Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

If AI, artificial intelligence, is 20 years away, what career to pick?

Say you knew for certain that AI was 20 years away. This would be a self aware program that was fully self aware and conscious. In combinations with robots, it could do a wide variety of jobs.

What would you advise a 16-18 year old just starting in the job market?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

That yellow guy's job:
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Mechanical engineering. Which I wish I had took instead of robotics engineering.

Also soldier, we'll need them to kill of the AI.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2015-09-02 at 05:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    My guess would be something in social work, robots can't properly hug babies

Robotics will probably still suck. If you wanted to be safe, go with something that requires physical dexterity in an unstructured enviromenrt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The fall of the [Berlin] wall was a mistake. Germans are becoming too dangerous again. Their action in Ukraine show that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Robo-fluffer. Sure, there's not much demand for it now, but just you wait!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Robo-fluffer. Sure, there's not much demand for it now, but just you wait!
    Just a few more twists of my wrench....

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Data Scientist, AI researcher, etc, etc:
    Seems to me a true AI can do both those jobs way better than any human.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    That said, I think true conscious AI may be further down the line. The current Weak AI will get a lot better, Deep Learning has been a great boon, but the algorithms could get better so you do not need as much data/training to actually get anything worthwhile.
    Oh come on, there is nothing more fun to watch than robot that is confused about being stuck in a corner several times

Politics. Robots can do anything a human does. But you'll never have people voting for robots.

I guess a cop/bodyguard would be good too, because I doubt people would feel secure with Robocops walking the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    CS/EE is way to go.
    How can a human possibly compete with an AI when it comes to CS/EE? Can you give me the area under a curve instantly, without even thinking about it?

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How can a human possibly compete with an AI when it comes to CS/EE? Can you give me the area under a curve instantly, without even thinking about it?
    He didn't say they could compete, I'm assuming CS/EE will be required skills to kill off the evil AI's!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Oh come on, there is nothing more fun to watch than robot that is confused about being stuck in a corner several times
    I wonder if it's as funny when it's a giant metal claw coming at you like you're a toy in an arcade machine. Yeah, it bumps the sides a few times before it manages to grab you.

Deleted
    Data Scientist, AI researcher, etc, etc:

There was a good article about it here:

Artificial-Intelligence Experts Are in High Demand
    Tech firms, universities stock research centers amid push in hot area of computer science

http://www.wsj.com/articles/artifici...and-1430472782

That said, I think true conscious AI may be further down the line. The current Weak AI will get a lot better, Deep Learning has been a great boon, but the algorithms could get better so you do not need as much data/training to actually get anything worthwhile.

Deep Q Learning is also pretty interesting, and you can play around with it here:
    http://cs.stanford.edu/people/karpat...mo/rldemo.html
    This, which is also the reason why I decided to become a Data Scientist.

Machines will never become self-aware or conscious, as consciousness is not a result of material combination. Either way, farming is a good choice. Whatever shit they'll be feeding the population in 20 years will be neither tasty nor nutritious, there will be no milk, rice, wheat, or sugar available and meat will be incredibly expensive as it becomes a luxury for the rich alone. Any degree of self-sustainability is going to be advantageous, both now and in the future.
    Happy new year to all, and to all a good night!

Pretty much this... and any STEAM (a for Art) jobs.
    You have a lot less faith in science than I do. I bet development on AI if graphed comes out on a logarithmic shape.

Not sure why you think AI requires quantum computers since our meat computers work just fine.

-- Capt. Copeland

What about creativity fields? I can't imagine robots being good at writing books unless they somehow can learn to simulate emotion and what not as well as humans.

I'm confused why anyone would want to go into a science/tech job if you're actually looking for work and not just something to satisfy your curiosity.