Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Jimmy Kimmel on streaming/streaming general

Here's the link to the video:

So, I just stumbled upon this video and I think the point was lost upon the gamers. Jimmy Kimmel wasn't hating on the streaming community, just poking fun and it was more like a joke. Granted, a lot took this way too seriously - most likely because he actually struck a nerve and the hate just built.

Imo, I find streaming completely pointless because;
    1. it's often regular people who play and end up getting famous either because A. they're supposedly funny or B. they have tits or even C. they're supposedly good looking or some other reason.
    2. said regular people have never held a real job and never contributed to the society and they have no ambition for themselves because gaming is life and they'll get dirty rich, sitting at home all day, honing their superior sniper skills.
    3. they'll never think twice about getting a real job.
    4. what would they tell their children? what do they tell people who ask about their career? "I'm a professional gamer"

This is just my opinion but it's actually based off a concern of mine. I don't know if streamers have to pay taxes, since most of their money come from sponsors and donations - isn't society missing out on a lot of money? Each year, more and more people live solely off their online activities. They quit their jobs and stop contributing to the world, because who the heck would want to work when you can sit at home, play games and let the cash flow like tidal waves from a tsunami? It seems outrageous to me, but again, I'm not one to tell people what to do - although this does affect us or it at least will, when all high-schoolers start doing it and the colleges are left abandoned.

Is it really wise for this trend to continue? Can it really be considered a job? Of course it's amazing that people are doing what they love, but then again.

How can taking money from other people, without really needing it - and calling it donations, be accepted? These donations are funding this persons lifestyle, even though said person is perfectly capable of holding a real job and earning this him/herself? New computers, expensive trips around the world, holidays, luxurious stuff and more. It's a never-ending steady stream of materialistic items, achieved through "hard work" and/or given as "donations" - by the fans. These fans may be lulled into the belief that they're special and will become more special, the more they donate. Some may even empty their pockets, because they get an autograph or an item or something in return. How is this in any way okay? Sure, it's their own choice, they can do what they want, but seriously? Shouldn't someone speak up against it? It's insane.

Also, can we have a real debate about this, no flaming, no nasty comments. I just want to understand the appeal, that's all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    Imo, I find streaming completely pointless because;
    1. it's often regular people who play and end up getting famous either because A. they're supposedly funny or B. they have tits or even C. they're supposedly good looking or some other reason.
    2. said regular people have never held a real job and never contributed to the society and they have no ambition for themselves because gaming is life and they'll get dirty rich, sitting at home all day, honing their superior sniper skills.
    3. they'll never think twice about getting a real job.
    4. what would they tell their children? what do they tell people who ask about their career? "I'm a professional gamer"
    They entertain people they are professional entertainers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no!! People make money by providing a desired service to others in a capitalist society! Get your pitchforks, everyone!

If your argument is that they don't have a "real job" that contributes to society, you apparently have never looked at the multibillion dollar waste of space that is the sports industry.

Deleted
    If Tv does it they are just envious...

First Response to 'Avalanche'

Second Response to ^

As an avid gamer who watches people play once a while and a daily Jimmy Kimmel watcher; I didn't find the initial parody offensive. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he is a comedian.

What has made me lose respect for Jimmy is the fact that he's been instigating the situation everyday with these response when he should be letting the situation die down instead of increasing the controversy.
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2015-09-02 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you could say Jimmy Kimmel's job is pointless as well, they both are just providing entertainment.

That said, I have no interest in watching streamers and I think the whole phenomenon is stupid as hell. But I don't have to watch if I don't want to.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasala View Post
    They entertain people they are professional entertainers.
    This is it. They make money for entertaining people, and they can do so because people find them entertaining. It doesn't much matter what their contributions to society are or what they'll tell their children. And just like everything else, some people will enjoy it and some people won't.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    So, I just stumbled upon this video and I think the point was lost upon the gamers. Jimmy Kimmel wasn't hating on the streaming community, just poking fun and it was more like a joke. Granted, a lot took this way too seriously - most likely because he actually struck a nerve and the hate just built.
    Looking at those youtube comments and dislikes, he didn't just hit a nerve, he sawed off a whole fucking limb apparently. I genuinely don't understand how that sketch can be taken as anything other than simple satire.

