View Poll Results: what is the solution going forward?

Voters
186. This poll is closed
  • Gay couples have to get married in places where the Clerk doesn't object.

9 4.84%
  • Obama should get involved and force the issue.

58 31.18%
  • It should be a State issue to remove Mrs Davis even if they don't

91 48.92%
  • Expand the protection to all government employees to refuse duty that conflict with their faith

28 15.05%
Page 1 of 37
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Federal Judge Orders Immediate Release of Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis.

So Now that Kim Davis has defied the courts, and has basically said she is going to not only comply with the law, but she is going to obstruct it, the question becomes, what is the solution going forward?

And more importantly what kind of precedence with will set going forward for those serving public office of all different beliefs and backgrounds?

The federal judge who threw a renegade Kentucky clerk in jail for contempt of court last week ordered her release on Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning ordered the immediate release of Rowan County clerk Kim Davis, who spent the Labor Day weekend in detention following her repeated refusals to comply with an order to issue marriage licenses to eligible couples within her jurisdiction.

The judge reached his decision after receiving a status report from the plaintiffs in the case -- same-sex couples who sued Davis after being refused marriage licenses following the Supreme Court's June ruling legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide.

In the order, Bunning noted he was "satisfied" that Davis' office was "fulfilling its obligation to issue marriage licenses to all legally eligible couples," in accordance with Supreme Court precedent and an August order in which he forbade Davis from enforcing a "no marriage policy" that effectively kept all couples -- gay and straight -- from obtaining marriage licenses.

Bunning's order Tuesday made clear that Davis must "not interfere in any way, directly or indirectly, with the efforts of her deputy clerks to issue marriage licenses to all legally eligible couples," and that any such interference would result in "appropriate sanctions."

The judge also ordered the deputy clerks who are issuing marriage licenses in the place of Davis to file status reports with the court every two weeks so as to ensure compliance with the court's order.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...81519567492553
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    So the judge basically fired her, but she gets to keep getting paid... meh.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Here we go..again. We start up the argument again about equal marriage for everyone and yet see people who try to argue the other side.

As far as her. Almost all but a few of the Republican candidates back the side of "She should do her job". Obviously Huckabee will not change and I guess Ted Cruz is still out.

Actually her release is contingent on her agreement not to interfere with the issuance of licenses by the staff in the clerk's office. As your article says. So why the histrionics? Is your position that she should sit in jail until she personally issues a license to a homosexual couple?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So the judge basically fired her, but she gets to keep getting paid... meh.
    She and Lois Lerner can go on vacation together?

He set her free because there were other clerks, her employees who are issuing licenses. He told her not to interfere with her subordinates. Least that's the story I read.

We will see.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Actually her release is contingent on her agreement not to interfere with the issuance of licenses by the staff in the clerk's office. As your article says. So why the histrionics? Is your position that she should sit in jail until she personally issues a license to a homosexual couple?

- - - Updated - - -

She and Lois Lerner can go on vacation together?
    Id prefer she sit in jail for a decent amount of time on civil rights violations, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as she doesn't get in the way of the people doing their jobs I don't see the issue.

Obama has no reason to get involved in something like this, it's an issue he can weigh in on but there's no reason for him to take action for something this small.

As a general rule I'm perfectly fine with people of all faiths, beliefs, etc. serving in different capacities in the government. But they need to realize that as a government official they have to obey the law of the land. If your beliefs don't align then you should find something in the private sector or just another government job that doesn't require you to deal with what you are having the conflict over.
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2015-09-08 at 07:35 PM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Is your position that she should sit in jail until she personally issues a license to a homosexual couple?
    Thats what I would have done if I were the judge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    As long as she doesn't get in the way of the people doing their jobs I don't see the issue.

Obama has no reason to get involved in something like this, it's an issue he can weigh in on but there's no reason for him to take action for something this small.
    I don't agree and if this woman proceeds to hijacks other peoples rights and interferes, there should be sanctions put in place until she is removed from office.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Probably just legal games. Although she has stated that she will interfere with the clerks (she was offered this deal when the judge brought her back to court shortly after finding her in contempt), the judge is giving her the opportunity to defy the court again. If she does what she said she'll do (i.e. interfere with the issuing of marriage licenses), it will probably destroy her lawyers' attempts at appeals.

This. The poll options are weird. A federal judge is ensuring federal laws are being followed. No need for Obama to get into the mix at all. If the state/county wants to impeach her that's on them, though they should as she in no longer willing to perform her duties.
    "Old WoW was when the game was bad yet good. New WoW is when the game is good yet bad." -Destil

Same should happen to her that happend to the lesbian judge that refused to marry hetro couples......nothing... Only difference is Tonya Parker did it for 3 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    This. The poll options are weird. A federal judge is ensuring federal laws are being followed. No need for Obama to get into the mix at all. If the state/county wants to impeach her that's on them.
    She is obstructing a federal law, that legally recognizes the rights of gay couples to marry, because of he personal obligations, obligations that if she felt so strongly about she could resign and not have to worry what he name was being attached to in regards to marriage licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He set her free because there were other clerks, her employees who are issuing licenses. He told her not to interfere with her subordinates. Least that's the story I read.

We will see.
    I think the judge is giving here enough rope to hand herself with. I see his sort of comprimise, but is she going to intimidate the clerks out of the public eye?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I don't agree and if this woman proceeds to hijacks other peoples rights and interferes, there should be sanctions put in place until she is removed from office.
    I said if she doesn't get in the way of the people doing their jobs of giving out marriage licenses...to everyone. If she interferes then it becomes an issue of getting her out of office I agree but that's not something that Obama needs to deal with. That's blowing the problem completely out of proportion to bring the highest official in the United States down to KY to deal with something that can be dealt with locally.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Isn't there a way to fire her ass instead of just wasting tax payer money.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Same should happen to her that happend to the lesbian judge that refused to marry hetro couples......nothing... Only difference is Tonya Parker did it for 3 years?
    Sigh, not that simple - http://m.snopes.com/tonya-parker/

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Isn't there a way to fire her ass instead of just wasting tax payer money.
    She's an elected official, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    She is obstructing a federal law, that legally recognizes the rights of gay couples to marry, because of he personal obligations, obligations that if she felt so strongly about she could resign and not have to worry what he name was being attached to in regards to marriage licenses.
    She is no longer obstructing anything. The judge took care of that. She should resign, or course, but she won't. She's had months to resign since the decision and still has not.
    "Old WoW was when the game was bad yet good. New WoW is when the game is good yet bad." -Destil

10+ Year Old Account
    I said if she doesn't get in the way of the people doing their jobs of giving out marriage licenses...to everyone. If she interferes then it becomes an issue of getting her out of office I agree but that's not something that Obama needs to deal with. That's blowing the problem completely out of proportion to bring the highest official in the United States down to KY to deal with something that can be dealt with locally.
    And if it were just a state issue I would agree, but if other clerks decide to follow this woman's lead, that is going to be a problem federally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    She is no longer obstructing anything. The judge took care of that. She should resign, or course, but she won't. She's had months to resign since the decision and still has not.
    She just got out, and has already said she plans to defy the judge's ruling and go on not issuing license in the office she is in charge of.