Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Personally I hate where they have taken the story. As a story it is kinda awesome actually but to have it be part of the Halo canon upsets me. It's like Bungie built up this awesome universe to just have 343 totally discard it. Like....it's still there but Halo 4 made me cringe way more than it should have. I still love the series and will be buying Halo 5 but honestly if it doesn't wow me I may be done with the series.

OT: Cinematic looks awesome. Love seeing Spartans tear shit up. I just hate that Spartans are so fucking common now though. The awesome thing about Halo was that Master Chief was the last spartan against impossible odds. They made the Humans too fucking good now that they practically just walk all over the Covenant now. There is no sense of urgency anymore.
    There was always other Spartans around, the Chief was never the last as part of his squad is still alive and kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    There was always other Spartans around, the Chief was never the last as part of his squad is still alive and kicking.
    Sort of. Sure the novels showed such, but Halo 1-3 didn't. In the original games MC was the last Spartan.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    That's sort of the point, focusing on her to the extent of removing blame from others. Focusing the series on the dirty politics, minimizing the events of Halo 1-3 to a large extent and recreating the world around their new team. Breaking up the Elites again and undoing the Civil War through dirty politics, bringing Didact forward? ugh.

The Forerunner stuff was just badly done IMO, from their explanation of why they call themselves Forerunners (rather than this being a title the Covenant gave the mythical ancestors), to the fact they had a war with the advanced human civilization of the past (allied with the Prophets!) before being devolved and taught... songs... The entire background doesn't sync with Halo 1-3 and is just bad.

In any case, you (and plenty of others I assume) like the new material, so have fun with it! Others, like myself, think they're utter crap and ruined the game. Opinions are opinions.
    The forrunner story in the games was pretty badly done, But greg bear did a absolute fantastic job of painting the forerunner picture in the 3 part book series covering them. I guess it was less so to me because i had the backround of the books, where the average player was like WTF IS THIS SHIT. Nowadays its hard to present such a deep and complex story esspecially one that ranges millions of years like the halo one without backstory, as much as some bitch about having to read the novels it helps greatly.

The actual cgi was well done but I think a lot of the cinematics for games at this point is falling into that Uncanny Valley for me.
    Thats the ingame engine dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Sort of. Sure the novels showed such, but Halo 1-3 didn't. In the original games MC was the last Spartan.
    No he was the only spartan that the games focused on, blue team made it to earth and fought on an orbital elevator. The games focused on the hero of the series. Dont ignore the backstory novels because OMG they require reading. If you love a franchise or universe why not learn as much about it as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    you played the beta? because it works perfectly.
    Yes I did play the beta, and I still hate them. They ruin the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Nathan Fillion looks odd as an animated character. That being said, he's my man crush and it's Nathan Fillion and the game is worth buying for that alone.

Nathan fillion... *droools*

*Sploosh*

But will have to see, after Halo 4 I am still tearing up thinking about it.. I don't think I've healed enough after that trauma

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cannot wait to watch a all cutscenes playthrough on youtube to learn the story. Really enjoyed Halo 4's and its Chief - Cortana relationship, i wonder where they will go with that one

"About being a machine"
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

The forrunner story in the games was pretty badly done, But greg bear did a absolute fantastic job of painting the forerunner picture in the 3 part book series covering them. I guess it was less so to me because i had the backround of the books, where the average player was like WTF IS THIS SHIT. Nowadays its hard to present such a deep and complex story esspecially one that ranges millions of years like the halo one without backstory, as much as some bitch about having to read the novels it helps greatly.
    I read the first Forerunner novel, didn't read the following two because I thought the first one sucked that badly. As I mentioned, I knew the material and was disappointed that they carried it into Halo4, because I didn't like it.

Thats the ingame engine dude.
    Sure, Halo's cutscenes always (afaik) used the ingame engine. Still has that "Uncanny Valley" feel for me, too overly detailed while also not photo-realistic, so just... odd.

No he was the only spartan that the games focused on, blue team made it to earth and fought on an orbital elevator. The games focused on the hero of the series. Dont ignore the backstory novels because OMG they require reading. If you love a franchise or universe why not learn as much about it as you can.
    When MC and the Pillar fled Reach, they figured he was the last Spartan. The games portrayed this as a known thing, and only later in the novels were other Spartans out there. Within Halo 1-3 campaign, where are the other Spartans? In any case, guy said "thought he was the only one" someone said "no, always more", so I explained that the game portrayed him as last and the novels added more. The later games used the novels material going forward.

Not sure why the "don't ignore the backstory novels because OMG they require reading" since I've read plenty of them, and I have seen a steady decline in the story quality and even referenced such.

I read the first Forerunner novel, didn't read the following two because I thought the first one sucked that badly. As I mentioned, I knew the material and was disappointed that they carried it into Halo4, because I didn't like it.
    do explain how it sucked? Greg bear is hands down one of the best deep scifi writers of our time right now and he masterfully told the forerunner saga.

Not sure why the "don't ignore the backstory novels because OMG they require reading" since I've read plenty of them, and I have seen a steady decline in the story quality and even referenced such.
    I still dont get how the story quality has declined as the books went from being written by noboddys to very accomplished and good writers and the stories only got better.

too overly detailed while also not photo-realistic, so just... odd.
    its called next gen.

do explain how it sucked? Greg bear is hands down one of the best deep scifi writers of our time right now and he masterfully told the forerunner saga.
    I already mentioned some details, but it comes down to opinion, so it's silly to discuss. Perhaps you can prove why it was good? Of course not, it's opinion.

I still dont get how the story quality has declined as the books went from being written by noboddys to very accomplished and good writers and the stories only got better.
    The hazards of getting established writers into a developed universe is that they write their style and fit the universe to it. That may not be a great fit for the universe and such variances may attract some while repulsing others. As well, there was a shift from Bungie to 343.

its called next gen.
    Everything is nextgen at some point. To use a different example, the Mists of Pandaria trailer had the same "overly detailed but bad" look of things. It's obviously a preference thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching this reminded me of Gavin Free's running down a mountain to survive falling. XD

I'm willing to bet he was somehow related to this trailer.

https://youtu.be/aSKU39nK3cQ?t=9m27s

The hazards of getting established writers into a developed universe is that they write their style and fit the universe to it. That may not be a great fit for the universe and such variances may attract some while repulsing others. As well, there was a shift from Bungie to 343.
    The first 3 halo books were OK, the flood was just a novel adaption of halo 1, fall of reach was back story, and first strike was a continuation of halo 1 bridging to halo 2. After that they just full expanded using good writers and they did perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

Because getting attached to a person (AI in this case) after being together in war for years, not being separated ever in that entire time is normal to you? It surprises me he didn't have a mental breakdown on the spot, but than again I'm not a soldier so I don't know how people handle loss in war.
    He's the master chief. He's a spartan 2. There's no emotionality there nor was there ever meant to be. They don't become attached to things.

Games looking overly fast paced and squad based with distinct breakage from halo norms by focusing on Spartan lockes story. Bungie did this exceptionally well,with the arbiter but considering how halo was humans vs covenant from the beginning it made sense.

I'll try it out for sure but my expectations are very tempted and the opening cinematic didn't really do anything for hype like locke talking to the arbiter did for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15