View Poll Results: Age dating, and Agism, How old is too old, how, how young is too young?

Voters
217. This poll is closed
  • There is no such thing age is just a number unless they aren't old enough.

113 52.07%
  • I think anything more than 5 years apart

45 20.74%
  • I never had a problem with it, and I have been in a long term relationship with someone older.

20 9.22%
  • Other. Write below and share your experience.

39 17.97%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Here's my thing. I don't want to be daddy. My girlfriend has to be owning her own career, no matter what it is.
    Doesnt need a college degree for that, but yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Level of education doesnt reflect maturity, or actual education though. College grad or not doesnt bother me personally.
    Disagree strongly. While there are a very, very few people that are mature, intelligent, educated adults that don't have formal education, that number is becoming vanishingly small in the modern world, given the incentives involved. I can't imagine finding much common ground with someone that doesn't have at least a bachelor's, and I don't think I'd be likely to be especially compatible with someone that doesn't have an M.S., professional degree, or doctorate.

There's no reason that someone couldn't be intelligent, motivated, have their shit together, and not fit that criterion, but in practice, damned near everyone that I'd be interested in will have a Master's degree or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's no reason that someone couldn't be intelligent, motivated, have their shit together, and not fit that criterion, but in practice, damned near everyone that I'd be interested in will have a Master's degree or higher.
    Ahhh, margaritas on the balcony debating a Malthusian catastrophe and whether our technology growth will outpace it. Cheers.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh, margaritas on the balcony debating a Malthusian catastrophe and whether our technology growth will outpace it. Cheers.
    Well, maybe if you had a Master's in philosophy or something. I know I fit the criteria, and I certainly would be discussing just how dumb JetBrains is for changing the pricing model for ReSharper.

Age/2 + 7 is the youngest.
    And you never date the hostess.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    And you never date the hostess.
    Since she's usually 17.... nope.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Hard to say, I know women that are close to 30 that look 18...without fancy make-up. Looks matter, no matter how you spin it.
    For women that fall into this category, dating can be a real pain. "Oh, cute, you're 17? Sorry. Not interested, I'm about 10 years to old for you." Blank dead stair. Then again people that are your age think you're to young for them.

Ewww, at least pick a decent cocktail.
    Technological growth will only outpaced it in the developed world, however it will impact the developing world so much there will be a mass exodus. which then causes the same to happen in the developed world, a new dark age rises and the world powers are redistributed!

Also, so what you mean is someone with the same areas of interest as you, regardless of having a college degree, theres a lot of different areas and she might find your interests dull as hell
    or might have little in the way of formal education but a lot in self-taught and interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistenz View Post
    Guess I'd hit up 18 year olds as long as possible
    Only if its for casual/sex, actual relationship, god no, save me from the hell that is a pre 22ish girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistenz View Post
    Guess I'd hit up 18 year olds as long as possible
    What is your age?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Because sometimes life likes to kick you in the nuts and make you waste your youth with the wrong person who you thought was the real deal.
    So true. And then you feel ruined for any other relationship, as it's difficult to trust anyone that intimately anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    A flat earth can be speculated out of reason. I mean, it looks flat. But most people did not care one way or another for the flat earth hypothesis. How many people who use GPS know the physics behind it? And i think you overgeneralize the people of the past. One thing that amazes me is their diet. The modern diet consists of so many things that harm you. The diet of old fulfills our nutrition needs.
    Yeah, but it was wrong. As was all the other things I listed. It's true that a flat earth was their best scientific explanation at that time, but science gets better and changes it's explanations for things. Just like we've changed the age of consent when we've acquired a better understanding of how humans develop.

Sure, our eating habit might be more off now than back in the days, but that's because of other reasons. You can still eat way more healthy today than you could back then, because we have a broader sortiment of food and a better understanding of nutriment in general. So that's not that our understanding is lacking, that's just people chosing hedonistic pleasure over healthiness.

I remember reading one of the southern states just got rid of a virgin rape clause in their law. If the girl was not a virgin, either the punishment was less or nil.
    That sounds like a good change. Don't see how it's relevant though. The chain of logic was that your claim that people were happier before wasn't valid because your evidence only claimed that people were happier 30 years ago. Says nothing about 300 years ago, or longer.

I do not know why you hate your ancestors so much. Innocentocide has been far greater in the past 100 years; its numbers will eclipse the innocentocide from the thousand years before our century. Regardless, we do not have a choice which time period we live in. I'm all for making the best of this one.
    Don't really hate them, but I consider them unenlightened. The world has progressively become a better place to live in because we learn more all the time, and if people change something (such as the age of consent) it's probably for the better untill proven otherwise.

