Haste Vs. Multistrike for RP Generation (Blood)

Did some quick math on haste and multi for RP gen, thought I'd share my results.

So I have recently been having an issue where heroic Hellrender simply will not drop, so I started to wonder how much worse Maul of the Tyrant really is for Breath builds. Surely, at some level of multistrike, haste will become valuable, since eventually you're multistriking so often that it's simply more efficient per point to simply swing more.

Turns out this is the case, unfortunately it requires (with a Hellrender(3.6 speed) and 19.9% haste, different swing speeds and haste % would modify this slightly but not enough to matter) 6440 multistrike rating in order for haste to equal multistrike for RP gen, even accounting for RP gen from runes. This is particularly troublesome, since multistrike actually caps 100% at 5610 rating and presumably no longer provides benefit above that. At around 2500 multistrike, haste generates about 3/5 as much RP as multistrike. So if Breath is your main concern and you're losing multi on a piece of gear in exchange for haste, you need to get 500 haste in exchange for 300 multi to break even which is only going to happen with massive item level disparities. Higher multistrike levels get a little more out of haste and lower get a little less, but to pull above 2500 you really need multi on every single piece of gear anyway so the point quickly becomes moot.

If anyone is interested in my math or thinks I may have made a mistake I'll pull the formulas out of my spreadsheet and post them, but I didn't want to turn this into more of a wall of text than it already is.

TL : DR
    You may think that haste becomes valuable with a lot of multistrike. It does not.

Could you post your math? Sorry for the trouble, I'd just like to take a look ><

Does your math include:
    1) Rune recharge speed increase from haste?
    2) Parry-haste mechonic?

Rune recharge, yes. Parry haste no, though that would be excessively difficult to map in any meaningful manner.

- - - Updated - - -

I calculated extra swings per attack by 2*(multistrike chance)(1-multistrike chance) +2(multistrike chance*multistrike chance) to get your average extra swings per attack. (chance of hit/miss + chance of miss/hit + double the chance of hit/hit on the multistrikes)

Multiplied average extra swings by 15 RP per swing

Multiplied by attacks per second (1/weapon speed) modified by haste

added base rune gen (3 runes every 10 seconds, modified by haste) then multiplied by 10 RP per rune

used 66 multistrike rating per 1% and 90 haste rating per 1%

Duplicated these calculations with +100 on the respective ratings and then tweaked the underlying ratings to see where the breakpoints are.

None of this surprises me. If I'm not mistaken, even Troxism's guide briefly touches on what you're saying that at a certain point of multistrike, you'll see the stats weigh a bit more towards haste/crit. (I'm really really broadly paraphrasing here)

I noticed this a little bit on my alt, (and this is really anecdotal, so I can't even back this up solidly with numbers) where despite my alt not having an extra extender like Arcane Torrent, I tended to keep BoS up easier than my main which does have Arcane Torrent. For a time, my alt had a lot of haste/crit items + multistrike from the Felbane gear. So, I was around 24-2500ish multi-strike even at like 690 ilvl or so. The biggest difference between my alt and my main was that my main actually geared somewhat more as a tank-centric role, so I still kept mastery on my gear where I could. My alt was pretty much a full out yolo Multi-strike --> Haste/Crit build.
    Last edited by Resurgo; 2015-09-03 at 01:22 AM.