Thread: Goofy Bosses

10+ Year Old Account

Goofy Bosses

I don't mean to imply that there's something egregiously wrong in Hellfire Citidel. But I seem to recall all of my favorite raids and dungeons having a tone breaking 'idiot/goofy/random' encounter.

Kael'thas being unintentionally memetic.
    XT and Mimiron (goofy bosses can be scary when difficult too)
    Putricide
    Maloriak
    Hans and Franz

Something with a bit of flavor to break up and give contrast to the 'super seriousness' tone of the overall raid.
    I might be wrong but there's nothing that's really stood out as jarringly wacky in HFC to give off that quirky WoW raid vibe, there's some instances where it's overdone and out of place, but I mean look at Ulduar, it was arguably one of the most serious encounters we've ever faced, and they had two instances of wacky boss syndrome, both thematically and vocally.

So what are thoughts, do you think it adds to raids, or do you prefer the idea of all the bosses being stone faced in tone?

I think a balance of the two makes the experience more memorable, as it is HFC is fading into the 'well that happened', list of raids for me.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like goofy bosses, there voice acting keeps the fight amusing and most of the time their mechanics are fun.

Also dont forget Bloodlord Mandokir from Old ZG who dinged off killing you
    "DING"
    Last edited by Fawkess; 2015-09-05 at 10:19 PM.

Deleted
    I mean honestly Fel Lord Zakuun is pretty hilarious. He's like the William Shatner of WoW bosses - unnecessary pauses everywhere.

"Yes... See how they... STRUGGLE..!"

"YOUUUU... CANNOT CONTAIN... OWAH... POWAHHHHH..!"

Etc, etc. The boss is a walking fountain of memes. Tyrant Velhari comes dangerously close to quoting Rick Astley with her aggro line as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    No goofy bosses in hfc? There is plenty of goofy things whether it be the big rock man doing his ability called splish splash I was taking a bath. Or the lady bird who is a FIRIN her laza. Maybe a little 3spooky5me during the council of spooky men

Deleted
    Iron Reaver is a bit goofy, isn't she?
    Last edited by mmoc7ab04461da; 2015-09-06 at 03:49 AM.

You can't tell me that voice isn't goofy.

Have you heard Iron Reaver's voice and lines? It's literally XT 2.0. I think it classifies as being "goofy" in the sense you're looking for.
    Twitter

RIP Summon Stone - Resto Druid Guide Relocated to Wowhead!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavathing View Post
    Have you heard Iron Reaver's voice and lines? It's literally XT 2.0. I think it classifies as being "goofy" in the sense you're looking for.
    Honestly, not really, she's not really thematically out of place and I'd consider her more maniacal. She clearly has a loose grasp on the situation before her, and her purpose is still to mow down all the players. XT and Mimiron and even Maloriak had a sort of higher agenda if not a completely separate one from the raids purpose or tone. That made their fights a bit more stand out I guess...

It's why I didn't count Valiona and Theralion, their bickering was...unique and even a bit goofy, but it was still true to the intent of the raid and thematically in keeping with the Bastion of Twilight. TBH Hanz and Franz don't really meet the criteria of being airheaded or distracting enough to be truly jarringly goofy either, but their voices were a little more stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    I mean honestly Fel Lord Zakuun is pretty hilarious. He's like the William Shatner of WoW bosses - unnecessary pauses everywhere.

"Yes... See how they... STRUGGLE..!"

"YOUUUU... CANNOT CONTAIN... OWAH... POWAHHHHH..!"

Etc, etc. The boss is a walking fountain of memes. Tyrant Velhari comes dangerously close to quoting Rick Astley with her aggro line as well.
    Again they're all...still on board with the raid, none of them really have their own purposes for being there and act out with any furvor toward their own goofyness or quirks. Maybe 'quirky bosses', is a better terminology?
    Last edited by Aqua; 2015-09-06 at 10:26 AM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    So you found Gorefiend serious?

Who you gonna call?

Someone gave a very accurate description to Kargath - "So sad that we killed Kargath. He was my favourite! He looked like some sort of weird emo Orc who probably watched Twilight movies and moaned that nobody understood him (while wearing too much black eye liner and listening to bad music!). RIP little emo-orc..... ". Can't take that boss seriously anymore (despite the fact he was a joke already).

Quote Originally Posted by Mlz View Post
    Someone gave a very accurate description to Kargath - "So sad that we killed Kargath. He was my favourite! He looked like some sort of weird emo Orc who probably watched Twilight movies and moaned that nobody understood him (while wearing too much black eye liner and listening to bad music!). RIP little emo-orc..... ". Can't take that boss seriously anymore (despite the fact he was a joke already).
    And that's... one hundred.