Poll: What do you call these?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What do you call this type of onion?

I generally call it a scallion, but sometimes I call them green onions. I have also heard people call them spring onions. But I was at a restaurant today that had them as a side dish and they called them "Skunions", which I had never heard before. What do you call them?

EDIT: I even once heard them called skullions.

Last edited by GarlicGuy; 2015-09-08 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I typically call them "green onions", but I think they have a more official name.

10+ Year Old Account
    scallions is the green stem part of the green onion which is what that is called. There is probably a genom/species name for it but that is more for science than regular people

Scallion is the name I heard most often growing up.

Deleted
    spring onions fam

They are onions.

The white part would have grown into a proper onion if it wasn't harvested early.

Harvesting them early turns them into "Green Onions" because the big green edible stalk.

Green Onion. I was taught that Scalions are the ones with more bulbous ends.

Deleted
    Forårsløg (In Danish; Spring Onions)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    They are onions.

The white part would have grown into a proper onion if it wasn't harvested early.

Harvesting them early turns them into "Green Onions" because the big green edible stalk.
    I think this is the reason why "spring onion" is such a common name for them.

I'm not a native english speaker, but I never heard that type of onion to be called anything other than "leeks".

10+ Year Old Account
    Green onion or scallions. You use the white and green parts differently, most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Leek, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlav Kalash View Post
    I'm not a native english speaker, but I never heard that type of onion to be called anything other than "leeks".
    Lol leeks are an entirely different plant.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    A leek is not a green onion. They're very closely related since they're in the same family but they're not quite the same veggie.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    scallions is the green stem part of the green onion which is what that is called. There is probably a genom/species name for it but that is more for science than regular people

Not if you trust wikipedia.

Also, this was interesting......

Scallions have various other common names throughout the world. These names include spring onion, green onion, table onion, salad onion, onion stick, long onion, baby onion, precious onion, yard onion, gibbon, syboe, or scally onion

10+ Year Old Account
    i call it draenei food.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I call them green onions. Sometimes chives because even though they are completely different plants they are used the same way and have the same flavour. I hate them so I usually ask for none in my food.

Deleted
    delicious

/fucking10charbullshit

Nope, they are NOT leeks, though they do look like a tiny version of a leek.