank file in windows explorer (or finder), and rename it to the file name of the target sound (with the .ogg extension; usually).

Blizzard has made the sound bars more granular this expac by adding in the dialogue slider. Now if you want to do what I do just turn the master slider low (this is one bossbods default to), turn music and ambiance really low or off, and keep the dialogue rather high. With my sound settings like this I can hear both my bossmod and boss emotes (which I use to help me know what abilities are happening) very clearly while keeping all that background noise from abilities and the like barely audible.

Yeah just toggle with the default audio settings. Another tip: keep your default (OS) volume high - that way you will get the maximum sound for the boss mod warnings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    Blizzard has made the sound bars more granular this expac by adding in the dialogue slider. Now if you want to do what I do just turn the master slider low (this is one bossbods default to), turn music and ambiance really low or off, and keep the dialogue rather high. With my sound settings like this I can hear both my bossmod and boss emotes (which I use to help me know what abilities are happening) very clearly while keeping all that background noise from abilities and the like barely audible.

Cool man. That's probably what I need. I hope it's enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ttak82 View Post
    Yeah just toggle with the default audio settings. Another tip: keep your default (OS) volume high - that way you will get the maximum sound for the boss mod warnings.
    k. I'll look into those.

It's generally very annoying when stacking on melee. I can barely bare the default settings but only when in ranged.

I even avoided stacking sometimes just because of that. It made me look foolish but at least I had clarity.