Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Previously, most recolors used to come from the same source, and that was cool. They are a tool to offer cosmetic choice and to make people feel more unique even if a lot of them use the same mount. For example, earning exalted with Netherwing opened up 6 recolors for you, you could get any or all.

Later on, recolors of very cool, "flagship" mounts started going to individual sources, and this also works well because it strengthens the identity of each individual mount. These are mounts that would suffer from putting 6 or 12 of them on sale at a single "dragon breeder" or equivalent; mounts like the various Drakes, and especially the Proto-Drakes and the Cloud Serpents.

Then, in WoD, we have 12 boar variations, and each and every single one of them has its own source, or at least its own individual grind. For Horde players, it's almost as bad with wolves - there are 10 of them total, to be obtained individually.

The problem is that neither boars nor wolves are cool enough to be a "flagship" expansion mount. You can go on saying "Oh, I got a Thundering Onyx Cloud serpent!" and "Oh, I got a Heavenly Crimson Cloud serpent!" and still be excited, but you can't do the same with: "Oh, I got my first tan boar, how cool!" and "Oh, I got a blue boar now!" and "Oh, oh, look at that rep and that rare, a brown boar, and a slightly darker brown boar! Yay!".

It just doesn't have the awesome factor to keep people interested over so many subsequent recolors. Rylaks might have, as there are 14 unused models, both armored and unarmored, aside from the store and pathfinder ones. Hydras? Maybe, but they never made it into mounts, although at some point they had a /mountspecial animation. Just like a "boar farm" rep with 10 recolors would have been cool and wholesome. As well as frostwolves giving more wolves instead of spreading them around.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2015-09-08 at 05:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    At the end of the day I just use travel form anyways.

I'm not vocal about it, but I don't see the point in re-colors. I bought a boar from my garrison vendor, so I don't need anymore boars from anything. If one day they have a Draenor timewalking reward, and it's a boar, I won't be interested.

So I guess, rather than re-colors, it would make more sense to me if they added something interesting and new; maybe not even necessarily a mount. A new toy that transforms you into something from WotLK, like a zombie, or the lich king, or one of those beetle things would be cool. Maybe a cloak reward that doesn't necessarily appeal to raiders for it's stats, but it's a solid black with a skull or a picture of Frostmourne on it. People would be timewalking like crazy, just for the transmog. Instead, it's same mount, different color.

I think people that seek duplicate mounts of various colors are a part of a VERY small crowd, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    On youtube all comments of the new mounts are floated with;

"Woah, that's a brand new model! From 2006 :O"
    "They're not even trying anymore."
    "Nothing special. Just a recolored version of the dragonhawk mounts we already have in game."
    "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS. HAHAHAHAHA, THAT RESKIN!"

Seriously, People never were this mount obsessed around wotlk/cata days, why people MUST have a new mount now for everything.

This is just timewalking and it DELIVERS a TBC mount for your TBC Timewalking.

Having to use an older model in game doesn't mean it's bad. There are like 2 versions of dragonhawks, so we finally have a 3rd one.

Whats the unneseccary hate? Are you so spoiled IRL and in WoW that you just want more?
    because we paid them to work on the game, they are soooooo lazy to go out with a recolor already done skin lol, what a bunch of lazy programmers they are

My complaint with the mount isn't that it's a recolor. My complaint is the lack of a saddle. I have a hard time suspending disbelief that my character can ride a mount like a dragonhawk without some kind of saddle to keep me in one spot. If that mount were real, you'd fall off faster than you can blink.

Just making a regular mob mount enabled without anything added to say it is a mount is just lazy. The worgen mounts are just as bad as the red/blue dragonhawk and now the eclipse one. Blizzard just took NPCs, enabled them to be ridden, and called it good. No effort was put in to add any tack (for those unfamiliar with the term tack = saddle and bridle) to say that the mount is a mount and not just a mount enabled NPC. Blizzard could have pulled the same stunt with the dragon mounts back in WotLK but at least they made the effort to add a saddle. That can't make the same effort with the dragonhawks? They could have at least taken the armored dragonhawk model, recolored it with the eclipse dragonhawk skin, and released that. But no. It shows Blizzard is being lazy. Hell, even the soaring skyterror is an NPC mount that Blizzard released to players because of our complaints.

Blizzard puts in so much effort on mounts we have to spend $25 for. Why can't they put in the same effort for other mounts that we can get in game, especially ones that take 7+ MONTHS to get? Blizzard's getting to the point where they'll do the bare minimum on stuff we can obtain in game and put all of their effort into things that we have to spend extra for. It's getting irritating and the outcry will only get worse if this continues into Legion (and beyond). What "mount" are they going to release next which turns out to just be another random NPC that's mount enabled?

