Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Alliance Is Mercenary Mods going to do *anything*?

I'm not a PvPer, first and foremost. But this idea of being able to switch sides, it's interesting, and I figured it was a nice fix. As it stands at the moment, it's all Alliance, all day, always victorious, correct? So...what kind of masochistic Alliance players are going to swap to Horde? Who's going to switch sides so they can lose? And the Horde, are people really going to remain Horde-side and wait for the Alliance population to drop so that the fight becomes fair; Wouldn't they just switch to Alliance so they can actually win?

Am I missing some key tidbit here? Is this change only being implemented to attempt to soften the long queue times and not the horrendous "Alliance wins, Horde loses" balance issue? I figured that's what it was going to fix, but I can't see how it'll help.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

The whole concept of mercenary mode is stupid to me. If people cared more about fast queues than they did about winning, the factions would already be balanced. This is just a pitiful attempt to dodge the actual issues inherent in a faction based game, made worse by racials. It will probably see a little use early on until people realize why they faction changed in the first place.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not aimed at faction balance (in terms of win/loss), just queue times.

Mercenary mode is largely a test for features to come imo.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

If you have a realm where you get instant invites - the mode is useless.
    But if you are on a 90/10 realm and you have to wait 1+ hour until a BG opens, you just go mercenary and get instant invited.
    That's the whole idea behind this. To lower the waiting times.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    It's not aimed at faction balance (in terms of win/loss), just queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    If you have a realm where you get instant invites - the mode is useless.
    But if you are on a 90/10 realm and you have to wait 1+ hour until a BG opens, you just go mercenary and get instant invited.
    That's the whole idea behind this. To lower the waiting times.
    So its only goal is to alleviate extreme queue times for the unfortunate people who play the lesser faction on drastically imbalanced servers. Got it.

I'm...not sure why I saw it as an attempt to fix the balance discrepancy between Alliance & Horde.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Not really. Why would any Alliance take shorter queues for a higher loss chance? This only benefits the subgroup of players who do BGs purely to PvP, not people who are gearing up, going for achievements or playing to the objectives primarily.

All its going to take is a few bg's for anyone to see they will never want to use merc again.

Instant queues for instant losses great plan..

I don't think it will change anything. There will be horde queueing as ally for better chance at winning just as much as there will be ally queueing as horde for faster queues. Personally as horde I can't wait to win more often than I lose.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    I don't think it will change anything. There will be horde queueing as ally for better chance at winning just as much as there will be ally queueing as horde for faster queues. Personally as horde I can't wait to win more often than I lose.
    According to the post, it is only available when queue times are too big for one faction, so this shoudn't be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I agree 100%. I am speculating one of the "cool and neat" new features in Legion will be cross faction grouping options for all aspects of gameplay.
    Last edited by grandgato; 2015-09-01 at 08:34 PM.

I don't think it will have a big impact on anything. Maybe when queue time is slow, it will kind of. I think they miss a good opportunity to use mercenary mode to be able to queue with friend on the other fraction and help bridge the gap of having friends who play on the other fraction. Than again, this could be a test for a bigger feature like this later on.

Alliance sucks in Ashran, so i will definitely try this after reset tomorrow (EU).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    Not really. Why would any Alliance take shorter queues for a higher loss chance? This only benefits the subgroup of players who do BGs purely to PvP, not people who are gearing up, going for achievements or playing to the objectives primarily.
    Because waiting = 0 honor, 0 xp, 0 anything
    If you get into a bg you have a chance to win it and even if you lost you still get some xp, some honor and so on.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    Some people just want to play BGs, regardless of win or lose, but hate the queue timers.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Still getting queues of 20+ minutes without the NPC showing up.

Mercenary mode does not work.

ye no npc for eu..
    Im already 13 minutes in queue
    It isnt enabled yet?

Meh, don't most people farm in middle anyway?

What I don't understand is why this feature isn't an option for low level players. Can anyone explain?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploitbat View Post
    Meh, don't most people farm in middle anyway?

What I don't understand is why this feature isn't an option for low level players. Can anyone explain?
    Is this not working yet in EU servers? I would like to join the winning side in Ashran for once.

Merc mode is stupid;
    Doesn't resolve anything;
    Another holinka fail LOL

7+ Year Old Account
    Merc mode seems pretty effective and a nice fresh change for me, at least. There's some hostility in BG chat over it but I merc'd over to Horde and actually won a handful of AVs even though I almost always won them on Alliance.