Possible to upgrade or trash it?

Hello all, was wondering if it's possible to upgrade this or better off buying a new rig.

cpu: i5 650 3.20GHZ
    gpu: Geforce GT 240
    memory: 3.6gb
    storage: 300GB
    mb: only info I have for it is x86 if that helps

This is exclusive to Wow since it's the only game I play, Would love to be able to play at High settings with no frame lag. Currently I play at low settings and it's awful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzle27 View Post
    Hello all, was wondering if it's possible to upgrade this or better off buying a new rig.

cpu: i5 650 3.20GHZ
    gpu: Geforce GT 240
    memory: 3.6gb
    storage: 300GB
    mb: only info I have for it is x86 if that helps

This is exclusive to Wow since it's the only game I play, Would love to be able to play at High settings with no frame lag. Currently I play at low settings and it's awful.
    Unfortunately you're SoL... finding a CPU of that socket is a pain and even then it requires a good bit of OCing to do what you want.

Is your rig a self built rig or a pre-made (like HP etc.) and can you more specifically give us your specs (like case, PSU etc.) as well as max. budget and your location.

Because honestly I think your current rig is best off being given to a family member to use as a PC for light gaming/work. (especially that GFX card)

I'm not too surprised to hear that. It's an old PC and I don't mind replacing, was just trying to find a cheaper alternative. Now that we have that out of the way, maybe I could get some help as to current systems that would make my gaming more enjoyable.

Since I'd be going with something brand new, I'd really like to be able to play at max settings. Only thing I play currently is WoW, but I'd still like to be future proofed just in case. Also a new monitor would be nice, been playing on a 19" LG W2053TQ. Probably a 24" screen is something I would go for. I don't have much experience but I will most likely be making this my first pc build. If I could get a suggested pcpartpicker canada list for something in my budget that would help alot! Thanks!

Budget: ~1250 Canadian dollars for the desktop, I can go up to 1500 but please explain what the extra money would give me.
    ~250 Canadian dollars for the monitor

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not too surprised to hear that. It's an old PC and I don't mind replacing, was just trying to find a cheaper alternative. Now that we have that out of the way, maybe I could get some help as to current systems that would make my gaming more enjoyable.

Since I'd be going with something brand new, I'd really like to be able to play at max settings. Only thing I play currently is WoW, but I'd still like to be future proofed just in case. Also a new monitor would be nice, been playing on a 19" LG W2053TQ. Probably a 24" screen is something I would go for. I don't have much experience but I will most likely be making this my first pc build. If I could get a suggested pcpartpicker canada list for something in my budget that would help alot! Thanks!

Budget: ~1250 Canadian dollars for the desktop, I can go up to 1500 but please explain what the extra money would give me.
    ~250 Canadian dollars for the monitor
    I'm not too familliar with the best deal websites in Canada but there are plenty of people here who are.

I can assist with information and optimizations but I'd rather someone from the US/CA help you out on a total price list because I simply don't know all the shops and options available to those shops.

European prices in general would probably make you cringe if I made you the list like that.

Thanks a lot Evildeffy, and yes I am happy I won't be paying in euros!

Anyone else able to throw me a bone for canada partpicker?

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Budget: ~1250 Canadian dollars for the desktop ~250 Canadian dollars for the monitor
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.50 @ Vuugo)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.98 @ NCIX)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.50 @ shopRBC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.97 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($416.79 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.00 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.58 @ Amazon Canada)
    Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($214.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1571.27
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 11:07 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

This is my Rig, except the PSU - I have the EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR, only because it was on sale for $79 US which is a really good price. More PSU than I need.

You might consider a bigger SSD since 120 gig fills fast, but there is plenty of space for a couple of your most played games and your OS on 120 gigs.

Let me know if you have any questions on this build.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; 2015-09-01 at 03:07 PM.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

15+ Year Old Account
    The above build is fine.. however my 2 cents:

I don't prefer using Samsung 850 EVO drives, much rather would use Crucial MX200.. proven reliability is higher and far less issues than the 850 EVO.
    The speed difference is by all means irrelevant.

