[Light Novels/LN] Anyone here read light novels?

I'm currently reading Battle Through the Heavens, Xian Ni, and Douluo Dalu LNs after having been exposed to the Manhua of each of them and wanting more.

I know there are other LNs such as Sword Art Online and others that are pretty popular just curious as to what others here are reading as I dont see much talk about these.

I read Combat Continent/Soul Land manwha. Does that count? (Thats Doulou Dalu that you said.)

Reading is dumb though. I feel like if I just pure read something the translation would have to be godly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I read Combat Continent/Soul Land manwha. Does that count? (Thats Doulou Dalu that you said.)

Reading is dumb though. I feel like if I just pure read something the translation would have to be godly.
    Yes that counts I guess and thats how I even came to know of most of these LNs. The LN for Combat Continent is so much more in depth compared to the manhua/manwha and gives a lot more back story, it's also different compared to the manhua in some aspects just like the manga/anime adaptations differ from each other. If you like the manhua of Douluo Dalu though I'd recommend reading the LN too as you will understand some things a lot better that seem to be left out of the manhua. https://bluesilvertranslations.wordp.../chapter-list/

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhhhh
    Light novels, not so much.

I do like the Vampire Hunter D translated novels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean currently I am reading High School DxD as it is translated, I have the entire Certain Magical Index series downloaded and have been on and off reading it, I also have read Infinite Stratos, Boku Wa Tomodachi ga Sukanai, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, Sword Art Online, Dragonair Academy.

I have finished Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Mao thing is lots of LN go on for a long time and it is hard to keep a translator around that long.

The main reason I read LN and manga is to get closure as we all know most stories don't end when the anime does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to, I really wanted to know the rest of the Haruhi Suzumiya story, after it got canned, but I can't find them anywhere .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Log Horizon got me into light novels. I saw the first bits of the anime, and couldn't get enough, so migrated to the mangas and then the lightnovels. Although they did a fairly good job of adapting the novels, I feel a lot was still kinda lost in the adaptation. Felt the same way once I read some of the SAO lightnovels and compared them to the most recent season which is to say, no comparison.

Now I've started really getting into the whole litRPG genre, so I've been reading a lot of translated stuff. (Moonlight Sculptor, Ark, etc) Some of the translations are better then others. Most generally get the message across at least and don't impede the story (much).

I know its prolly rough to judge a culture based on how its portrayed through its fiction, but the chinese lightnovels I've been reading generally grate on my sensibilities in their expectations of females as well as their glorification of the wealthy. Its not enough to turn me off of a few of the better chinese lightnovels I've been following, but it is enough that I generally enjoy the korean/japanese/other novels more.

I don't really know if it's technically a "light novel" because I've heard people reef to it as an LN and a full fledged novel, but Overlord is pretty great. It's similar to Log Horizon where a guy becomes his MMO character, except he's put in a completely different fantasy world than his MMO, and his character was a Lich. He gets teleported along with his guild fortress and all his former guildmate created NPCs, who worship him as a god and want him to take over the world. The characters and plot are really interesting and it's amazing at world building.

Currently there are six volumes (out of 9) and two 90min long drama CDs translated, and there's usually a new chapter every Saturday at around 11am EST. There's also an anime running this season and some chibi shorts airing with the episodes. You can find all the chapters if you google "Overlord translations" (I'm not sure if in allowed to say the actual site)

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Log Horizon got me into light novels. I saw the first bits of the anime, and couldn't get enough, so migrated to the mangas and then the lightnovels. Although they did a fairly good job of adapting the novels, I feel a lot was still kinda lost in the adaptation. Felt the same way once I read some of the SAO lightnovels and compared them to the most recent season which is to say, no comparison.

Now I've started really getting into the whole litRPG genre, so I've been reading a lot of translated stuff. (Moonlight Sculptor, Ark, etc) Some of the translations are better then others. Most generally get the message across at least and don't impede the story (much).

I know its prolly rough to judge a culture based on how its portrayed through its fiction, but the chinese lightnovels I've been reading generally grate on my sensibilities in their expectations of females as well as their glorification of the wealthy. Its not enough to turn me off of a few of the better chinese lightnovels I've been following, but it is enough that I generally enjoy the korean/japanese/other novels more.
    This is a bit of a bump but I didn't want to make a new thread on this subject.
    I've been reading wuxia novels for the past few months I'd say, and I notice the same thing, except the female part, there are good female characters in some of them. What stands out to me the most is their use of external forces to become strong. Like it's not the main character that's strong, it's the potions, pills, herbs and special 'cultivation' techniques that makes him strong.

Oh, and eating are often a significant part of these novels, which is interesting because it was a common trope in teen literature during World War 2 because you couldn't really get alot of good food. Is food such a problem in China aswell?