I am Muslim, so i would say 'no' to the alcohol question. I agree with my religion forbidding it. But yes to everything else.
    Then we have another spot on where we differ quite a lot again. I don't want kids to vote, to drive, or to make important life decisions just because they hit puberty. I agree with most of the western world in that it's way too early.

You being a Muslim, and me a heavily secular westerner, does explain a lot of our different world views though.

Are you a student? If you are a student, admit it. Saying you are an academic just sounds weird.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/academic?s=t

noun:
    9 a person who is academic in background, attitudes, methods, etc.:

Your arguing skills are lacking. You make considerable claims, yet fail to provide evidences. You overgeneralize (inconsistently). Your conclusions are based on good logic, but you rely on faulty assumptions. Take this as advice. If you wish to ignore it, so be it. If you feel the need to rebut it, so be it. If you feel compelled to unleash a tirade against me, so be it. But, if you wish to better yourself, so be it.
    The only evidence you've supported yourself is an irrelevant article about how people were happier 30 years ago. And the only claim you have made is that the age of consent should be at puberty because it used to be, and it was a for a whole lot of years.

How about this, we scratch this entire conversation and make it all based on evidence; since you're the one proposing a change, can you start with supplying evidence that the age of consent would be better at puberty than at 18?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Only if its for casual/sex, actual relationship, god no, save me from the hell that is a pre 22ish girl.
    I find pre-25 year old girls (and younger girls in general) to be more fun in conversation than older girls, especially 30+ those girls are super boring and the age starts to show

See the very young girls are actually genuinely into nerd culture from an early age, they grew up playing games etc -- unlike a lot of 30+ year old girls who are basically faking it.

Bear in mind, I know from being in school and uni with the current 30+ girls - they had nothing but disdain for nerd culture at the time, but now that nerd culture is in, it's like "yay we're all gamer girls!"
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-09-05 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Bear in mind, I know from being in school and uni with the current 30+ girls - they had nothing but disdain for nerd culture at the time, but now that nerd culture is in, it's like "yay we're all gamer girls!"
    Ouch. I still remember a girl borrowing a computer game from me, but when I asked it back from her in school she bluntly and stubbornly refused to admit she had it. Actually took me a while to realize that the reason was that she was so afraid to be seen as one who played computer games. Those were different days, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread kind of makes me feel better for dating a 17 year old when I was 20. (21 now for reference if it mattered)

I find pre-25 year old girls (and younger girls in general) to be more fun in conversation than older girls, especially 30+ those girls are super boring and the age starts to show

See the very young girls are actually genuinely into nerd culture from an early age, they grew up playing games etc -- unlike a lot of 30+ year old girls who are basically faking it.

yeah that is true, socially (not relationship wise) I do hang out more with younger women. Thinking about it, havent really any older girl-friends.

I dont refer to interests, 22ish are great in that region, but maturity, just doesnt work well.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>

Statements like this irk me a little. I suppose that I'm glad I'm not the average older woman. But still, being a female gamer 20+ years ago required a lot more dedication to the hobby than it does now.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm always finding myself super attracted to women 5 - 12 years older than me, don't know why. Maybe by 25 and up they've nailed how to look their best, or maybe it's their maturity that attracts me, but all I know is... I cannot date them.

It just never works out, the thought of them being so much more experienced and ahead of me in life's journey always lingers and nags at my mind and pulls me away. It's a real shame my mind has to do that. Anyways, because of that, I often find myself connecting more closely to girls around my age (usually 1 - 2 years younger), so they're who I primarily try to date.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    Statements like this irk me a little. I suppose that I'm glad I'm not the average older woman. But still, being a female gamer 20+ years ago required a lot more dedication to the hobby than it does now.
    I really did not mean you, you clearly have always been a dedicated gamer and I respect the honesty that comes with that.

I just mean that back in 2004, female gamers were rare. I had plenty of girls in my guild in vanilla wow and they would always explain how separate they felt from other girls, how it took a lot of dedication to go against the flow. (again, it was 2004)

Now all the girls I meet (especially the 30/35+ women who are desperate to be interesting and invite me over to play on their wii) somehow were all hardcore gamers back in 2004, even though the first game they ever played was candy crush or wii tennis.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-09-05 at 05:03 PM.