90/100 boost on a character that is already 90/100?

I am thinking about changing mains come Legion and I am leveling several classes that I didn't have at 100 yet. But I want to be able to use the boost so I can get the profession bonus. Can I still use it on a character that is at the level it would be boosted to and get the prof boost or will it not let me?

I ask this under the assumption Legion will come with a level 100 boost which I am planning to use on an already 100 character, but if I have to I guess I will level to 60 again just so I can get the prof boost.

10+ Year Old Account
    professions are so easy to level from 0-700 now that the time it takes you to get to 60 before boosting is a waste.

Well, I leveled the character I was going to boost to 60 first, using the professions as an excuse, but that was because leveling it to 60 had inherant value to me, and I wanted to. It wasn't optimal for me. I wouldn't boost a max or almost max character for professions, though. It'd also probably be cheaper to buy the gold and power level the professions that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    just something worth noting: given that professions are getting a supposed major rework, it might be worth holding off until the beta is officially up and running so the we will have some more info on direction of profession changes/design. these changes could be major enough to really affect which professions to have. id wait until then to do a boost and save from wasting money on a mistake today.

if your only reason for boosting is because of professions, this stands to be a valid concern in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    professions are so easy to level from 0-700 now that the time it takes you to get to 60 before boosting is a waste.
    I am less worried about the time waste as I am the gold waste. I don't have an egrigiois amount of gold on my main server and I would rather spend the time leveling again to 60 than drop all my gold leveling professions. That said I don't know exactly how it works with the catch up mechanics I haven't powerleveled any profs in WoD.

Also, can anyone tell me how it works using a 90 boost on a character at 90? I can assume that it would work the same as a 100 boost on a 100 character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    just something worth noting: given that professions are getting a supposed major rework, it might be worth holding off until the beta is officially up and running so the we will have some more info on direction of profession changes/design. these changes could be major enough to really affect which professions to have. id wait until then to do a boost and save from wasting money on a mistake today.

if your only reason for boosting is because of professions, this stands to be a valid concern in my opinion.
    I fully intend on waiting until more info comes out about both professions and class changes. I am just curious how it might work.
    Last edited by Jmarsh56; 2015-09-05 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarsh56 View Post
    Also, can anyone tell me how it works using a 90 boost on a character at 90? I can assume that it would work the same as a 100 boost on a 100 character.
    Pretty sure you don't have the option to do that. I just used my WoD boost recently and I'm fairly certain that when I clicked on the boost icon it greyed out all of my characters except the ones that were below 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Pretty sure you don't have the option to do that. I just used my WoD boost recently and I'm fairly certain that when I clicked on the boost icon it greyed out all of my characters except the ones that were below 90.
    That is what I was afraid of, I kind of figured thats how it would work but one can hope.

#1 You can't boost a character already at 90/100.
    #2 The profession boost is pointless. You can craft all WoD patterns and they stay orange and grant multiple points (varies how many) well into 600.

Edit: Recently leveled a toon from 1-100 and didn't touch professions til max. Crafted gliders to level engineering in a few minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Boosting a max level char just to get "free max level professions"? This is insane I salute you.
    In all WoW's history, leveling professions have never been so easy, cheap and fast. That would be one of the worst idea I've heard in a long, long time.

Deleted
    Well if you hit 100 Soon im sure that you get enough time to Level professions before Legion gets released. Get to 100, do dungeons /follower missions etc and earn gold enough to buy alot of profession mats from AH. Saves alot of time ������

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you hit 100 Soon im sure that you get enough time to Level professions before Legion gets released. Get to 100, do dungeons /follower missions etc and earn gold enough to buy alot of profession mats from AH. Saves alot of time

Quote Originally Posted by Zathan666 View Post
    Boosting a max level char just to get "free max level professions"? This is insane I salute you.
    In all WoW's history, leveling professions have never been so easy, cheap and fast. That would be one of the worst idea I've heard in a long, long time.

Why not? Might as well use it for something. I still have my free 90 boost because I don't know where to use it or when it could be useful. A lot of people have this problem. Leveling professions is not fun, takes time, and could be expensive to some. If it's possible to ding past that annoyance, hell yeah I'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathan666 View Post
    Just so were clear, I have no intention of buying a boost. Legion is going to come with a 100 boost and all the classes I have any intention of playing are already at or very close to 100. Why would I use a boost on a priest or a warlock when I have no intention to play them when I could use it on a warrior just to get the profession boost? I already stated that I didn't know exactly how the catch up mechanics worked in WoD as I hadn't leveled any profs in WoD. I will have to look into it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Why not? Might as well use it for something. I still have my free 90 boost because I don't know where to use it or when it could be useful. A lot of people have this problem. Leveling professions is not fun, takes time, and could be expensive to some. If it's possible to ding past that annoyance, hell yeah I'd do it.
    Why do you need to level them? You can craft any WoD item at level 1 professions. There is no advantage to having it at 700 right away other than increased daily CD amounts given.
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I just levelled a new toon manually to 60, then boosted to 90 ... one of my professions was gathering though. 1-60 takes about half the time of 90-100 these days, so if you are gold poor consider just creating a new toon with min level professions getting it to 60 then boosting.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I just levelled a new toon manually to 60, then boosted to 90 ... one of my professions was gathering though. 1-60 takes about half the time of 90-100 these days, so if you are gold poor consider just creating a new toon with min level professions getting it to 60 then boosting.
    I can level a toon from 90-100 in about 30 minutes. BoAs, rapid XP+garrison XP pot and gorgrond trick.

Again - boosting gives little to no advantage. You can craft whatever WoD item you want and gather anything you need all at level 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    I can level a toon from 90-100 in about 30 minutes. BoAs, rapid XP+garrison XP pot and gorgrond trick.
    Yes, but I was talking 'naturally', I can also level a toon from 1-90 in 5 minutes.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Mmm cost of boost : 60$
    Leveling a prof takes a few K gold depending on the prof.

Might as well spend 20$ on a token, sell it for whatever gold you get and then level your prof and have gold leftover ?

I came here to post exactly what DarkAztaroth above posted, might aswell drop $20 on the token turn around and sell it for about 30k and use that to do the profession leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post

Again - boosting gives little to no advantage. You can craft whatever WoD item you want and gather anything you need all at level 1.
    What's this trick you're talking about? How would it take 30 minutes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granda View Post
    I came here to post exactly what DarkAztaroth above posted, might aswell drop $20 on the token turn around and sell it for about 30k and use that to do the profession leveling.
    Except I'm fairly sure the OP isn't talking about buying the boost, but just using the one that will inevitably be included in the Legion expansion for a "fair" price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    What's this trick you're talking about? How would it take 30 minutes?
    Well, it takes a bit of preparation - but you get a couple of 300% xp buffs, plus a few other XP buffs (BoAs etc), go around and almost complete a stack of bonus objectives (leaving one kill short in each one).

Then you drink your pot - kill the remaining mob in each bonus objective giving you half a level per bonus objective. Very easy now with flying. You should only need 10-15 bonus object areas.

Before flying and with no plan and only with the 300% xp pot (no BoAs etc) - I got 1 level in 5 minutes. That's just from 3 bonus objective areas + around 8 normal quests located in the region.