Poll: Founder's Packs: Yay or Nay

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Founder's Packs: Yay or Nay

What are your thoughts on the "founder's pack" gimick that's been popping up over the past few years?

Deleted
    Did it once, never doing it again.

Eh, it's essentially a preorder. Which means I'm largely uninterested in the slightest, but depending on the developer/franchise of the game I may be confident enough to pick one up.

It's just another way to get more $ aka it's crap.

I'm not sure I've ever seen one that represented good value to me.

Why is "meh" not an option?

I mean the middle option is close.... But not the same.
    ~RAWR!

Deleted
    Too expensive... usually :P
    Well, overall I always got little time to play so I always have something to play and I don't feel the need to spend money to try out other games. I don't mind waiting =)

7+ Year Old Account
    At this point there's a couple I'm sad I didn't grab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Why are founder packs a gimmick exactly?

They are optional. One is not forced to purchase anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one founder's pack I took. Which is Galactic Civilization 3. Which allows me all future expansions and DLC for free. Plus I was able to name a Solar System that is randomly generated when you play the game. It is also from Stardock which means I'll get 2-3 expansion quality content for years to come.

It really depends on the game. In some it is just a blatant money grab, but in others it can have some nice perks for showing your faith in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea, but I don't pre-order games.

It can be a risk, so don't spend what you can't afford. Look at Landmark, for example.

Depends on the game, the company, and if I enjoyed beta.

I've done it before, will do it again if the circumstances are right.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    All it does is give people a way to "prove" they played at day one. Which is typically only important in douche offs.
    This is incorrect. These packs grant access to the games testing phases, and almost always include a series of cosmetic and convenience items as well as cash shop currency.

Also, let's not insult others, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only really remember the Founder's Pack of Heroes of the Storm and I wouldn't have purchased it even if I didn't have the Beta at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even know what Founder's Packs were before I stumbled upon this thread and googled it. So, I guess, it is neither "Yay" nor "Nay" for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    If you're against "founder's packs", then you're against the entire concept of Kickstarter, and want to bury a hell of a lot of great projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If you're against "founder's packs", then you're against the entire concept of Kickstarter, and want to bury a hell of a lot of great projects.
    This is not true at all. Kickstarter is to fund projects that would otherwise not be funded and created. Founders packs are early monetization for products which are already largely funded and will be released. It's the F2P version of preorders.