Which MOBO / CPU combo?

My current mobo has been giving me bluescreens, and my CPU is a first gen I7 that works with like no other mobos.

Can anyone suggest a good MOBO and CPU ? Budget is around 600 together. From Canada... I'm unsure whats compatible and what is a solid CPU

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    My current mobo has been giving me bluescreens, and my CPU is a first gen I7 that works with like no other mobos.

Can anyone suggest a good MOBO and CPU ? Budget is around 600 together. From Canada... I'm unsure whats compatible and what is a solid CPU
    Well, you'll more than likely need some RAM too, so here is a list without knowing anything that you plan to do with your computer (games played, settings desired, use of intensive software, etc).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.50 @ Vuugo)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($71.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $610.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-07 13:07 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

Would be good to know what the rest of the components of your computer are - just to be sure there are no weird incompatibilities.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Well, you'll more than likely need some RAM too, so here is a list without knowing anything that you plan to do with your computer (games played, settings desired, use of intensive software, etc).

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($71.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $610.44
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-07 13:07 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

Would be good to know what the rest of the components of your computer are - just to be sure there are no weird incompatibilities.
    That Motherboard is pricey. Can get one just as good for a fair bit less. The RAM is also pricey. No real need for 1866, the difference between 1866 and 1600 will not really be noticed. You can easily OC 1600 RAM to 1866. With the saved money there, can get a much better CPU Cooler as well.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.75 @ Vuugo)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $598.22
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-07 21:42 EDT-0400

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That Motherboard is pricey. Can get one just as good for a fair bit less. The RAM is also pricey. No real need for 1866, the difference between 1866 and 1600 will not really be noticed. You can easily OC 1600 RAM to 1866. With the saved money there, can get a much better CPU Cooler as well.
    Well, the Pro-gamer is - in my opinion anyway - better than the gigabyte board. But your recommended stuff is fine too. I don't even know if the OP wants to over-clock, has the knowledge to over-clock RAM, etc. I was just trying to give the best stuff I could for limited info (better MoBo, already OC'd RAM and a CPU cooler that will do the job (and not have that hideous cream brown!). Heh, Noctua makes good coolers, but why do they have to be so ugly?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Well, the Pro-gamer is - in my opinion anyway - better than the gigabyte board. But your recommended stuff is fine too. I don't even know if the OP wants to over-clock, has the knowledge to over-clock RAM, etc. I was just trying to give the best stuff I could for limited info (better MoBo, already OC'd RAM and a CPU cooler that will do the job (and not have that hideous cream brown!). Heh, Noctua makes good coolers, but why do they have to be so ugly?
    What makes the Pro-Gamer board better? What features does it have that the other does not that actually have an impact on gaming? Personally, I actually use an ASRock Pro3 which is even less expensive and have a nice OC on there with OCed RAM. My friend has the even less expensive ASRock Z97 Anniversary Edition and has a 4.8gHz OC on his 4690k with it and OCed his RAM as well and has no issues with anything. I constantly see people(not necessarily you) say things about these cheaper boards I generally recommend like, "I've always had bad luck with them," ot "those cheaper boards are no good." I have direct evidence to the contrary though. I know some people claim the quality of the ASRock is a little lower than Gigabyte and ASUS, so I only recommend it on severe budgets, opting to stick with the Gigabyte instead as they are some of the better OCers. ASUS boards do have some of the best pre-set configs for OCing, but the Gigabytes tend to do slightly better with manual.

7+ Year Old Account
    What makes the Pro-Gamer board better?
    The Pro-gamer is pretty much an ROG board for dummies/newbies - Better LAN chipset, better BIOS, better Audio Chipset. The pro-gamer is a tier 2 Class A board, the Gaming-3 is a tier 3 board. Will both boards fit OP's needs? Sure.

The Gaming-5 is likely on par with the pro-gamer and comes in a bit cheaper. If you want the OP to go with a gigabyte board, that is the better one to recommend (only 10 more than the Gaming 3), but I would pay the extra money just for the BIOS, Fan Xpert 3, and the better construction of the ASUS board.

The Pro-gamer is pretty much an ROG board for dummies/newbies - Better LAN chipset, better BIOS, better Audio Chipset. The pro-gamer is a tier 2 Class A board, the Gaming-3 is a tier 3 board. Will both boards fit OP's needs? Sure.

The Gaming-5 is likely on par with the pro-gamer and comes in a bit cheaper. If you want the OP to go with a gigabyte board, that is the better one to recommend (only 10 more than the Gaming 3), but I would pay the extra money just for the BIOS, Fan Xpert 3, and the better construction of the ASUS board.
    Please elaborate. Better BIOS? How is the BIOS better? Fan Xpert3? I would know nothing about. I use a fan controller myself. Also, who says ASUS has better construction than Gigabyte? Gigabyte makes AMAZING boards. Some of the best actually. If you are going to claim things like better construction, please, cite sources. In reality, so does ASRock. Sure, in the past they used old ASUS parts but that is not the case anymore. They make excellent boards now. Comparable to ASUS and Gigabyte.

