Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Isn't that what I just said?
    It doesn't sound like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    It doesn't sound like it.
    How? Upper limit defined by Constitution and SCOTUS. Can't restrict more than that.

Lower limit defined by Constitution and SCOTUS. Can't restrict less than that, can restrict more.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    you're free to speak your mind without facing (legal) repercussions because some people don't like your opinion or what you have to say

what's important is that even the most outrageous opinions are protected which is something many people don't understand, if you can justify infrining on freedom of speech once you can do it again

that's it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Ideally it should mean that no forms of authority would be allowed to treat you differently based on your opinions or speech.

This would expand the meaning and application to private businesses as well.
    can't stop people from not liking other people based on opinions lol

if one of your employees were a neo nazi surely you'd fire him, no?
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-09-06 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Ideally it should mean that no forms of authority would be allowed to treat you differently based on your opinions or speech.

This would expand the meaning and application to private businesses as well.

Wow, for once I agree with you. It really would drive mainstream media and politicians utterly mad though, in my country, so it sure won't happen here anytime soon...

10+ Year Old Account
    To exist without regulation or incrimination for anything other than a violent or damaging act against another sentient individual and/or property.

high af right now but freedom is better than government telling you what to think and do

Deleted
    While I support freedom of speech, it should stop at condoning and encouraging violence against other people. I noticed a certain black guy in the USA directly calling to violence against whites, and apparently that's ok with the law. Pretty sure that's illegal in my country. Even freedom of speech should have a limit when it encourages crime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bored One View Post
    Pretty sure that's illegal in my country. Even freedom of speech should have a limit when it encourages crime.
    What if one of us posts a link to a copyrighted video from a site that doesn't own rights to it?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Freedom of speech exist to prevent government from criminalising ideas that are not direct call to violence, as such we do not really have freedom of speech in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    But expressing my support of a political party will never get me fired.
    There's a reason why votes are done in a booth. You'll not find common people here sharing their political support even if you asked them. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

How? Upper limit defined by Constitution and SCOTUS. Can't restrict more than that.

Lower limit defined by Constitution and SCOTUS. Can't restrict less than that, can restrict more.
    The restriction is on the government, not the speech. Using your example, there is nothing in the Constitution that says we have to have incitement laws. But if a state does have an incitement law, it can't restrict speech by more than the U.S. Constitution allows. My original statement that California allows speech in places that are generally open to the public, even if they are privately owned (like a mall), is an example of a state's government restricting their control over speech more than the U.S. government requires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make a distinction. Some people are afraid of clowns. I can yell, "CLOWN!" in a crowded public area without legal consequence.
    Unless your intent is to cause harm. Again, it's not the speech, but the intent behind it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Being able to say anything without repercussion from the government, I don't care if you say something stupid and lose your job because of it, but as soon as the government interferes with what people can and can't say you don't have freedom of speech.

I can't think of a place on Earth that has true freedom of speech, I suppose we live in a time where people don't care about personal liberties and will willingly give them up for... no apparent reason
    Good point. What we have in the US is not freedom of speech, but the right to say some things, sometime and in some situations. And the government decides when those apply. Then again it is not even always applied to speech. The right for self expression would be more like it. But even that would be limited.