Deleted

"human intelligence and AI will co-evolve"

http://nautil.us/issue/28/2050/dont-...e-us-with-them

Don’t Worry, Smart Machines Will Take Us With Them

Why human intelligence and AI will co-evolve.
    BY STEPHEN HSU

In a recent poll, machine intelligence experts predicted that computers would gain human-level ability around the year 2050, and superhuman ability less than 30 years after.

But there is hope. By 2050, there will be another rapidly evolving and advancing intelligence besides that of machines: our own. The cost to sequence a human genome has fallen below $1,000, and powerful methods have been developed to unravel the genetic architecture of complex traits such as human cognitive ability. Technologies already exist which allow genomic selection of embryos during in vitro fertilization—an embryo’s DNA can be sequenced from a single extracted cell. Recent advances such as CRISPR allow highly targeted editing of genomes, and will eventually find their uses in human reproduction.

These two threads—smarter people and smarter machines—will inevitably intersect. Just as machines will be much smarter in 2050, we can expect that the humans who design, build, and program them will also be smarter.

It is easy to forget that the computer revolution was led by a handful of geniuses: individuals with truly unusual cognitive ability. Alan Turing and John von Neumann

Today, we need geniuses like von Neumann and Turing more than ever before. That’s because we may already be running into the genetic limits of intelligence. In a 1983 interview, Noam Chomsky was asked whether genetic barriers to further progress have become obvious in some areas of art and science.

He answered: "You could give an argument that something like this has happened in quite a few fields ... I think it has happened in physics and mathematics, for example"

perhaps we will experience a positive feedback loop: Better human minds invent better machine learning methods, which in turn accelerate our ability to improve human DNA and create even better minds.

The feedback loop between algorithms and genomes will result in a rich and complex world, with myriad types of intelligences at play:

the ordinary human (rapidly losing the ability to comprehend what is going on around them); the enhanced human (the driver of change over the next 100 years, but perhaps eventually surpassed); and all around them vast machine intellects, some alien (evolved completely in silico) and some strangely familiar (hybrids).

It may seem incredible, or even disturbing, to predict that ordinary humans will lose touch with the most consequential developments on planet Earth, developments that determine the ultimate fate of our civilization and species.

Today, no more than a fraction of a percent of the population has a good understanding of quantum physics, although it underlies many of our most important technologies: Some have estimated that 10-30 percent of modern gross domestic product is based on quantum mechanics.

New gods will arise, as mysterious and familiar as the old.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-09-04 at 08:04 AM.

inb4 the luddites predicting the end of capitalism
    Last edited by Olo; 2015-09-04 at 08:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The fall of the [Berlin] wall was a mistake. Germans are becoming too dangerous again. Their action in Ukraine show that.

Only thing that makes me sad about this is in 35 years (at 2050) I'll be getting up there in years. Want to experience all the cool new things.

If AI ever reaches the aware state, I want to tell it the secrets of the universe and watch it suffer at the power of the truth.

People will evolve to be more intelligent? LOL no.

Sorry to burst your bubble but intelligence isn't actually an evolutionary advantage anymore. Sure some people may be smarter, and some people may be coming up with new ideas but look back at all the dumb-ass losers that dropped out of your high school.. they're all on their 8th kid by now, probably all with different partners.

Look at the whole rest of the world, for a lot of arab families it's common for people to have huge families. For all the naysaying about "Islam taking over the world", in 60 years or so it likely will just because of sheer numbers.

Even if we start genetic engineering smart people they're not going to be able to compete with the amount of stupid people having babies. There will always be those smarter than others, but humans are evolving to be stupid sheep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkmankill1 View Post
    If AI ever reaches the aware state, I want to tell it the secrets of the universe and watch it suffer at the power of the truth.
    I always wonder that if machines became so smart and learnt so much about the universe they'd all become Nihilists and shut down.

Red Dwarf had a joke that actually made a lot of sense. All of the robots in the future there were programmed with a concept of "Silicon Heaven" where robots would go for being good subservient robots. It stopped them from trying to kill everyone and from going crazy at the menial tasks they had to do.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    People will evolve to be more intelligent? LOL no.
    Nobody said anything about evolving, because evolving takes hundreds of generations. Humans will improve their own intelligence.

Deleted
    I wouldn't even be mad if the world got taken over. I might change my mind if I ever have kids, but so far I welcome any non-human invasive force.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Nobody said anything about evolving, because evolving takes hundreds of generations. Humans will improve their own intelligence.
    Which will lead to evolution, but as you said it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Nobody said anything about evolving,
    I'm sorry, I must have misread the thread title.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Which will lead to evolution, but as you said it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Is self improvement an act of evolution or not? I'm pretty sure someone smarter then I could provide interesting answers and unavoidebly, even more complicated questions.

Human progression is not the divine objective. As always, too much arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post

Don’t Worry, Smart Machines Will Take Us With Them
    Will AI want pets?

They will be so far beyond what we can do at our best that we won't even be able to understand them.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    IF......
    If these forums are a snapshot of humanity, then we have very little business worrying about AI.
    Instead we should focus on HI.
    Before we mettle with things that can be our undoing, we need to lay the groundwork that prevents our undoing,
    because we're smart enough and empathetic enough to not let it happen.
    Right now, we're neither..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Red Dwarf had a joke that actually made a lot of sense. All of the robots in the future there were programmed with a concept of "Silicon Heaven" where robots would go for being good subservient robots. It stopped them from trying to kill everyone and from going crazy at the menial tasks they had to do.
    Arguably humans have the same programming.

Our understanding of ethics and morality is pretty much purely a construct in our minds, with no real reference points in nature.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Human progression is not the divine objective. As always, too much arrogance.
    If we create AI, it will be human progression regardless of whether or not it has DNA. Seeing as it was originally derived from human minds.

Rising complexity very well could be the the divine objective of the universe for all we know.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-09-04 at 03:12 PM.

Awesome! Hopefully I'll still be alive in 2050 so I can have a robot wife!