Thread: LARPing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I wanted to try LARPing since I heard about it on an episode of Supernatural. You could look up SCA groups in your local area, too, or just google larp + city name. I also really want to go to a renaissance fair as I've never been, yes I am a dork.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I'm kind of regretting the whole quadsuit thing now , but anyway I at least want to be able to LARP one beast race, it's just a roleplay preference.
    Well, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Werewolf: the Forsaken, Changeling: the Dreaming, or Changeling: the Lost might be right up your alley then.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I wanted to try LARPing since I heard about it on an episode of Supernatural. You could look up SCA groups in your local area, too, or just google larp + city name. I also really want to go to a renaissance fair as I've never been, yes I am a dork.
    that would be perfect. you wouldn't even need to dress up. seeing as your already a goat.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My college actually has a belegarth thing going.

I'm a casual at them. It's nice recreational activity when you done feel like working out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I think I actually want to try LARPing or Live Action Role playing, the thing is, I'm not sure where exactly I could find one near my location (I live in Maryland, USA). However that's something different, can someone maybe give me personal tips on how to LARP, I know the basics of course (I'm not a complete idiot), but are there things I should know when LARPing?
    Years ago, I was a Toreador (VTM). I have to say I enjoyed LARP a lot, but the fur suit, I'm impressed someone would do that, and also a little frightened. I know being a LARPer is strange, but I stay 100% humanoid. These Quadsuits are insane, I'm sure there backs must be painful after a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Just want to make a distinction here. The SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) hates being called LARP. Think of the SCA in the same line as Civil War reenactment, whereas LARP is often based on a more table top role play vibe, like D&D based LARP or Vampire the Masquerade LARP. There is some overlap between the SCA and LARP, but there are some pretty major differences too.

Example, Combat.

LARP combat is often geared around aesthetics (looking the part, foam weapons, characters, etc).

SCA Combat is geared around protection. Armor is designed to protect the wearer as the weapons used are heavy rattan and can break bones if struck against a unprotected area. SCA combat is also extremely physical as you can see is this video.

As far as the OP goes, I would recommend looking into to LARPing groups in your area. The SCA can be fairly serious in regards to tradition on often looks down on more LARPish elements, such as costumes of a more fantasy nature.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    Just want to make a distinction here.
    Yup thanks for explaining the distinction, a friend of mine's brother has been active in his local SCA group and they take it very seriously.

For some reason, I think its no different from PvE/PvP and RP servers in WoW.

And then these LARPERs take it to whole new different terrifying level.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    For some reason, I think its no different from PvE/PvP and RP servers in WoW.

And then these LARPERs take it to whole new different terrifying level.
    hey reenacting a succubus ambush can be very exciting!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    i sometimes dress up as an accountant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    hey reenacting a succubus ambush can be very exciting!
    Except all the succubus are dude.

Not as exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    I've always wondered if there was everr any hot girls at those events. Hmm..
    The 2 that would be end up being married.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    From what I've seen there's plenty of attractive women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Except all the succubus are dude.

Not as exciting.
    that's why you go for authenticity and require female's to play the role of the succubus. and require them to fit in a tight corset.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    hahah right
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    There was a reality TV show called "The Quest" that was basically a televised version of LARPing. That I would like to do... the reality of it though, in non-televised shows, comes off very... uh... geeky, and I think if I get any more nerdy/geeky some bad stuff will happen.
    Yeah, I hide my dorky/geeky/nerdiness whenever possible. I think a grand total of two people know about my video game habits. Not that I think there's anything wrong with video games and being a geek/nerd/whatever. I should probably embrace that side of myself more.

Is there something that can be both serious and have a little fantasy in it as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there something that can be both serious and have a little fantasy in it as well?
    White Wolf fits the bill pretty well.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Deleted
    Come to europ :P No srsly, when i think of american LARP, bad costumes and dmg counting comes to my mind :P

This video is from an event in germany called "Epic Empires" i participated in.