Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always wondered why people seems to blame Blizzard that bots exist or a percentage of the community in a given period, resort to use bots in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by zmp View Post
    I always wondered why people seems to blame Blizzard that bots exist or a percentage of the community in a given period, resort to use bots in PVP.
    A lot of it has to deal with how slow Blizzard moves at banning the bots. You'll see Bots dominate for an entire seasons before they get banned. Its frustrating as a player to see these bots for weeks/months at a time doing their thing. Reporting them to Blizzard gets you the generic, "Thank you for your report." paraphrase "Can't tell you the results of the investigation" spiel. It demotivates legitimate players to keep playing because it feels like they are being punished for playing legitimately while those players that do get banned will simply buy another game and resub to the game.

The only solution I can think of that stops those guys from resubbing is simply banning the Credit Card number for the players that do get caught botting. While some players have multiple charge cards they'd eventually run out of cards since Charge Cards are a bit harder to obtain. (For Game Cards simply require a player to register a charge card to the account before they're allowed to use it)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bored One View Post
    This happened repeatedly, not just once or twice.

Basically I attack someone who is clearly afk and while I bring him down, he just stands there not doing anything BUT he still uses defensive cds. An afk healer just pops instant heals and defensive cd while standing there.

This crap in addition to the kick bot crap. Good job, guys, no wonder pvp is bullshit, this is like the end days of the original Counterstrike when all matches had auto head shots and wall hacks.

Why are you attacking AFK players in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by zmp View Post
    because blizzard does nearly nothing against botters. a ban wave every 2 years or so is clearly not enough... after the last ban wave, it took 2 weeks and BGs were full of bots again!

all those botter i report, they never ever get banned, weeks and months after my reports they are still botting around in BGs....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bored One View Post
    This happened repeatedly, not just once or twice.

Basically I attack someone who is clearly afk and while I bring him down, he just stands there not doing anything BUT he still uses defensive cds. An afk healer just pops instant heals and defensive cd while standing there.

This crap in addition to the kick bot crap. Good job, guys, no wonder pvp is bullshit, this is like the end days of the original Counterstrike when all matches had auto head shots and wall hacks.
    So its Blizz's fault people are lazy pieces of shit who write programs to play for them... are you seriously this stupid?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nodq View Post
    because blizzard does nearly nothing against botters. a ban wave every 2 years or so is clearly not enough... after the last ban wave, it took 2 weeks and BGs were full of bots again!

all those botter i report, they never ever get banned, weeks and months after my reports they are still botting around in BGs....
    Because you follow up on each and every one of them, clearly.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Good job on attacking people that are clearly afk!
    Now you showed them not to go afk!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So its Blizz's fault people are lazy pieces of shit who write programs to play for them... are you seriously this stupid?
    No, it's Blizzard's fault for not doing more in combating these bots, which is the entire point of this discussion. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Because you follow up on each and every one of them, clearly.
    did i say that? no.... read , understand context then talk please. Wheni report someone like 5 times already and i see them almost every day in a BG, then what? Common sense? Sigh... this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    How about hiring a competent design team that can improve PvP and eliminate the main reason why people bot in the first place.

People bot for honor because PVP isn't enjoyable when your character is at the point where it still needs honor.
    People bot for fishing even though it is easier than it has ever been.
    You wont eliminate botting entirely, because it can be driven entirely by laziness.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about hiring a competent design team that can improve PvP and eliminate the main reason why people bot in the first place.

People bot for honor because PVP isn't enjoyable when your character is at the point where it still needs honor.
    Lazy assholes who want something for nothing will always bot, even if the PvP system is engaging, rewarding, and fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember vanilla AV AFK bots casting rejuvenation on themselves in the tunnel
    That was more like bind rejuv to your space bar, place the keyboard sideways to the wall / pc / whatever and place a ventilator right to it. every time the vent changed directions it pressed the space bar.

We want the game to be time consuming and convenient!
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Zebuthecow View Post
    BS- see my above comment. People do not bot because of team balance issues. They do it because they feel entitled to cheat. You are an enabler and most likely a cheater too.

When times get tough in real life, you will always let folks down and generally get on their nerves with your entitled crying.

Again-- go to any TF2 forum or other multiplayer game where there are no honor points. Crap just goes on and on with hacks.

Cheaters just look for 'excuses'. You proved my point.

