Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

{Q} What the point of watching a lets play

Heya,

First of all i wanted to tell that this isn't a troll thread, i am simply asking a questiong about it.

So ever since lets play became popular, i begin to wonder what is the point in them.

I personally do not see a point in them, if i want to play a game a just play it.

If i want to hear something about the review or some issue that game have, i simply type it in search engine.

I was wondering could someone explain to me the reason why so many people watch it.

I want to understand the reasoning, the logic behind it.

I do not want to atack anyone here, just want honest answer.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,
    Sew

Deleted
    The bad LPs are about the game, the good ones are about the let's player. So you are not watching the game but their reaction on it.

Of course, there's also Retsupurae, which is about mocking the bad LPs, but that's besides the point.

I only watch Game Grumps if anything, and that's just to see Arin rage about Sonic games mostly nowadays. But it's the comedy, I like their jokes most the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    The bad LPs are about the game, the good ones are about the let's player. So you are not watching the game but their reaction on it.
    What do you mean about the let's player ?

The point is entertainment and information.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

The few times I've watched one was to evaluate whether or not the game was worth playing. No point in spending money on a game I don't end up liking.
    ( ; , , ; )

I tend to agree that I just like to play a game myself but on rare occasions I don't want to spend the money on the game if I don't think it will be worth it. A recent example is Until Dawn. The story seems fun but if rather not buy it. Let's play seems to me like watching a buddy play his favorite franchise.

I think they're useless.

If I want to see the gameplay to check out if the game is for me or if it's any good, I only need to see the game, and not listen to some obnoxious asswipe talking stupid shit and trying to be funny.

If I'm stuck in a game and need a walkthrough sequence or whatever, I only need to see the game, and not listen to some annoying dumbwit making lame jokes and stupid noises.

If I happen to look for gaming footage on YouTube for whatever reason, I've learned that nowadays I have to type "NO COMMENTARY" in order to not be annoyed by some ridiculous asshole that's either mumbling away, making silly squeals or screaming "oh my God" or "what the fuck".

The moment I hear some stupid voice in a game video (or some shit music instead of ingame audio), I instantly click it away. Yes, Let's Plays and YouTubers in general are like furuncles in the face - ugly crap that nobody needs.

The answer is either: a) the point of something is derived from a personal level or b) 42. And here's a rhetoric question: What's the point of watching sports?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Same reason that some watch the news, and others read the news.

I'm in the "read the news" camp. I read game reviews from several different sources to decide if the game is for me.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

What is this a joke? What's "the point" of watching TV? You'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to have grown up in a world where most people spend hours every day doing stuff like watching TV and not understand why people do things like watch TV.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    What do you mean about the let's player ?
    The person that's playing / commentating / etc. It's the same reason why game streaming exists as an entertainment source. Barring e-sports related things, most people watch it for the person streaming, not the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    LP's are basically free entertainment. Why pay for TV when you get better quality entertainment from people posting videos of themselves playing video games. Plus its always cool to see how other people approach a game that you enjoy

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    My kids watch some of those on occasion. From what I can tell, they get a kick out of the reaction of the person playing, or the jokes that are made while they play.

I only watch one lets player. I like him because he doesn't yell into the microphone, use a camera, swear, change voices and do stupid shit in the game itself. He's doing good walkthroughs of the games, with interesting commentary both from an individual and a gamer. It's interesting to see his point of view on a game that I played myself.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    My kids watch some of those on occasion. From what I can tell, they get a kick out of the reaction of the person playing, or the jokes that are made while they play.
    The reactions can be quite amazing, for example, this precious Game Grumps moment.
    Disclaimer, lots of cursing.

Depends on the LPer you're watching.

I have 5 (well, one kinda fluxes but I dunno). NintendoCapriSun because I think he's funny and frustrating if he's blind playing a game. HCBailly and Chuggaconroy if I want to see two people utterly rape whatever game they're playing, even if I haven't played or have played before. Yogscast because I've been a fan of since Yogpod days and honestly, they can be side splitting funny (I mostly watching the main channel). And another guy because I like his Trouble in Terrorist Town videos of him and his friends on their server.

I know Chugga and Yogs are the most known out of those 5 but I like the other 3 because it's interesting to watch games I've never played before and might be interested in or I just like the watch interesting takes I never would've thought to have taken in a game I've played.

I will watch 1 to see how gameplay is for a game im thinking about playing, but i dont sit down and watch people play a game i want to or do play.

NOW that said. I watch one guy because he is what makes it halarious and he does halarious shit when he plays games. his name is ROBBAZ and he is awesome. if you want a good laugh, he can usually provide one. he plays a lot of different stuff and sometimes its just one or two edited up episodes. he has a pretty long running one with the sims 3 that i've watched all of. I am not going to play the sims 3 but watching what the hell he comes up with is ridiculous and more fun that actually playing it.