I am however not a fan of NZXT cases as I always find they have some quirks I do not agree with or are just plain butt ugly.
    I am however quite unsure of what other case to offer you since Canadian prices are slightly weird to me when I look at the newegg.ca
    I did however find this for the same price class: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811139062

As far as monitor goes: That's OK as far as screen panel goes but that stand (to me at least) is infuriating as hell, it's 100% jiggle time with that stand.
    I would recommend something of iiyama but I don't think iiyama is available in Canada?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I don't prefer using Samsung 850 EVO drives, much rather would use Crucial MX200.. proven reliability is higher and far less issues than the 850 EVO. The speed difference is by all means irrelevant.
    The 850 EVO has just as much proven reliability as the MX line, and there are no issues with the 850. The 840's had some problems, but that all has been rectified with the 850. I went with the 850 because the case in the build above really shows off the SSD, and the Crucial line are ugly. Speaking of cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I am however not a fan of NZXT cases as I always find they have some quirks I do not agree with or are just plain butt ugly.
    I am however quite unsure of what other case to offer you since Canadian prices are slightly weird to me when I look at the newegg.ca
    I did however find this for the same price class: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811139062
    I own that NZXT S340 case, and it is simply the best case I have ever owned. Solid construction, great cable management, and plenty of open space inside for excellent air flow. Plus a sleek, plain look to it. So - no quirks. But in terms of looks, what one person finds ugly, someone else finds awesome. It's all a mater of Eye of the Beholder and what not. As for the case you linked, that case will not work with the build above. The case you linked is a micro ATX case and I have a full ATX MoBo in the build.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Would I be able to run WoW smoothly at ultra settings with this build? Because that's what I am aiming for now since I'm gonna go for a new desktop and not upgrading mine.

Also, I do not care about the look of it, it's in a corner and barely noticeable.
    Last edited by Skizzle27; 2015-09-01 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.50 @ Vuugo)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.98 @ NCIX)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.50 @ shopRBC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.97 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.58 @ Amazon Canada)
    Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($214.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1571.27
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 11:07 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

This is my Rig, except the PSU - I have the EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR, only because it was on sale for $79 US which is a really good price. More PSU than I need.

You might consider a bigger SSD since 120 gig fills fast, but there is plenty of space for a couple of your most played games and your OS on 120 gigs.

Let me know if you have any questions on this build.
    Good build but I would say on the CPU Cooler to look at the bq quiet! Pure Rock. It's around the same price, performs about the same but is a good deal quieter.

On the GPU you have a couple options. To save money you could drop the GPU to a GTX 960. For WoW it will be plenty and is still capable of playing most games currently out on Ultra and can likely maintain Medium-High settings for some years to come. You could also switch camps and look at an AMD. With DX12 it's looking like the current gen AMD cards will end up better as they were built with it in mind, so the architecture supports it better. A 390x would cost about the same as the 970.

7+ Year Old Account
    Would I be able to run WoW smoothly at ultra settings with this build? Because that's what I am aiming for now since I'm gonna go for a new desktop and not upgrading mine.

Also, I do not care about the look of it, it's in a corner and barely noticeable.
    The build I provided will run WoW on Ultra. I get 60 FPS in raids on Ultra - crushes it. In fact, there is not a single game I own that I can't get great frame rates on with the best settings at 1080.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you want to go with the 390x, you might need a bigger PSU.

Be Quiet! makes good CPU coolers - the pure rock is a bit more expensive, but the pure rock has a bit of a flaw in that the heatpipes don't contact the CPU directly, unlike the 212 EVO, instead they pass though an aluminum block. They don't cool as well, but they are quieter, and they cool well enough. Not sure if it is worth the 10 bucks since you likely wont hear the 212 - I never hear mine. I hate the 212 just on looks. I'd slap in the all-in-one water cooler, the X61 Kraken, if I were to build my computer all over again and I had unlimited cash!

Here is the Pure Rock's heat pipes:

And the 212 Evo:

10+ Year Old Account
    Be Quiet! makes good CPU coolers - the pure rock is a bit more expensive, but the pure rock has a bit of a flaw in that the heatpipes don't contact the CPU directly, unlike the 212 EVO, instead they pass though an aluminum block. They don't cool as well, but they are quieter, and they cool well enough. Not sure if it is worth the 10 bucks since you likely wont hear the 212 - I never hear mine. I hate the 212 just on looks. I'd slap in the all-in-one water cooler, the X61 Kraken, if I were to build my computer all over again and I had unlimited cash!

