Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I dislike it massively ... Tested those in both Wildstar and SWTOR.. I go there maybe 2-3 times then never ever return unless forced to by some quest or something.

Garrison in WoW was my own personal jail'n'hell... that shite made me unsub half a year ago and I'll never return if WoW gate story progress behind these kind of walls!

Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    It's something creative to do in game that you can show off to others.
    https://xkcd.com/920/ -- substitute "my housing" for "video"
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

To use your condescending tonality: Do you like to play dress up with your virtual Warcraft dolls by putting them in cool looking outfits via transmog?

Thats the same reason people like PH.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    So any time someone suggest a new feature for WoW you just tell them to go play a game that already has it?
    Absolutely, that's a logical conclusion!

Or not. There are plenty of "new" features that I've been positive towards. Player housing WoW style was one of them until the developers fucked it up royally. Given what we got in WoD, I'd be happy if they don't try again.

you know this is by no means a new thing right?

Star Wars Galaxies had amazing integrated to the gameplay player housing. it can be done right.

dark age of camelot had personal housing but i never messed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Absolutely, that's a logical conclusion!

Or not. There are plenty of "new" features that I've been positive towards. Player housing WoW style was one of them until the developers fucked it up royally. Given what we got in WoD, I'd be happy if they don't try again.
    WoD didn't have housing. Blizzard told us it wasn't going to be housing. When they were describing it they compared garrisons to the old RTS games. So because Blizzard failed to do housing, because they specifically weren't trying to do housing, you don't want them to do housing?

Personally I'm kind of surprised blizz implemented "player housing" when they did. I played since launch and I remember back in the early days I'd see stuff about people interested in player housing from time to time, mostly on the forums, never in game. After about a year or two, I never really saw it again. I think it could work in the game but it can't just be a solo thing, not sure if it should be a guild thing, but making it a solo experience essentially sucked out the fun. I get that if there wasn't a big reward, then a lot of people wouldn't do it, but I think that's ok, if some people feel like skipping it, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    https://xkcd.com/920/ -- substitute "my housing" for "video"
    erm. that makes no sense whatsoever.

That's a question broad enough to get a dozen answers that are all right.

Some gamers really groove on managing resources. Some players like collecting things. Some gamers want a game that's more creative than tactical. Some want to create a space for storytelling or roleplaying, some want to feather a nest with things they couldn't normally acquire, some players want to see what a system is capable of (see: building primitive processors and story-driven FPS in Minecraft).

Every game's housing scratches different itches. For instance, Trove's housing has blocks that make music when you step on them, and people have used them (along with monorail tracks and rail vehicles) to reproduce popular music. W*'s housing community has groups who do tavern roleplay in taverns they built for the purpose. WoW's garrisons make resource acquisition a home game. You might as well ask why people care about character advancement, or why so many games are about fighting.

Everquest II has player housing. I think like 5% of the players like player housing a lot and another 10% like it a little, IIRC.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    So they can sit around and play virtual house? I don't know the whole thing is absolutely stupid to me. I have had houses in several games but only use them for storage in general. Like in FFXI I had like 100 flower pots because I grew elemental ore. Every inch had a flower pot in it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    So they can sit around and play virtual house? I don't know the whole thing is absolutely stupid to me. I have had houses in several games but only use them for storage in general. Like in FFXI I had like 100 flower pots because I grew elemental ore. Every inch had a flower pot in it.
    Where do people get this "play virtual house" crap from? You might see that on RP servers, but the vast majority of "pro-housing" players use them for either building stuff or purely utilitarian purposes (such as you suggested with your FFXI mog house). Both are valid uses.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Garrisons aren't player housing. I would like if they implemented actual player housing and the ability to really customize your personal space.
    For a start.... if my nelf characters wanted "housing" they wouldnt do it in the middle of a HUMAN styled "garrison"!

"Player Housing" has been an issue in MMOs at least as far back as the 1990s - the reason is personalization, customization, and a form of permanence in a virtual world. World of Warcraft is terrible at customization and personalization compared to many other games, including most prominently Minecraft.

This is why Transmogging is so incredibly popular - it's a *minor* form of customization in a game designed around exposing players to the developer's vision, not about allowing them freedom or creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    WoW did NOT do it with Garrisons. It's so far from what we asked for so it might as well had been a giant bag of poo
    It was a giant bag of poo wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Everquest II has player housing. I think like 5% of the players like player housing a lot and another 10% like it a little, IIRC.
    I would love to know the source of those numbers.

Deleted
    Because it's a tiny part of the game that's yours.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    erm. that makes no sense whatsoever.
    no one will care what your place will look like. they'll just tolerate it so they have an opportunity to show off their place.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like world building- fell in love with the concept of constructing your own home/shop/fort in Ultima Online back in the day, stocking it with your own vendors and such- you actually could impact on the world.

Honestly though my favorite example of housing in recent memory is Wildstar, the customization is amazing and I've seen some really neat platforming plots that were fun to invite your friends over and run through. Same with the Landmark Beta- creativity is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Just wanted to echo the chorus...Garrisons are not "player housing". There are a couple things in garrisons I would expect to see in player housing, but all-in-all, garrisons missed the mark by a long shot - and on top of that, will be obsolete after this xpac. Player housing must transcend expansion.
    Garrisons were not player housing definately! Unfortunately I think Blizzard are going to consider them just that - and then when someone says "how about player housing at last" they can say "We tried that with garrisons and there wasnt as much demand as we thought"