Character determines who cheats and who does not. Period.
    People bot because BGs aren't worth playing by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by robomatticus View Post
    When the game feels more like work than fun you'll start to see a significant increase in botters. WoW PvP starting in vanilla was like a job, but back then the game was fresh and new, so people actually enjoyed running BG's all day. However, as time goes on it feels more like a chore that you have to do in order to compete and have fun. Coupled with the fact that botters are not banned immediately after being caught helps compound the issue. I'm for a more severe punishment for being caught botting. The first should be your last and only warning with a week ban while being stripped of everything earned while suspected of botting. The next should result in a permanent ban to the account.

I stopped PvP'n when denial of service attacks became the best method of beating my teams in Cata. Ever since then whenever I attempt to get back into PvP I encounter large amounts of bots in bgs, auto kick bots in arenas, and addons that basically play the game for people anymore. PvP has only continued to get worse due to these issues, not balance or design issues. Though the insane amount of CC's was quite ridiculous.

Deleted
    In the long run, more ppl get caught and subsequently banned by doing it in waves, since the time and resources it takes prove that someone is using an illegal 3rd party software for cheating means that it is better to let it run for a while (annoying yes especially during the season) as if you pull the trigger too early, you wont catch as many and the programmers will make a new addon/bot that runs differently to the last, therefore needs new detection methods.

Handing out life bans to say 10000 accounts has much more of a impact and a far more likely deterrent effect than banning 1000 every now and again.

The only real solution for PvP with the current system, is just to ban all addons/3rd party software and make everyone pvp with the default UI, any interaction your character has with the combat log can then be easily distinguished. In current form there is far to much grey areas with the ability to run addons, but it would kill the game dead where they to do this so, the first option is the one they go with.

Lets all hope Legion sorts this out with honor going away, tho i doubt it as there will still be a grind for unique pvp ability's through the pvp tree...............lazy ppl will always cheat its human nature, we can rage about until the end of days, or we can just laugh about it and feel sorry for the idiots who gain satisfaction from cheating at a computer game, cause frankly thats pretty sad!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nodq View Post
    did i say that? no.... read , understand context then talk please. Wheni report someone like 5 times already and i see them almost every day in a BG, then what? Common sense? Sigh... this forum.
    Reporting them 5 times won't speed things up, 1 report is enough the other 4 is just spam. Also, I doubt that you see said player/s "every day", the odds of that happening is pretty slim. Exaggerating gets you nowhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robomatticus View Post
    Because of the botters, it's a vicious cycle.

Their problem is they have no heuristics to detect botting. Instead they eventually get their hands on a specific program and figure out how it works enough to tell with reasonable certainty when someone is using it. Then they ban everyone they detect using it.

It's why ban waves are so rare but always huge in number and always affect people using the same program. When someone makes a new program, blizz can't do shit about it until they go through the same process again and honestly it's just not high on their priorities. They hope the occasional banwave is enough of a deterrent to reduce botting.

If they had some way to detect it as it's happening without having to reverse engineer the cheat programs themselves, they'd be able to better deal with the problem. Makes you wonder whatever happened to "warden". I remember when it was first discovered and people flipped their shits about blizzard being able to spy on your private information and all that shit, and yet warden doesn't seem to really do much in practice, can't even detect when another program interacts with WOW in active memory.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    No, it's Blizzard's fault for not doing more in combating these bots, which is the entire point of this discussion. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?
    That's like blaming Google for not stopping a terrorist attacked planned through Gmail. The fault lies with the players, and the bot makers, Blizzard can only do so much without ruining the game for everyone.

The real hilarity here is that he is complaining that he can't kill AFK people easier. Ganking AFK people sure is skillful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Well after the last ban wave idiots will have to turn to the lesser bots which only do "basic" botting in order not to get caught. But yeah all these people have contributed to the game being shittier with every expansion.
    Let's remember that the last ban wave was 6 month bans, not permas, which means those accts. will be back up this November. It was a bullshit PR stunt is all.

Blizz isn't going to do much to stop the cheats because at the higher rated levels like in RBG, the streamers make Blizz money. It's free advertising so the kids that worship teams like Abn and Bailamos keep coming back. Then you have idjits who bot for HKs thinking 'Bloodthirsty' actually means something (it doesn't). Blizz puts more effort into how they're going to lie & spin their story to make it sound good than into actual policing the game.

There isn't a thing Blizz does that isn't trying to increase their profit margins. Doesn't matter if it pisses off players or makes the game miserable, because Blizz figures the addicted no-life fools will keep playing anyway.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-09-23 at 02:19 PM.