Thread: Upgrade needed?

Upgrade needed?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qKJXrH

Link above is the computer that I currently use, and because I plan on coming back to WoW i was wondering if there is anything I can upgrade to noticeably improve...anything. I haven't touched WoW for couple years now and I just wanted to know if there's anything I can look at to possibly upgrade my specs. Thank you in advance!

Oh and also, I'm not sure why but I do believe my GPU was a 660TI overclocked, at least thats what it said on the box if i remember..hope that helps

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deskport View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qKJXrH

Link above is the computer that I currently use, and because I plan on coming back to WoW i was wondering if there is anything I can upgrade to noticeably improve...anything. I haven't touched WoW for couple years now and I just wanted to know if there's anything I can look at to possibly upgrade my specs. Thank you in advance!

Oh and also, I'm not sure why but I do believe my GPU was a 660TI overclocked, at least thats what it said on the box if i remember..hope that helps
    Simple answer: No.

Just overclock the CPU if you need it (which I don't think you do) and for the rest you're golden.

Thank you Evildeffy for the response! Is there anything that I may touch up on in the near future? For instance is there another graphic card worth mentioning that is similar if not better than my current one with the same price? I just want to know what I can do and compare things while I can, any input would be greatly appreciated!

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you Evildeffy for the response! Is there anything that I may touch up on in the near future? For instance is there another graphic card worth mentioning that is similar if not better than my current one with the same price? I just want to know what I can do and compare things while I can, any input would be greatly appreciated!
    If only for WoW then no.

It depends fully if you intend to game other games and if you do I need to know which.

WoW's main bottleneck is the CPU and you have a good enough one, the only way of proper improvement is to spend craptons of money on a better CPU or just overclock yours and gain the same effect.

Now if you were to say "I want to rock The Witcher 3 and other such games that lay waste to any modern machine!!11oneoneone" then I'd say 100% overclock that CPU and get a better GPU, but considering you've stated WoW only pretty much then you're good to go.

Hm, ok well how about FF Heavensward. Would my computer be able to handle that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Hm, ok well how about FF Heavensward. Would my computer be able to handle that?
    SHOULD be fine but as I have no interest in FF Heavensward I honestly do not know of it's engine and it's optimizations.
    Perhaps someone else who does can answer this?

CPUs haven't really moved on much since the i5 2500K. Fine there.

For WoW, that machine is fine. You can probably upgrade to a better GPU at some point, but unless you're playing the latest AAA games there's little point. It'll run things at least at PS4 settings (which varies from game to game). By going for a 4GB/8GB card, you'll eliminate all VRAM problems this generation. Tbh, I'd wait until next year when nVidia start putting HBM on cards, and some decent DirectX 12 benchmarks start coming in.