Adding 3rd monitor

Hello,

My question is as follows:
    I have a PC with 2 monitors, everything works fine - I got a Geforce GTX 960 with 1 HDMI cable going to monitor 1 and 1 DVI cable going to monitor 2.
    Now I have a 3rd monitor that I want to sometimes display my monitor 1 screen. Will this work if I get a HDMI splitter and connect my 1 HDMI port from my graphics card into the HDMI in monitor 1 and 3? And if this works, will this affect my performance alot? And does it also affect it when monitor 3 is turned off or do I have to take out the cable completely? Monitor 1 and 2 are 22 inch, monitor 3 is 40 inch.

I guess I can also set it up as a 3rd monitor on its own, without mirroring the things on monitor 1 but then my performance question still stands.

Anyone that can help me out?

Kind regards,

DJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Splitting the signal at 2 ends won't affect your performance at all, it's all still the same for the GPU.

Putting a third display as a real display will but I suppose it doesn't make any noticeable difference for a GTX960 unless you try to actually play things using them all.

Quote Originally Posted by djvdlaan View Post
    Hello,

My question is as follows:
    I have a PC with 2 monitors, everything works fine - I got a Geforce GTX 960 with 1 HDMI cable going to monitor 1 and 1 DVI cable going to monitor 2.
    Now I have a 3rd monitor that I want to sometimes display my monitor 1 screen. Will this work if I get a HDMI splitter and connect my 1 HDMI port from my graphics card into the HDMI in monitor 1 and 3? And if this works, will this affect my performance alot? And does it also affect it when monitor 3 is turned off or do I have to take out the cable completely? Monitor 1 and 2 are 22 inch, monitor 3 is 40 inch.

I guess I can also set it up as a 3rd monitor on its own, without mirroring the things on monitor 1 but then my performance question still stands.

Anyone that can help me out?

Kind regards,

DJ
    To clarify a bit on what Artorius said.

Size of the monitor is irrelevant to performance, the resolution is what matters.

It's pretty much the same with the number of monitors. With nVidia at least, a multi-monitor set up for gaming, essentially has the card telling the OS that all of the monitors you are using for gaming are a single monitor. So a triple 1920x1080 monitor setup means you are essentially trying to game on a 5760x1080 monitor.

Note it's ONLY gaming (pretty much) that this is an issue for. Compared to trying to generate a 3d world at high frame rates, displaying a 2D bitmapped image is essentially trivial.

The only drawback to using an HDMI splitter that I can think of, might be if you were trying to do something that involved HDMI copy protection. It's possible a splitter might cause issues with that. However, I don't really think that is an issue for a computer or anything you are likely to do on one.

Thanks guys.