Page 1 of 52
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

First a Bakery, then a Clerk, Now a Judge!

More proof of what tolerance of stupidity and hatred of gay people will get you. Personally I blame all the fence sitters and people who talk a lot of lip service about giving a shit about gay rights, and do fuck all or try to compromise with people of this like mind.

Oregon judge refuses to perform same-sex marriages

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Marion County Judge Vance Day is being investigated by a judicial fitness commission in part over his refusal to perform same-sex marriages on religious grounds, a spokesman for the judge said.

Related Stories

Why a Kentucky clerk can't use her religion as an excuse to avoid marrying gay couples Vox.com
    U.S. clerk jailed for gay marriage defiance; dispute goes on Reuters
    Judge Orders Infamous Kentucky Clerk to Jail for Refusing to Issue Marriage Licenses to Same-Sex Couples Complex Media
    Gay marriage fight in Kentucky likely not the last battleground Reuters
    Why some gay couples in Kentucky are still waiting for marriage licenses Christian Science Monitor
    When a federal court ruling in May 2014 made same-sex marriage legal in Oregon, Day instructed his staff to refer same-sex couples looking to marry to other judges, spokesman Patrick Korten said Friday.

Last fall, he decided to stop performing weddings altogether, aside from one in March that had long been scheduled, Korten said.

"He made a decision nearly a year ago to stop doing weddings altogether, and the principal factor that he weighed was the pressure that one would face to perform a same-sex wedding, which he had a conflict with his religious beliefs," Korten said.

In an email, Day declined to comment and referred questions to Korten.

The issue of same-sex weddings is "the weightiest" of several allegations against Day that are being investigated by the Commission on Judicial Fitness and Disability, Korten said.

He declined to detail any of the allegations, saying he didn't want to defy the commission, which considers complaints confidential until it is ready to make them public.
    http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-judge-r...031226608.html
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    You cant expect people to just go along with something they disagree with just because 5 liberal activists judges demand you do so. Its called civil disobedience. I cant wait till President Donald Trump replaces them all with real judges who believe in tradition and strict interpretation of the constitution when the old farts die off or retire. BTW He is now beating both Hillary and Sanders straight up in the new CNN poll

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem here... He doesn't want to officiate weddings that violates his religious views and referred them to judges who would officiate their weddings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You cant expect people to just go along with something they disagree with just because 5 liberal activists judges demand you do so. Its called civil disobedience. I cant wait till President Donald Trump replaces them all with real judges who believe in tradition and strict interpretation of the constitution when the old farts die off or retire. BTW He is now beating both Hillary and Sanders straight up in the new CNN poll
    Yeah actually I can, it's called following the law, or otherwise not railroading someone else and abusing your power as a judge and to serves the people, not denying a right to someone because they are gay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I don't see a problem here... He doesn't want to officiate weddings that violates his religious views and referred them to judges who would officiate their weddings?
    The problem is he isn't serving in the capacity of a that of a someone who should be allowing his personal beliefs to dictate his duty, he isn't a priest, he is a judge.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-09-05 at 10:31 PM.

Someone on youtube had this to say on the idea that what they're doing is civil disobedience, and I think it's a really good characterization:

These people are not Rosa Parks. These people are the ones complaining that they can no longer force Rosa Parks to go to the back of the bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Someone on youtube had this to say on the idea that what they're doing is civil disobedience, and I think it's a really good characterization:

These people are not Rosa Parks. These people are the ones complaining that they can no longer force Rosa Parks to go to the back of the bus.
    Or more apt, they're standing in the school house doors to prevent racial integration.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone refuses to perform the basic aspects of his position for whatever reason, he should be investigated and possibly removed from the position for not being able to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post

Yeah, I am not one for typically revering anything on YouTube I would have to agree with that sentiment. However this to me is about hate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    If someone refuses to perform the basic aspects of his position for whatever reason, he should be investigated and possibly removed from the position for not being able to do it.
    Yeah, well I think this guys going to try to hide behind some stunt like the clerk did, where they both refused to marry anybody gay or straight up and until a certain point.

Has this judge performed a marriage involving divorced partys before? If so, that religious grounds thing is a bunch of shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    He is a judge which is a government position ... he can't in the line of his work refuse to marry gay couples. He can step down.

Deleted
    Hes a true american hero, defender of true american values.

Elected officials being required to obey the law? The nerve of that judicial system!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

You can expect them to do it. Its their Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Has this judge performed a marriage involving divorced partys before? If so, that religious grounds thing is a bunch of shit.
    Yeah which is why I don't buy that excuse even in moral traditions and only moral traditions it's not an absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

The problem is he isn't serving in the capacity of a that of a someone who should be allowing his personal beliefs to dictate his duty, he isn't a priest, he is a judge.
    He refused to do all weddings not just gay ones. OP is misleading.

"He made a decision nearly a year ago to stop doing weddings altogether, and the principal factor that he weighed was the pressure that one would face to perform a same-sex wedding, which he had a conflict with his religious beliefs," Korten said.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is this "traditional" interpretation of the Constitution? I don't remember anything about Christianity in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good on him for standing up for what he believes in. Id do the same thing
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Hes a true american hero, defender of true american values.
    No he is the definition of an activist judge, ignoring not only the constitution but the law, as I said this is hatred, this is something done because someone can do something and as long as they have the power to abuse their authority they will.

We now have clear-cut cases as to why religious freedom cannot be allowed in the operations of the State.

The separation of church and state was done for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    He refused to do all weddings not just gay ones. OP is misleading.

On what legal grounds did he base his decision to discontinue a service inherent with his public station?

Next you'll be telling me that we should let people with strong phobias of fire continue to be fire fighters. If he refuses to do his job, he should be investigated and his ability to continue in his position evaluated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What is this "traditional" interpretation of the Constitution? I don't remember anything about Christianity in it.
    It's simple: what interpretation will get Trump the most fringe extremists?