10+ Year Old Account

Early concept of Legion Survival possibility

Ice trap replaced with Noxious Trap, rendering a target incapacitated except not usable on undead.

Frost trap replaced with Grease Slick, which retains the area of effect slow, but useless against flying foes, but the slow is applied at a high rate initially, then decreases over time or distance.

Explosive trap can be manually triggered, and produces its area of effect damage in normal radius. In addition, if the hunter is in camoflauge and enemies are unaware, they will turn and focus their attention on the blast, similar to a rogue’s Distract ability.

Addition of Bear Trap, which applies a short duration root effect, but has the additional bonus of two being active simultaneously.

Replace Black Arrow with Shadow dance, a damage over time aura emitted from the hunter, with a chance from damage dealt to trigger a Dragon Strike cooldown reset and cost removal, up to 2 charges.

Addition of Growl for the hunter. Less effective than a true taunt, this behaves like a weaker version of the pet ability Growl, but in addition to threat gains, a minor damage increase for the hunter is also gained. Replaces Misdirection for Survival. However, Feign Death is available more often.

Based on weapon type, a survival hunter gains one ability usable at range, that also acts as a gap closer. A two handed axe hunter might hook their foe towards them, where a dual wielding swordsman might lunge or even a dagger user pounce on their opponent.

It’s a bit unlike anything I’ve seen before, but it keeps some old nostalgia as well. Hopefully, the almost entire removal of survival damage from “magical” types of nature, frost, fire, and shadow combined with the unique flavor of each weapon’s style will allow Survival to stand apart from other melee, as well as from the other hunter specs.

In a general sense, the survival hunter trades the security of range to their target, in exchange for more utility, flexibility, and such. The thought of changing weapon based on the situation rather than changing a talent or spec has value, especially in legion, though it’d be likely through different stances rather than actual weapons.

Two handed axe style, Spear/Polearm style, Dual sword style, and Dagger style in a sense more like the old aspect system rather than the warrior stance system. At the cost of a GCD, a hunter could sheathe one weapon, and draw the next as easily as changing their sting.

Since the survival hunter is primarily focused on their Dragon strike, simply have each sting be a different ability that applied each, but choosing wisely is neccessary, as mistakenly using scorpid on a spellcaster, or serpent on a foe needing to die quickly could spell doom.

Fatal sting is the execute ability, only usable on targets near death’s door, but dealing great damage. In addition, any target slain by a Fatal sting will grant the hunter an immediate proc effect from Shadow Dance as well.

Been putting this as many places as I can, to get it out there early enough. Most responses so far have been positive, especially from design folks who could actually make it a reality. As such, feedback, discussion, constructive criticism are more than welcome.

I have been loyal to survival since I first tried it during patch 3.3 and I have long been annoyed by how much magic-type damage the spec did, and how similar it was to a DoT caster more so than other Hunter specs. Rexxar is a partial inspiration, but honestly, those puny axes would not even scratch some foes, so a big spear would be needed for those times.

Took some old flavors from back when, such as chimera shot interacting with different stings, as well as the rework of old traditional abilities such as Misdirection and Disengage, turning them from the tools of a hunter who prefers to stay at a distance into the tools of one who gets into the fray instead.

But early concept needs polish, discussion and such.

All I know is, I want to play it even if it's not viable during testing. Anyone else?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kemanorel View Post

Addition of Growl for the hunter. Less effective than a true taunt, this behaves like a weaker version of the pet ability Growl, but in addition to threat gains, a minor damage increase for the hunter is also gained. Replaces Misdirection for Survival. However, Feign Death is available more often.
    Honestly that sounds very strange to have a damage increase component to it. I thought Blizzard wouldn't want that style of ability considering they removed the damage bonus from TotT for rogues
    start9

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kemanorel View Post

Been putting this as many places as I can, to get it out there early enough. Most responses so far have been positive, especially from design folks who could actually make it a reality. As such, feedback, discussion, constructive criticism are more than welcome.

I have been loyal to survival since I first tried it during patch 3.3 and I have long been annoyed by how much magic-type damage the spec did, and how similar it was to a DoT caster more so than other Hunter specs. Rexxar is a partial inspiration, but honestly, those puny axes would not even scratch some foes, so a big spear would be needed for those times.

Took some old flavors from back when, such as chimera shot interacting with different stings, as well as the rework of old traditional abilities such as Misdirection and Disengage, turning them from the tools of a hunter who prefers to stay at a distance into the tools of one who gets into the fray instead.

But early concept needs polish, discussion and such.

All I know is, I want to play it even if it's not viable during testing. Anyone else?
    so basically you just put up your own concept?

They may not even use traps or traps may be gone by that time just have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would kind of like to see more intuitive traps that you can combine to create new effects. For instance a tar trap that slows opponents down, but when you throw an explosive trap on top of it, it explodes for a burst of damage and lights the tar on fire so it not only slows but also does DoT... I dunno, I feel like traps have always been pretty lame, but could be cooler if Blizz tried.

These are legit or your "early concept" OP??

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    These are legit or your "early concept" OP??
    The title quite literally says that it's an early concept. Do people not read the name of threads they're clicking on..

Quote Originally Posted by Niix View Post
    The title quite literally says that it's an early concept. Do people not read the name of threads they're clicking on..
    I think the subtlety fell deaf on your ears.
    Do you not read the obvious subtlety that quite literally is blatant and apparent?
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    I think the subtlety fell deaf on your ears.
    Do you not read the obvious subtlety that quite literally is blatant and apparent?
    Subtlety about what lol, if he's subtlety poking fun at the original thread I clearly missed it, because his post was worded as a completely normal question -_- with not a single hint of him being sarcastic at ALL.

The "Subtlety" went over my head because there wasn't any.
    Last edited by Niix; 2015-09-09 at 05:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niix View Post
    Subtlety about what lol, if he's subtlety poking fun at the original thread I clearly missed it, because his post was worded as a completely normal question -_- with not a single hint of him being sarcastic at ALL.

The "Subtlety" went over my head because there wasn't any.
    Rephrasing the original question:
    Is this your early concept or blizzards?

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Rephrasing the original question:
    Is this your early concept or blizzards?
    From OP post:

Been putting this as many places as I can, to get it out there early enough. Most responses so far have been positive, especially from design folks who could actually make it a reality.

He just made that up, yeah , hype does that

Melee hunter ruining one of the specs I enjoyed. Hope this doesn't happen but blizzard likes to ruin fun things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Melee hunter ruining one of the specs I enjoyed. Hope this doesn't happen but blizzard likes to ruin fun things.
    Sorry man but there is really no chance they will reverse this decision, they already designed the artifact weapon and are most likely reworking the spec and talants

A dagger as a gap closer??? Wouldn't taking a step closer work better?

Seriously though making a gap closer based on weapon type will never work because:
    1. Too many animation work
    2. It would lead to weapon swapping in combat which is silly

They also already announced a harpoon ability.

Also your ice/frost trap replacements sound weaker than the current implementations.

A dot aura also seems silly. Why would you let a class do damage by just standing afk?