Here is the Pure Rock's heat pipes:
    [IMG]http://www.bequiet.com/admin/FileServer.php?src=be-quiet.net/volumes/PDM/_products/bk009/bk009_w_l_3.jpg&width=570[IMG]

And the 212 Evo:
    [IMG]http://assets.coolermaster.com/global/uploadfile/fileproduct_list/P1302180416de94/PRDPIC/290_8037d6cfde10b74e7609b0bc6af2df8a_1361408993.jpg[IMG]
    Yet 212 Evo performs worse.
    I would go with a Cryorig H7 for budget but that doesn't really exist outside of US.

Deleted
    Skylake build with o/s and monitor:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($41.24 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($143.31 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($125.11 @ shopRBC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($119.99 @ NCIX)
    Monitor: Asus MX239H 23.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1855.16
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 14:26 EDT-0400

If you go Haswell with 50 more you can fit an i7 (if you need it) while keeping the 16gb of ram. Or you can just pick 2x4gb for now to save abit.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($435.75 @ shopRBC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($41.24 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($105.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($125.11 @ shopRBC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($119.99 @ NCIX)
    Monitor: Asus MX239H 23.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1902.60
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 14:28 EDT-0400
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-09-01 at 06:29 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yet 212 Evo performs worse.[/img]
    Interesting. I saw some benchmarks that should the opposite! Well, 2% relative (not sure relative to what) for 10 Canadian and a bit quiet might be worth it. I by no means am trying to defend the 212, and I like Be Quiet quite a bit. Especially that Dark Rock 3!

Kostattoo I'm really digging that skylake build, seems more of a future proofed build which is important to me also. The only thing I'm not sure about is the monitor, there's mixed reviews on amazon. Any other suggestions in that same price range? Or is that one my best bet?

Thank you everyone for helping me out, I'm getting great feedback.

15+ Year Old Account
    The 850 EVO has just as much proven reliability as the MX line, and there are no issues with the 850. The 840's had some problems, but that all has been rectified with the 850. I went with the 850 because the case in the build above really shows off the SSD, and the Crucial line are ugly. Speaking of cases...
    Actually the 850 EVO lines have had 2 firmware issues with slowdowns and even an update that bricked the SSDs.
    Not to mention that some Linux kernels actually screwed over the TRIM command in the Samsung 850 drives in general.

The MX line has had 0 issues and is built upon the extremely successful M400/M500/M550 of which only the M400 had a critical issue which was fixed in less than a week (after 5000 hours of service it would BSoD Windows every hour exactly).

The reliability of Crucial is without question the king in this.

I own that NZXT S340 case, and it is simply the best case I have ever owned. Solid construction, great cable management, and plenty of open space inside for excellent air flow. Plus a sleek, plain look to it. So - no quirks. But in terms of looks, what one person finds ugly, someone else finds awesome. It's all a mater of Eye of the Beholder and what not. As for the case you linked, that case will not work with the build above. The case you linked is a micro ATX case and I have a full ATX MoBo in the build.
    I have stated that I wasn't fond of NZXT cases, what others think is of course their choice.

For example that S340 case is fully glossy... why the HELL would you want a glossy case really?
    Or the fact that there's no ODD drive in it, now whilst I know and agree it's no longer really necessary some, like me, prefer to have a DVD drive to always have a "shit has hit the fan issues" and allows for easier diagnostics than using USB.

As said these are my personal opinions, others may find my opinions rubbish and yet others may find it valuable.

However... the case, you are correct indeed... luckily there's always the option of going mATX as well!

Anyone with some advice on the monitor? I've been looking at them and i'm a little lost now. Tn or ips?
    The one that sort of caught my eye is the BenQ XL2411Z, but it's TN and some people are saying ips is much better..thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone with some advice on the monitor? I've been looking at them and i'm a little lost now. Tn or ips?
    The one that sort of caught my eye is the BenQ XL2411Z, but it's TN and some people are saying ips is much better..thoughts?
    I would pick a proper IPS panel display if you play mostly WoW and possibly some off games.

If you're going high speed competitive FPS gaming than a higher Hz TN panel is good.

Whilst yes there are reasons to promote both considering 60Hz is plenty I'd rather go with the better colours of an IPS than refresh rate for WoW.