Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kings Road View Post
    Squatting down on the loo, the day after leg day.

Dat feel.
    The best feel. Also, lying in bed and realizing if you move your lower body at all then it's all aboard the paintrain.

Regarding the workout, there's nothing wrong with full body work outs. I give them to beginners usually, but I have seen people get amazing results from doing them consistently. If you want to put a full body workout together, literally take one exercise per body part and do your 2-4 sets, 10-12 reps and go at it every other day. Personally, I'd start with a back squat instead of waiting til the end of the work out where I'd be fatigued - if the order you have it is indeed the order you'd perform them. Can always alternate the exercises in an upper/lower fashion (i.e. Bench, squat, row, lunge/hip thrust, etc.) then the next time you're in the gym just start lower/upper this time and do deadlifts IF your form is on point otherwise you will hurt yourself and not be able to do much of anything.

People swear by body-part splits, but you can get great results from doing full body, upper/lower, push/pull/legs splits just as well. Test the waters a bit and see what works best for you.

OT: what's wrong with BB.com? Sure it's got some silly things from time to time, but it's certainly a pretty reliable resource when they're not getting you to buy things haha.
    Last edited by Jaronicity; 2015-09-17 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Had to go to college the day after leg day once, and my classroom is on the 3rd floor, and no they don't have a lift.

Going up wasn't the issue, going down however.....
    if you're not weight lifting for the first time or after a layoff and you are still getting soreness to this degree, you are:

not hitting a muscle group with enough frequency (probably once a week) which is sub optimal in terms of strength and muscle gains.

It DOES NOT take a week to recover a muscle group, so doing it once a week you are losing out on more volume. MPS lasts at MAX 48 hours.

If you want to maximize gains you must increase your volume (tonnage, load x reps x sets) over time. And at a certain point this makes it almost impossible to train 1x week frequency.

That said, if you don't care about being optimal and have fun/are happy with 1x a week and it keeps you training, that is better than nothing.

My advice would be to following the daily undulating periodization theory of training.

Ex. of my training below. RPE = rating of perceived exertion, 8 = 2 reps left in tank, 9 = 1 rep left, etc. + = AMRAP = as many reps as possible on last set)

I'm not including accessory work for the sake of time such as rows, but they will be included.

Day 1:
    Squat 4x8 @ 8 RPE
    Bench 4x8 @ 8 RPE
    Deadlift 3x6 @ 8 RPE

Day 3:
    Squat 5x6 @ 8 RPE
    Bench 5 x 6 @ 8 RPE

Day 5:
    Squat 6 x 4+ 9.5 RPE
    Bench 6 x 4+ 9.5 RPE
    Deadlift 4x4+ 9.5 RPE

Day 6:
    Fluff work

The reason that you stop short of failure is so that you can include more volume over the week as a whole. You cannot look at it in the perspective of each day. If you are constantly going to failure you will limit your volume and growth potential.

Note that this is not a set routine. The rep undulation changes over time as intensity increases and volume will go down as this happens.

The next block would be something like 6, 4, 2 with increased intensity (intensity block) followed by a taper. Then moving into a volume block such as 12, 10, 8s where volume will be increased compared to the last volume block at this rep scheme.

Everyone needs different amounts of volume to progress. Some people need very little and some people need a lot. It also depends on your training age. Get by on the least amount of volume possible that you are still seeing progress on.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-09-17 at 05:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    personally I cant stand the idea of full body work outs, unless your aim is mediocrity.

also where are your shoulder exercises or your lats? or your lower back?

What do I recommend personally?

day 1: push (aka chest/triceps)
    day 2: pull (back/biceps)
    day 3: legs & shoulders
    day 4: rest
    repeat.

This is the best type of program imo. Much better than bodybuilding splits. Hitting every muscle twice a week (aka high frequency) is the best if you're natural. Your workouts don't need to be high volume, they can be 45min-1hr as long as you hit everything twice a week.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deeyar View Post
    What do I recommend personally?

day 1: push (aka chest/triceps)
    day 2: pull (back/biceps)
    day 3: legs & shoulders
    day 4: rest
    repeat.

This is the best type of program imo. Much better than bodybuilding splits. Hitting every muscle twice a week (aka high frequency) is the best if you're natural. Your workouts don't need to be high volume, they can be 45min-1hr as long as you hit everything twice a week.
    no core? tisk sir, tisk I say!

Stopped reading after I saw full body followed by curls and calf raises.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I would tend to disagree

Here is the thing almost all popular full body programs contain those two excersises and for different reasons.
    1. Programs contain curls because more likely than not you are going to implement them anyways and a single isolation excersise is not a program killer.
    2. Calf raises are the best workout for calves(PERIOD)

Quote Originally Posted by Kings Road View Post
    Considering doing full body workouts for a few months. Just looking for better overall definition.

Just a quick example:

Barbell Bench Press - Medium Grip
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Dumbbell Bench Press
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell Curl
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Dips - Triceps Version
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Hanging Leg Raise
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell Squat
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Standing Calf Raises
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Don't pay too much attention to the sets/reps. How many of you do full body workouts? How have they worked for you? What do you recommend personally? etc etc

Cheers!
    Dead hang pull ups, and throw some core in there
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)