When you pay a sub, you would want to get something in return, something unique. Having a guy make a model of a mount isn't that hard, and if you are as large as Activision Blizzard, you know they can do it. It makes people happy, funny thing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think people that seek duplicate mounts of various colors are a part of a VERY small crowd, but I could be wrong.
    +1 to the collection is +1 to the collection. WoD did do a good job of freeing me from the +1 to the collection twinge, but I can't blame it on the recolours because it's not like most of my collection wasn't full of recolours before this expansion. It's been full of recolours since day one. It would have been nice if that dragonhawk had a saddle added though.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think people would care as much if the in game mounts were as cool as some of the cash shop ones.

My major gripe and one that is often repeated throughout the forums and in game is that the mounts available in game are typically just recolors or very bland, however for for the low price of 25USD you can have this really cool unique mount!

Lol @ this thread. You are the reason they are lazy, they know most don't care.

Every mount from the collecting achiev should have been unique, but no, all of them are recolors.

The game was better when there were way less mounts. It's just overkill right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwaite View Post
    No, players just want some cool mounts with new unique models to be available in-game (through playing you know) and not only in the cash shop for 20$.
    There are plenty of mounts in-game with unique models, and they continue adding them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    When you pay a sub, you would want to get something in return, something unique. Having a guy make a model of a mount isn't that hard, and if you are as large as Activision Blizzard, you know they can do it. It makes people happy, funny thing that.
    So then go use your time in-game to obtain one of the unique model mounts obtainable in-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    I dont think people would care as much if the in game mounts were as cool as some of the cash shop ones.

My major gripe and one that is often repeated throughout the forums and in game is that the mounts available in game are typically just recolors or very bland, however for for the low price of 25USD you can have this really cool unique mount!
    No, people gripe because it's something they'd have to pay for.

I can't fathom why anyone would want the My little pony bug-eyed rainbow whimsy gecko mount, but people were stark raving mad that it was a store mount and not obtainable in-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    because we paid them to work on the game, they are soooooo lazy to go out with a recolor already done skin lol, what a bunch of lazy programmers they are
    There are numerous mounts added to the game with each patch that are obtainable in-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Let's see here...most of the new in game mounts for actual collectors are reskins. But the cash shop mounts? Flashy new models, flashy new animations, flashy new everything.

I just can't imagine how anyone would be upset at that.

But seriously, half of being a mount collector is to show off your accomplishments. When a reward for doing something amazing in the game is so bland people won't even know it is associated with an achievement and even worse, won't care, it is mortifying for those people.

Then to see Johnny Wallet riding around on a new flashy Moose, not a care in the world about collecting mounts....And let's be clear. This isn't an issue of haves and have-nots, it's the fact that the quality level is so skewed.
    Are you kidding? The part of being a mount collector is showing you have a crapton of mounts.

All of those Netherwing drake reskins are doing the same thing as those boar reskins are doing for me right now: boosting my mount total. And that's regardless of whether you think the "netherwing drake reskins are more justified than boars."

I don't ride any of them. I ride Invincible around (you know, a mount obtainable in-game that's far cooler than any store mount?) Any thing beyond a very, VERY narrow band of mounts (Invincible, Ashes of Al'ar, Swift Razzashi raptor, swift zulian tiger) are all sitting in my mount space boosting my number up.

Oh, also, i don't buy store mounts. Not that I'd ride a fucking moose around even if it were obtainable in-game.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    On youtube all comments of the new mounts are floated with;

"Woah, that's a brand new model! From 2006 :O"
    "They're not even trying anymore."
    "Nothing special. Just a recolored version of the dragonhawk mounts we already have in game."
    "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS. HAHAHAHAHA, THAT RESKIN!"

Seriously, People never were this mount obsessed around wotlk/cata days, why people MUST have a new mount now for everything.

This is just timewalking and it DELIVERS a TBC mount for your TBC Timewalking.

Having to use an older model in game doesn't mean it's bad. There are like 2 versions of dragonhawks, so we finally have a 3rd one.

Whats the unneseccary hate? Are you so spoiled IRL and in WoW that you just want more?
    I think ever since the cloud serpent spam we got in MoP, people have been wanting unique/quality mounts as opposed to sheer quantity.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I think ever since the cloud serpent spam we got in MoP, people have been wanting unique/quality mounts as opposed to sheer quantity.
    You know that most all mounts in WoW are, and have been, recolors, right?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Edit: So it comes down to the hundreds and hundreds of dungeons you run gets you this low quality, reused asset vs spending $25.00 to get a brand new magical moose. And people don't understand why this would make people upset?
    This about sums it up nicely. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You know that most all mounts in WoW are, and have been, recolors, right?
    Maybe so, but back in Classic, TBC, and Wrath, basically once you unlocked the model you unlocked most of the colors for rep mounts. It wasn't faction X has a red wolf but faction Y has the blue wolf. You got exalted with the orcs? You got their wolf mount. And that includes all the recolors, with the exception of a few rare recolors that fit other factions such as the white Frostwolf.

I could tell you where each recolor of each model came from in those expansions, because it all made sense. Now? Who gave me the blue boar and who gave me the red boar? I dunno. I really couldn't tell you.