People need to lighten up. Granted, I'm probably the same age as Kimmel and grew up standing around in dusky arcades. He's right about having to watch while waiting for your turn. I don't see the appeal in watching streamers. I'd just prefer to play the game myself.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

7+ Year Old Account
    Arizona Bay (Chronosynclastic Infundibulum)
    And Jimmy Kimmel does the exact same shit, except he sits in a chair interviewing movie stars, who I couldn't care less about. Talking about their next recycled movie, which is probably just like the last one they were in. I don't watch streams unless A. I'm thinking about buying a game or B.Learning to a play a game by watching a pro play. I understand why people watch streams regularly though. Just like I understand why people watch TV. I've probably learned more watching streams than I have watching late night talk shows. I can only stand so many jokes about the Kardashians.
    Last edited by Rumfoord; 2015-09-02 at 10:34 PM.
    "....but the Universe is an awfully big place. There is room enough for an awful lot of people to be right about things and still not agree...."

Who is Jimmy Kimmel and why do I care?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Oh no!! People make money by providing a desired service to others in a capitalist society! Get your pitchforks, everyone!

If your argument is that they don't have a "real job" that contributes to society, you apparently have never looked at the multibillion dollar waste of space that is the sports industry.
    I wouldn't really consider it a service, since people are throwing money at their screens and not really getting anything in return? What exactly are they paying for? A cheap laugh? Please elaborate what this service is. Also, the psychological part seemed to be lost on you. If more people realized that they're being manipulated, I doubt they'd keep paying for this service.

As far as I understand, streamers can ask for donations to keep their channels running or something to do with a premium channel - high quality streams, idk and on top of that, ask/receive donations for other items, like computer equipment and more.

Now, depending on where you live, different types of sports and clubs actually contribute to society through several charity campaigns. They donate equipment to schools and host events for children and help maintain facilities and structures dedicated to sports. Not to mention sports are physical activities that reduce health risks - whereas sitting in a chair for hours increase them. They could actually help each other out? Streamers donating their money to sports and benefiting others than themselves. Of course, not all streamers are selfish.

Deleted
    Why do people watch other people saying silly things on Television instead of doing it themself?

It is a waste of time to watch it.
    The hipocrircy of Jimmy Kimmel is so thick that you can cut it with a butterknife.

I watch streamers every day, I didn't think that was an insulting video, just out of touch really.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I find streaming pointless because of the content. I just don't understand what's fun about watching someone else play a video game.

To be fair, I also don't understand why people enjoy watching sports. I think I just lack the spectator gene.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    People need to lighten up. Granted, I'm probably the same age as Kimmel and grew up standing around in dusky arcades. He's right about having to watch while waiting for your turn. I don't see the appeal in watching streamers. I'd just prefer to play the game myself.
    I watch streamers because they are better than me at a game, generally. Watching the top SC2 streamers play is awesome. Learn new strats and such.

Streaming doesn't appeal to me all that much but I used to watch friends play games and found that entertaining. I can see why people like it the same way I see why people like watching sports instead of kicking a ball themselves. Entertainment value depends on the individual. One could easily mock people for watching Jimmy Kimmel instead of sitting around a camp fire telling each other knock knock jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasala View Post
    Why do people watch other people saying silly things on Television instead of doing it themself?

It is a waste of time to watch it.
    The hipocrircy of Jimmy Kimmel is so thick that you can cut it with a butterknife.
    What hypocrisy? Its comedy. Kimmel has made fun of himself more than he's ever made fun of gamers. Its cool if you don't find the video funny, but he's not exactly putting himself on a pedestal at the expense of streamers, which seems to be what 99% of those youtube commenters think he's doing.

Edit: doing a google search and seeing reaction from gaming sites tells me that streamers are officially sacred cow territory. ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of hatred on that video just goes to show how immature a big part of the "gaming community" is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    What hypocrisy? Its comedy. Kimmel has made fun of himself more than he's ever made fun of gamers. Its cool if you don't find the video funny, but he's not exactly putting himself on a pedestal at the expense of streamers, which seems to be what 99% of those youtube commenters think he's doing.

Edit: doing a google search and seeing reaction from gaming sites tells me that streamers are officially sacred cow territory. ha.
    Its so dumb it is insulting to watch.

Making a response video is just doubling up the idicocy of the first attempt of being funny by mocking a new media you don't understand or fail to keep up with.