Thread: LARPing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I used to LARP back when it wasn't called LARPing.
    We called it Ampgard, although I think that was the name of the rule system we were using.
    Tons of fun to beat each other up with foam weapons.
    Or watching someone scream 'LIGHTNING BOLT' ten times and then throw a yellow streamered hackey sack at people.
    Seriously, if you can get over the awkward feeling of 'What about what other people think of me?', it's a fantasticly fun hobby that keeps you active at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

I have a question, I've seen people mention bringing dogs, goats and even pigs in places with LARPs (both for RP elements and explaining the risks for people with allergies and so on). Is that something that anyone has ever seen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I have a question, I've seen people mention bringing dogs, goats and even pigs in places with LARPs (both for RP elements and explaining the risks for people with allergies and so on). Is that something that anyone has ever seen?
    I've never seen goats or pigs, but I've never done fantasy-based LARPs. I have seen a small toy dog at a Camarilla Fan Club convention event, but it was in its owner's arms.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    I've always wondered if there was everr any hot girls at those events. Hmm..
    Only way I would accept being the back half of that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    There was a reality TV show called "The Quest" that was basically a televised version of LARPing.
    We had a similar thing in the 90s. Some 3 or 4 teams engage in an obstacle race to reach a castle, and once inside solve mysteries, gain gold and what have you, all with a medieval theme. Sadly it didn't gain much attention and got cancelled.
    Was kinda weird, because most participants were out of character most of the time. But when they did engage with the story, it was a pretty cool show.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    [video=youtube;j_ekugPKqFw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw[video]
    This will forever be my favourite.

Also:

Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-09-05 at 05:22 PM.

I've always found LARPing to be a bit silly, but to each their own.

Fighting with sword/spear/axe is very fun though. (though personally, I prefer HEMA over sport fencing)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah, I hide my dorky/geeky/nerdiness whenever possible. I think a grand total of two people know about my video game habits. Not that I think there's anything wrong with video games and being a geek/nerd/whatever. I should probably embrace that side of myself more.
    yet you talk about it like it's something to be shunned or embarrassed about....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Larping is pretty fun, but it takes quite some time to get good at it. I've been doing it for a year and a half (gone to 3 conventions) and I still feel pretty bad at it. I'm also playing "trollball" once a week, which can be dumbed down to bloodball/american football with foam swords: it's quite fun and we actually managed to get money for the college club to get new swords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falsified View Post
    Larping is pretty fun, but it takes quite some time to get good at it. I've been doing it for a year and a half (gone to 3 conventions) and I still feel pretty bad at it. I'm also playing "trollball" once a week, which can be dumbed down to bloodball/american football with foam swords: it's quite fun and we actually managed to get money for the college club to get new swords.
    I think that entirely depends on the type of LARP you're doing. The LARPs I was in didn't allow physical touching without permission and were primarily political-based. So I'm not sure what there is to get "good" at other than scheming.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

So opinions, my character concept being a samurai tanuki, would it fit into a more serious LARP?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    I'm pretty sure a furry convention would fit that one better than LARP. It's usually.. not about the horses.
    My first thought as well. Running around in a horse suit has not a lot to do with LARP last time I checked. In my old guild were a few that did LARP but they mostly went for the medieval stuff. Pretty sure the horse suit would have earned you the village fool job.

- - - Updated - - -

So opinions, my character concept being a samurai tanuki, would it fit into a more serious LARP?
    You'd need to find a very special LARP scene for that. I'd try around anime conventions.

So like...you want...people to ride you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Umm...I thought LARPing was about like...play-fighting mostly? In one of the few LARPing vids I've watched they were having a wizard battle, and they threw bean-bags at each other to represents spells and such...I don't know how a friggin' horse would fit into that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Larping seems like something I would do when I am drunk as shit with some buddies for laughs. Then it would get out of hand and we would just end up beating the shit out of each other.

However this dressing up as a horse thing would be creepy as shit and I would probably just tip it over and laugh like crazy. Maybe I have a warped sense of humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    My first thought as well. Running around in a horse suit has not a lot to do with LARP last time I checked. In my old guild were a few that did LARP but they mostly went for the medieval stuff. Pretty sure the horse suit would have earned you the village fool job.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd need to find a very special LARP scene for that. I'd try around anime conventions.
    I don't think they LARP at anime conventions and my idea for a character isn't really all that anime-ish, except being related to Japanese mythology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydruid View Post
    Larping seems like something I would do when I am drunk as shit with some buddies for laughs. Then it would get out of hand and we would just end up beating the shit out of each other.

However this dressing up as a horse thing would be creepy as shit and I would probably just tip it over and laugh like crazy. Maybe I have a warped sense of humor.
    It's actually really easy to get back up in one of those things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Umm...I thought LARPing was about like...play-fighting mostly? In one of the few LARPing vids I've watched they were having a wizard battle, and they threw bean-bags at each other to represents spells and such...I don't know how a friggin' horse would fit into that.
    You're late buddy with the horse thing, sorry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I've actually never participated in a LARP that was actually "play-fighting." The LARPs I played in were political/social based and were in White Wolf's World of Darkness setting.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I don't think they LARP at anime conventions and my idea for a character isn't really all that anime-ish, except being related to Japanese mythology.
    Sorry to say, but it screams weeaboo. Most LARP I could find is about medieval or high western fantasy. Raccoon samurais are not exactly part of that. I've seen some that seem to play with samurais as well, though the first 10 pages were just about the costume shops for samurai LARP gear, but after that, at least at first glance none of them were into the furry kind. You probably have better chances with the horse suit in hindsight (or just flat out cosplay..). I'd advise you to check out actual LARP forums, as frankly your question here hasn't yielded much and you seem to be into the niche sub set of an already niche hobby. They might be able to give you pointers, as there are surely people out there,it's just questionable if they are within a sensible distance to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am actually forever amused by the Team Fortress 2 LARP battles that would go on at Anime Expo.

If I could pull off a Geralt of Rivia and knew how to swordfight, I would.

There's something in my DNA that makes me crave:

1. Shooting guns ( I only shot Airsoft guns, but I hope to shoot a proper automatic rifle one day )
    2. Shooting arrows ( This one I did properly )
    3. Wearing armor
    4. Swinging weapons

I probably wouldn't ever LARP/Cosplay because of the social stigma placed on it ( which is weird as I normally don't care about stupid stigmas ) but all of my respect towards people that do what they want without caring about the haters.