Thread: LARPing

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Arrow LARPing

I think I actually want to try LARPing or Live Action Role playing, the thing is, I'm not sure where exactly I could find one near my location (I live in Maryland, USA). However that's something different, can someone maybe give me personal tips on how to LARP, I know the basics of course (I'm not a complete idiot), but are there things I should know when LARPing?

I also kind of want to LARP as something less humanoid, like I've been contemplating for an extremely long time to save up for a quadsuit. Do you think that could fit into the whole LARP thing?

Any advice would be nice, I know this is a pretty weird topic, but I definitely want some advice and approval for wanting to LARP.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is terrifying... and seems more of a furry thing then a larping thing. But I'm not one to judge.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That is terrifying... and seems more of a furry thing then a larping thing. But I'm not one to judge.
    Well they work in both ways, quadsuits are just for people who want to act a little more animal (I guess). Quadsuits are largely horses, Pokemon and wolves, so some pretty weird choices go into it, but at the same time it can be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a park near my home where I take my kids, always LARPers there. It's pretty entertaining to watch but I would never try it.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure a furry convention would fit that one better than LARP. It's usually.. not about the horses.

Deleted
    Larping itself has always been a niche hobby, adding on non-humanoid suits like the terrifying creation you posted makes it even more niche.

Cambridge has a healthy Larping scene which I haven't taken part in but I know a few who do, and they most likely wouldn't Larp with someone dressed as that.

But have a look around for local clubs and organizations they have various rules and whatnot, a minor disclaimer though is that it tends to be theme or campaign based not a turn up dressed as a goblin hooker or pony gig.

I've always wondered if there was everr any hot girls at those events. Hmm..
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    I'm pretty sure a furry convention would fit that one better than LARP. It's usually.. not about the horses.
    That was just an example of a quadsuit, then again I always could just get a mask. I'm extremely indecisive about life really.

7+ Year Old Account
    My high school math teacher LARPed. We somehow found out that his RP name was Yakimo. I think it would probably be pretty fun, but I don't think I'd ever do it unless I had a friend or two doing it with me.

Sometimes I see people on campus sword fighting or something. I assume it's LARPing related, and it looks like a lot of fun to smash some people with a foam sword lol.

What comes to mind when thinking of LARP is the movie "Role Models". I guess I would just dress as some medieval guy with a sword or axe or something
    Last edited by DocHibb; 2015-09-04 at 01:07 AM.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I've honestly never participated in a LARP that involved anything...like that. In fact, that would have gotten you laughed out of the LARPs I was a part of.

I mostly played games set in White Wolf's World of Darkness. There's two fairly major groups that hold games all over the US and Europe - One World by Night and the Mind's Eye Society. You could always google those if you're interested.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Well, I've honestly never participated in a LARP that involved anything...like that. In fact, that would have gotten you laughed out of the LARPs I was a part of.

I mostly played games set in White Wolf's World of Darkness. There's two fairly major groups that hold games all over the US and Europe - One World by Night and the Mind's Eye Society. You could always google those if you're interested.
    I'm kind of regretting the whole quadsuit thing now , but anyway I at least want to be able to LARP one beast race, it's just a roleplay preference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Well they work in both ways, quadsuits are just for people who want to act a little more animal (I guess). Quadsuits are largely horses, Pokemon and wolves, so some pretty weird choices go into it, but at the same time it can be fun.
    I dont get it, is there 2 people in those costumes?? or are they real unicorns?

Deleted
    I'm kind of regretting the whole quadsuit thing now , but anyway I at least want to be able to LARP one beast race, it's just a roleplay preference.
    Larping as a beast is a huge spectrum of choices.

If it's a humanoid/ beast combination like a half man half wolf or some shit like that it'd work depending on the event and club in question.

Just drop the expensive looking quad suits for now

These people probably go to Renaissance fair too. Might be fun. An excuse to drink beer at least.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Larping as a beast is a huge spectrum of choices.

If it's a humanoid/ beast combination like a half man half wolf or some shit like that it'd work depending on the event and club in question.

Just drop the expensive looking quad suits for now
    So something like this?

Would be a lot cheaper than a quadsuit for sure and a lot more realistic looking...

- - - Updated - - -

Question, I know it ranges, but usually how mature can a LARP become?

Deleted
    So something like this?

Would be a lot cheaper than a quadsuit for sure and a lot more realistic looking...

- - - Updated - - -

Question, I know it ranges, but usually how mature can a LARP become?
    That'd vary heavily on the theme and plot of the current season but that could pass albeit at the extreme end if the right conditions were met.

And mature in what sense?

Age range?

If so most people I know who take it seriously range between 24-30 and then some who are older but more involved with the management of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    That'd vary heavily on the theme and plot of the current season but that could pass albeit at the extreme end if the right conditions were met.

And mature in what sense?

Age range?

If so most people I know who take it seriously range between 24-30 and then some who are older but more involved with the management of it.
    Mature as in pretty much anything goes, well that's a bad way to put it, of course following all combat rules and such, but essientailly just throwing out whatever really (if that makes any sense).

Deleted
    Maturity honestly depends heavily on the group that's playing. The one I've spectated went at it with the same maturity as regular Pen & Paper RPG groups, meaning they have fun while still being serious most of the time. That does not prevent the odd joke every now and then.
    You have the entire spectrum of players like in P&P as well regarding rules, some people jerk off to the rulebook doubting every decision the storyteller has "*pushes up glasses* But the Rulebook 3 Revised edition 2.1 specifically states on page 103 article 3b that it has to be done this way", and some people being more lenient on the rules as long as the atmosphere is fitting and everyone has fun.

My recommendation: ask about being a "NPC". Those usually pay less, get a costume, not having to bring their own, and have a fixed script. Use that to get a feel of the environment, the people and the way stuff is done.

Reminds of this picture, cept swap out the fedora for something fantasy related.

I kind of thought of a character now...