Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    There's basically no 'beer' you can make that can get so high in alcohol to cause problems (like explosions or whatever; the worst you're going to get is blowoff and that's just going to make a gigantic mess).

The most dangerous things you can likely have on a homebrewing scale is possibly burns (it is boiling liquid afterall - or problems with whatever burner you're using) or cuts (see people having horror stories with broken glass carboys that cut them).

If you're paying any attention (yes, I understand mistakes CAN happen, but still) then it's a completely safe hobby with basically 0 risk.
    Yeah, I was more referring to those brewing things like white lightning and the like. The dangerous stuff.

And perhaps not dangerous, but hoo man, I wouldn't brew if you're planning on having company over the next day or so, it's not the most pleasant of scents, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Yeah, I was more referring to those brewing things like white lightning and the like. The dangerous stuff.

And perhaps not dangerous, but hoo man, I wouldn't brew if you're planning on having company over the next day or so, it's not the most pleasant of scents, in my opinion.
    Technically that isn't necessarily brewing beer. Firewater does use fermenting as a process, I believe (note: I have no experience with such practices). But I think you actually need a still or some special equipment that's very different from brewing beer.

Also (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I think making firewater might be against some laws in the US.

Yes I brew beer.

I'll echo Spectral and say to go to a LHBS. Most workers are cool and are happy to help. Not only that, but many of them hold How To Brew 101 type classes.

As far as gear that I use:
    • I have an all grain batch sparge (gravity fed) system.
    • I control my fermenation temperatures in a small chest freezer.
    • I have a tiny fridge to maintain a small yeast library (which I then use for starters).
    • I have 7 kegs (corny kegs) - 1 always has root beer, and 1 always has cider; the others are usually rotating (I'm never completely full).
    • I converted a chest freezer into a keezer with 5 taps.

My best recommendation is to start with all grain (particularly BIAB) opposed to extract brewing. The differences are minute, and the control you have over your beer is so much better.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Shit happens. As long as your cleaning habits are good, you'll be fine.

Also if anyone wants to trade recipes I'm always down!
    This guy knows his stuff. I will take issue with one of his recommendations, though. A really good all grain set up is expensive, time consuming to set up, and fairly complicated for someone new who barely understands the process.

Go to a home brew supply store and I'm sure they will have a starter kit...which amounts to a few pieces more than a couple of plastic buckets and some bottles. Start with that and get a good extract kit. Brew that and see if you like doing it, and if you like the output.

Back in the day extract kits were ass. Fortunately they have come a LONG way. Granted they aren't up to the quality of an all grain batch, they can be pretty damn good. If you like that, then work your way up to a a good all grain set up.

NOTE. My advice may be bunk, because I really don't know much at all about "brew in a bag" and that may make my advice moot. Really, though, at least go talk to the guy in the homebrew store. Those dudes are beer wizards. Literally.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    NOTE. My advice may be bunk, because I really don't know much at all about "brew in a bag" and that may make my advice moot. Really, though, at least go talk to the guy in the homebrew store. Those dudes are beer wizards. Literally.
    Brew in a Bag effectively uses a paint strainer bag in your boil pot as a mash tun. So you put all your grain in there, mash in at whatever temperature the recipe mentions, maintain it for the duration, lift the bag (and squeeze out the liquid you can), then go on with your boil.

No extra equipment needed. You just need a pot big enough to hold the grain + the liquid.

Basically it's single vessel all grain brewing.

IMO it's just as easy to start with that as extract. I personally started with extract, but when I transitioned to all grain, it was with BIAB. It felt like I didn't change anything at all.

A roommate and I did before. we made a chocolate stout. It was terrible. Until we left it sit for a good 3 months, then it was awesome. The equipment was kind of expensive.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Brew in a Bag effectively uses a paint strainer bag in your boil pot as a mash tun. So you put all your grain in there, mash in at whatever temperature the recipe mentions, maintain it for the duration, lift the bag (and squeeze out the liquid you can), then go on with your boil.

No extra equipment needed. You just need a pot big enough to hold the grain + the liquid.

Basically it's single vessel all grain brewing.

IMO it's just as easy to start with that as extract. I personally started with extract, but when I transitioned to all grain, it was with BIAB. It felt like I didn't change anything at all.
    So I just read. Like literally just finished an article about it. I may have to give this a shot. I never really got out of the extract phase because i just didn't have the time or money to piece together a workable set up. You've motivated me. Thanks.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by ralikon View Post
    brewed by you personally.
    no one makes me brew my own brew