10+ Year Old Account

Questions about returning

I'll make this short and sweet.

I bought FF14 for $20 and played for 2 months back in 2013 when I was sick to death of MoP in WoW and was waiting for WoD to launch (lol). I played the AoE tank class.. I honestly can't remember what it was called....Marauder? I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in the game and considered it worth it even just to level. I even upgraded to the CE.

If the leveling experience is as enjoyable as the base game's was, then I'd consider it worth it, even for $40.

My question is this, I stopped doing the main story right when it started requiring raids, how much work would I have ahead of me before I can participate in the expansion if I buy it? I know the expansion requires you to finish the main story in the base game first.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quest

ARR is 2.0, you have to through 2.55

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quest

ARR is 2.0, you have to through 2.55

Is it hard to complete them now since people have moved on and may not be queuing?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Is it hard to complete them now since people have moved on and may not be queuing?
    All the stuff needed for the MSQ are in the daily randoms for higher levels, so it shouldn't be that bad. HOWEVER, these runs will be speed runs, so if you get to one of the bigger 8 mans with cutscenes in the middle, you're going to be forced to skip them or get locked out of boss fights/left behind.

If you queue as tank, just make sure you sort of know the places, because it sometimes happens that both of you tanks are new, not familiar with the place/pulls, and will be met with unpleasant people in the group (the ones who just want their tomes asap).
    Last edited by arisoh; 2015-09-07 at 03:17 PM.

You gotta remember its not WoW, in some fashion all levels of content are relevant to everyone. Either someone is leveling one of the many alt jobs on their character they have or they run daily roullettes where you do things like castrum meridian or titan hm every day at least once to squeeze every possible xp and tomestone bonus out of your day.

The only stuff not as populated is things like Leviathan extreme since its not required to continue the story and is really just for furniture parts and gear glamour at this point. Unless you are specifically chasing the higher difficulty sheva and ramuh for the same reasons.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2015-09-07 at 05:37 PM.

Also if you're doing something you have to queue for and have never done it before, you are put at the front of the queue in priority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Also if you're doing something you have to queue for and have never done it before, you are put at the front of the queue in priority.
    and everyone else gets a bonus for running with someone new to something so its incentivised to help people. Gotta get dat esoteric cheddah!

Even if you're sub-60 but still going through ARR, the poetic reward is useful especially on your first job if the MB is not an option.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

The content between 50 and Heavensward is typically dungeons with a few raids and trials in between. The quests give out gear that make you appropriate for that content difficulty and you will have people who are over-geared joining you for quick experience. The raids that people will speed run are the Garlean empire stuff, just skip the cutscenes and watch them after in your inn. Of the dozen things you have to do only 2 will be speed run. The trials are very much like LFR in that you get a random group and if you fail you will get a 10% boost to the next try which is stackable.
    The only fight so far that I have seen people fail over and over is Ravana hard but that is current expansion content and people are not overgeared.

I came back recently after only having done the main story up to 50 (none of the patch content). I was able to get through the patch content pretty quickly. Most of my queues as DPS were 5-10 minutes. The first patch was pretty boring. The 2nd one was just ok. 3rd one is pretty good and the last 2 were great. HW is really really good.

It took me 3 nights to complete all the patch content to get to HW, but I played for several hours each night. I think it takes 12-15 hours to get through them(?). The story leads right into the expansion so while there is a lot of filler quests mixed in there's also a lot of interesting stuff too.

time spend depends alot on how many cutscenes u watch I feel, I think I spent 40 hours to get through patch 2.0 to 2.55 but I watched every cutscene with audio (japanese audio for that extra story they don't translate) and there's ALOT of cutscenes