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post

Maybe so, but back in Classic, TBC, and Wrath, basically once you unlocked the model you unlocked most of the colors for rep mounts. It wasn't faction X has a red wolf but faction Y has the blue wolf. You got exalted with the orcs? You got their wolf mount. And that includes all the recolors, with the exception of a few rare recolors that fit other factions such as the white Frostwolf.

I could tell you where each recolor of each model came from in those expansions, because it all made sense. Now? Who gave me the blue boar and who gave me the red boar? I dunno. I really couldn't tell you.
    ...except for in WotLK, when there were four different bear reskins from different sources (technically seven if you count the alliance/horde coloring,) six different mammoths (again, twelve if you count the different coloring,) eight different proto drake reskins, all from different sources (raid and dungeon meta achievements, an achievement that took a year to get, and three rare drops,) ALL of the reskins in the argent tournament (I think there were like... 45?) The crimson death charger from the legendary quest chain sharing the same model with the DK starter mount, and seven different drake reskins, all from different sources.

So yeah, you know, instead of the vast majority of the mounts in WotLK.

And honestly, i fail to see much of a difference between "eight boar recolors spread over eight things" versus "eight nether drakes spread across one thing." It's the exact same number of mounts. And it's not like BC had "more activities rewarding a broader diversity of mounts as a whole" even compared to WoD. So in essence it'd boil down to fewer sources rewarding a number of mounts versus MORE sources rewarding that same number of mounts (which is an untrue comparison anyway; there are more mounts in WoD.) Which is basically the same amount of "artistic work" anyway, so you can't say the shop is any sort of detriment if more mounts of variable models are physically produced.

For WoD we have:

Boars
    Armored Boars
    Riverbeasts
    Clefthooves
    Armored Clefthoof
    Wolf
    Armored Wolf
    Elekk
    Armored Elekk
    Talbuk
    Rylak
    Solar Spirehawk
    Fel Reaver
    Gronnlings
    Corehound
    Dread Raven
    PVP kodo
    PvP ram
    PvP raptor
    PvP Mech strider
    Yeti
    New Horde chopper
    New Alliance Chopper

versus BC in which we had

Netherwing drakes
    PvP armored Netherwings
    Nether rays
    Gryphons
    Armored Gryphons
    Wind Rider
    Armored Wind Rider
    Al'ar
    Amani Warbear
    Attumen's steed
    Hawkstriders
    Armored Hawkstriders
    Engineering choppers
    Elekk
    Armored Elekk
    Cenarion Hippogryph
    Talubks
    Armored Talbuks

So we have... 23 Individual WoD models versus... 18 individual BC models.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Over the last 2 expansions Blizzard added a SHIT ton of mounts, that I just don't care about them anymore. And to the poster above me, BC mounts were much cooler than WoD mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Because the gaming community now sucks... Everyone always finds something to complain about regardless of how much work is put into it.. Everyone wants this... Everyone wants that.. No one will ever be happy ... Blizzard does something that the community wants *cough* WOD *cough* yes.. I know it was a shitty expansion ( besides raiding in my opinion ) but I remember back from VANILLA all the way up to MOP everyone always talked about a passed expansion and wanted blizzard to do it.. but when they did all they got was "man... What a fail blizzard.. can't even come up with new content.. you have to use old lore to do anything now" .. Honestly.. Its not that hard to come up with new lore for a game... Mist of panderia was a great example.. but regardless how much ANY gaming company puts into a game.. they will always find hate.... But I also do see that its pretty crappy for blizzard to put the really really cool mounts in the shop.. but eh.. doesn't affect me cause i have the option to buy it or not .. and its not gonna ruin my game if i don't haha..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Over the last 2 expansions Blizzard added a SHIT ton of mounts, that I just don't care about them anymore. And to the poster above me, BC mounts were much cooler than WoD mounts.
    That's your opinion.

My favorite ground mount is the swift razzashi raptor. That's a mount from Vanilla. No Store mount trumps it in looks. I wouldn't ride any BC mount over it (and I have every single BC mount, save for the old Amani Warbear.) The only mount that beats it in my book is Invincible, which is a non-awkward land-and-air mount, so I ride it.

The only other major contender for "mount I would always ride" is the heavenly onyx cloud serpent, but I don't have it.

So there you go. My favorite mounts are from Vanilla, WotLK, and MoP. Not from the store. And not from BC.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

All this boar recolor hate and no one batts an eye at the 8 different gryphons available in Dalaran. The blue, green, purple, brown all with armor or the blue, green, purple, brown without armor.

7 boar recolors each from a different objective sounds 1000x better.
    "They will come for us now, all of them" "Let them come, Frostmourne The Banshee Queen hungers."

Because people will whine about everything.

Most WoD mounts were shitty, nearly identical recolors. But people aren't complaining about the quality of the recolors, it's just "omg another recolor have to qq".