Ultrawide build, semi-themed

Budget: around $2000-$2300
    Resolution: currently 3440x1440, possibly 4k in the future
    Games / Settings Desired: max all the things!
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: very light video editing, nothing to build around
    Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS?: Yes
    Do you need peripherals: No

My current system is showing its age (2500k, GTX 760), and will probably be re-purposed to give to my sister for graduation (her laptop aint cuttin it for her artsy stuff). I've decided to build a new system, semi-themed around Black + Red parts, while not wanting to go way over budget to fit said theme. It is only my second time building a system, and needless to say my first one was a little messy and didnt look very clean, so I would like to do it right this time. Here is what I've come up with so far, I would like some input on anything you guys might change or swap. Thanks in advance!

-----------
    UPDATED
    -----------
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.90 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($165.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($667.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $119.99)
    Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($44.10 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $11.99)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $16.99)
    Case Fan: Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $14.49)
    Other: Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), RED ($79.99)
    Other: Individually Sleeved ATX Cable 24pin (Generation 2), RED ($19.99)
    Total: $2256.09
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-07 05:51 EDT-0400

-----------

Should note I plan on purchasing all these parts throughout the month, and may elect to use Newegg for most of it, since I live a few miles away from the warehouse and can pick up the stuff to save on shipping costs/wait, but if the price is right at other vendors...

Again, Thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies!
    Last edited by Zachysaurus; 2015-09-07 at 09:55 AM. Reason: updated list based on recommendations/research

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Build looks decent but a couple of things. First, don't get the CX line of PSU from Corsair - they are shit. Second, don't get the 840 line of SSD. Get either the 850 or the MX line from Crucial. Lastly, while I have no personal experience with the H100i, I have never heard a good thing about it. Maybe someone else around here can say one way or another, but worth spending some more time reading about if nothing else in my opinion.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Build looks decent but a couple of things. First, don't get the CX line of PSU from Corsair - they are shit. Second, don't get the 840 line of SSD. Get either the 850 or the MX line from Crucial. Lastly, while I have no personal experience with the H100i, I have never heard a good thing about it. Maybe someone else around here can say one way or another, but worth spending some more time reading about if nothing else in my opinion.
    The reason I particularly recommend against the H100i is this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/934?vs=915

Sure, the H100i cools a little better, but not enough to push you OC any further. You will get the same OC results with either cooler, but one will run a little cooler, with both staying in safe ranges. The NH-D14 is not only cheaper but much quieter under load and a little quieter at idle. Plus, and I know it's not really an issue, this is just a personal thing of mine, I just don't understand why I'd want to put water inside my computer. Aside from my car and house my PC is the most expensive thing I own. If on the off chance something went wrong, it'd be a hassle to deal with. The slight gain in temps is not worth the noise and risk IMO.

All that said, you are going for a themed build and while I personally would never do that(I don't even like windows on my case) I would likely go for the H100i if I was. Big huge air cooler with ugly fans in the middle of the case will ruin the theme. Black Water Block and Radiator out of the way on the side will definitely look better.

I've used a h100i and currently have a h100i gtx and have no complaints other than corsairs software can be a bit buggy at times!

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.90 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.30 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($667.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($44.10 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($20.88 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), RED ($79.99)
    Total: $1984.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-06 14:47 EDT-0400

This way, you can have the option of getting two 140mm red and black Corsair fans for the heatsink. Bonus points if you can find a place to anodize the heatsink. The H100 GTX is okay, but IMO not the best AIO on the amrket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Thanks for the input. Ill be changing the PSU to a higher Corsair line, probably the AX line. For the SSD, I thought I had selected an 850 series, but apparently not, just misclick by me. I may go with a bigger SSD, havnt decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

The reason I particularly recommend against the H100i is this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/934?vs=915

Sure, the H100i cools a little better, but not enough to push you OC any further. You will get the same OC results with either cooler, but one will run a little cooler, with both staying in safe ranges. The NH-D14 is not only cheaper but much quieter under load and a little quieter at idle. Plus, and I know it's not really an issue, this is just a personal thing of mine, I just don't understand why I'd want to put water inside my computer. Aside from my car and house my PC is the most expensive thing I own. If on the off chance something went wrong, it'd be a hassle to deal with. The slight gain in temps is not worth the noise and risk IMO.

All that said, you are going for a themed build and while I personally would never do that(I don't even like windows on my case) I would likely go for the H100i if I was. Big huge air cooler with ugly fans in the middle of the case will ruin the theme. Black Water Block and Radiator out of the way on the side will definitely look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercay View Post
    I've used a h100i and currently have a h100i gtx and have no complaints other than corsairs software can be a bit buggy at times!
    After doing some more research on the H100/H110i series, and looking at the NZXT Kracken series, they both seem to be very reliable and not prone to many problems. That being said, I've decided to go with the NZXT Kracken X61, simply because it looks a little better than the Corsair equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    This way, you can have the option of getting two 140mm red and black Corsair fans for the heatsink. Bonus points if you can find a place to anodize the heatsink. The H100 GTX is okay, but IMO not the best AIO on the amrket.
    I was actually looking to get the Corsair LED fans anyways, 3 static pressure fans (2 for radiator, 1 for intake in front of HDD cage) and 2 high airflow (case intake and exhaust)

All that being said, I think i decided to up my budget a bit, just to make sure I can get everything I want. Ill update the OP with a updated parts list to reflect whats changed

With that budget i would spend a little more on the MoBo.