7+ Year Old Account
    Please elaborate. Better BIOS? How is the BIOS better? Fan Xpert3? I would know nothing about. I use a fan controller myself. Also, who says ASUS has better construction than Gigabyte? Gigabyte makes AMAZING boards. Some of the best actually. If you are going to claim things like better construction, please, cite sources. In reality, so does ASRock. Sure, in the past they used old ASUS parts but that is not the case anymore. They make excellent boards now. Comparable to ASUS and Gigabyte.
    Okay, well. I gave me rec's to the OP - you gave yours. I don't think we need to derail this thread into what you and I think are better. The Pro-Gamer is the best MoBo I have ever used, my personal experience its the best constructed board, and the best BIOS I've ever used. I can find plenty of internet that supports that, and I am sure you can find plenty on the internet that says otherwise. That's fine. OP asked what's a good Combo, I gave my recs on something I KNOW is a good combo. The Pro-Gamer is an excellent motherboard, it has simply the best BIOS I have ever used. The construction is superb. The LAN chipset is great and dropped my latency in WoW, the audio chipset is what they use on their Tier 1 ROG line and is great, the bundled software - Fan Xpert 3 in particular is fabulous. You just seem combative, and I am not looking to debate here. That's not why I post here, I post here because I enjoy helping people when they ask for it, not getting attacked by random dudes for the components I recommend. I stand by my recommendation for the reasons I gave, you disagree - that's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, when i claim better construction and better bios - that is just my own subjective opinion based on my own experiences. I have built a computer with a Gigabyte board for my Nephew - he loves it, but the board was difficult in a couple of ways, but we got it. I have built a budget build for a co-worker with an ASRock board, that board felt flimsy in my hand, but he loves his computer too. My last three computers have been ASUS boards, and I have always been impressed by them. My last build was with the Pro-gamer, and it was the easiest build ever for me.

Okay, well. I gave me rec's to the OP - you gave yours. I don't think we need to derail this thread into what you and I think are better. The Pro-Gamer is the best MoBo I have ever used, my personal experience its the best constructed board, and the best BIOS I've ever used. I can find plenty of internet that supports that, and I am sure you can find plenty on the internet that says otherwise. That's fine. OP asked what's a good Combo, I gave my recs on something I KNOW is a good combo. The Pro-Gamer is an excellent motherboard, it has simply the best BIOS I have ever used. The construction is superb. The LAN chipset is great and dropped my latency in WoW, the audio chipset is what they use on their Tier 1 ROG line and is great, the bundled software - Fan Xpert 3 in particular is fabulous. You just seem combative, and I am not looking to debate here. That's not why I post here, I post here because I enjoy helping people when they ask for it, not getting attacked by random dudes for the components I recommend. I stand by my recommendation for the reasons I gave, you disagree - that's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, when i claim better construction and better bios - that is just my own subjective opinion based on my own experiences. I have built a computer with a Gigabyte board for my Nephew - he loves it, but the board was difficult in a couple of ways, but we got it. I have built a budget build for a co-worker with an ASRock board, that board felt flimsy in my hand, but he loves his computer too. My last three computers have been ASUS boards, and I have always been impressed by them. My last build was with the Pro-gamer, and it was the easiest build ever for me.
    I apoligize if I seemed combative or trying to debate. I am really just genuinely curious why people think they are better. I see people recommend them all the time and just do not understand why, that is all. I too just come here to help people. However, I get most of my info from personal experience and this board itself. I do not build computers for a living or anything, I just try to keep up to date on things by reading articles and listening to what other people around here have to say. When you say something like, "It has a better BIOS," I am genuinely curios as to why you would think that. Personally, my last boards were ASUS, but that was about 5-6 years ago when I built those systems. My new systems were on a tighter budget so I used ASRock. The ASRock board was easier to do things on for me, but it was also a much newer board so not really a good comparison.

Again, I apoligize for seeming combative, I was really just curious.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, I apoligize for seeming combative, I was really just curious.
    No worries, I should not have assumed you were just itching for a fight. The best thing a person can do is be informed, and you just want info - sorry to misread your intent.

Here is a good overview of the Pro-Gamer, as an FYI: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-z97...rboard-review/

Deleted
    The pro gamer is a nice board. They sort-a made it like a bridge between their "normal" boards and rog ones. But the price is not there atm, 164 bucks is alot considering with 130 you get ga gaming5 or with a alittle more G1sniper or even gaming7. What i am trying to say is that its worth its money but the others are better deals for the money. What i do find worth the money, on a budget-non oc build is the asus B85 gamer that at times its on a low price worth to grab.