Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Iceland sets an example for Europe to follow as 11k+ offer their homes to refugees

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...94660.html?A=1

More than 11,000 families in Iceland have offered to open their homes to Syrian refugees in a bid to raise the government’s cap of just 50 asylum seekers a year.

They responded to a call by author Bryndis Bjorgvinsdottir, who set up a Facebook group with an open letter to the country’s welfare minister, Eygló Harðardóttir, asking her to allow people to help.

Go To

Ms Bjorgvinsdottir said she knew someone who could house five Syrians fleeing the country’s brutal civil war, requesting work permits, residents papers and “basic human rights” in exchange for paying for their flight and helping them integrate into national society.

In the letter, she said she started the group to show the level of public support for welcoming more refugees, who Ms Bjorgvinsdottir called “human resources” with experience and skills that could help all Icelanders.

“They are our future spouses, best friends, the next soul mate, a drummer for our children’s band, the next colleague, Miss Iceland in 2022, the carpenter who finally finishes the bathroom, the cook in the cafeteria, a fireman and television host,” she wrote.

“People of whom we'll never be able to say in the future: ‘Your life is worth less than my life.’”

Referring to the thousands of migrants who have drowned in desperate attempts to cross the Mediterranean, Ms Bjorgvinsdottir urged Iceland to “open the gates”.
    “I'm a single mother with a six-year-old son...we can take a child in need. I'm a teacher and would teach the child to speak, read and write Icelandic and adjust to Icelandic society. We have clothes, a bed, toys and everything a child needs,” wrote Hekla Stefansdottir, according to a translation by AFP.

This is just in a few days.
    Europe as a whole needs to follow Iceland's lead and be part of the solution. We're all human beings and it's just not fair to have this level of inequality in the world today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iceland seems like a wonderful place with wonderful people, and while I personally think immigration is fine for whoever wants it, I also DO NOT think it is the silver bullet or answer. I DO think many of these people should STAY in their country of Origins and make it a better place. But of course that is my opinion and i am not them or living their lives.

But immigration especially mass immigration to anywhere just because seems like a bad idea, mostly because if you don't FIX the problem of why so many people are leaving or leaving beyond a certain level, it can just make the situation worse, and place the burden on the shoulders of both people that migrate and those taking them in.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We're all human beings and it's just not fair to have this level of inequality in the world today.
    awww how cute.
    Such a naïve and goody 2 shoes view of the world.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    awww how cute.
    Usually those going on about how shitty the world is are those making it so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    awww how cute.
    Yes wanting there to be less suffering and less injustice is naive.

Deleted
    It easy to be generous then you do not have to do it. According to wiki Iceland did have 58 refugees..... no that is not wrong 58 less then 100.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone should go read about why Rome collapsed. Its pretty similar to what is happening today.

We start the wars, there people flee into our Empires borders, the Empire destabilizes and then collapses into the dark age, where religion becomes the center of EVERYTHING.

Get where im going??

Europe as a whole needs to follow Iceland's lead and be part of the solution. We're all human beings and it's just not fair to have this level of inequality in the world today.
    You're gonna house them, right?
    We're in an alternate universe full of savages that became fully educated engineers in a month because a dragon saved a racist from getting prosecuted by a panda in a scarf.

While that is truly a nice gesture, iceland is not good as an example. It has less inhabitants than the city i live in and it is an isolated island far away from every migration.

Doing this long term, as the article suggests, sounds like a bad idea and potential disaster waiting to happen. I do like the part about integrating them into Icelandic society however. That's an absolute must for this to work at all. They can't expect to live in a new country without being part of that country.

Kudos to those people willing to do this, I just hope it works out for them and the people they're trying to help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Swear to god... If that happens in sweden we'll be screwed big time.. And no, I wont open my doors to them.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninepenny View Post
    You're gonna house them, right?
    There are many who can afford to house a person or 2. Look at Iceland. Regular people with a heard and conscience who want to help out.

it will be easy to spot the "outliers" given that iceland has like 2 crimes per year.

Deleted
    Hope they have a plan to integrate them..

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would really love to see how it turns out in the long run. Because that it won't turn into reality is for sure.

Also, would love to see what they say after a year living with a complete stranger both to your culture, religion, language and country
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Deleted
    Iceland accepts 50 ppl a year because 50 refugees a year show up. I am all for helping people in need, but current immigration goes further, there is a common refusal to adapt to local culture whilst many demand irrational and luxurious goods.

Then once all is provided for they will naturally not want to leave, even when their native country is safe once more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Iceland seems like a wonderful place with wonderful people, and while I personally think immigration is fine for whoever wants it, I also DO NOT think it is the silver bullet or answer. I DO think many of these people should STAY in their country of Origins and make it a better place. But of course that is my opinion and i am not them or living their lives.

But immigration especially mass immigration to anywhere just because seems like a bad idea, mostly because if you don't FIX the problem of why so many people are leaving or leaving beyond a certain level, it can just make the situation worse, and place the burden on the shoulders of both people that migrate and those taking them in.
    Did somebody steal Mall Security's account? I was expecting an open the flood gates post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    I would really love to see how it turns out in the long run. Because that it won't turn into reality is for sure.

Also, would love to see what they say after a year living with a complete stranger both to your culture, religion, language and country
    With this negative attitude the world will never improve.

Yes, we need mass immigration into European countries from impoverished African countries.

It's time to destroy European supremacy and historical Caucasian imperialism.

Join the fight.

Get motivated.

Get activated.

Share your views in all forms of social media.

This is our time, our chance.

#blacklivesmatter
    #worldwide

see how that works a few months/years down the road good luck......
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22