Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation Looking for Spider repellent

Hello everyone.

As it is spider season here in the UK, I have had to deal with a plethora of these 8 legged demon spawns which has caused me to take desperate action. I wouldn't go as far to say that I am arachnophobic (at least not to the extent that I start having a panic attack), but I am really bad with spiders and generally can't stay in the room until I know the spider is dead/outside.

I have been looking for devices which seem to let out certain waves to repel spiders, however I am a bit dubious about buying one as they are getting mixed reviews, I just don't want to spend money on a cheap piece of junk.

This is the amazon link to the one I have been considering buying: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Adva.../dp/B0027GZPFK

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend it or suggest an alternative. I have citrus/vinegar to use for natural sprays but I would rather not have to run around the house spraying every nook and cranny.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    I wouldn't go as far to say that I am arachnophobic (at least not to the extent that I start having a panic attack), but I am really bad with spiders and generally can't stay in the room until I know the spider is dead/outside.
    sounds like arachnophobia to me lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    The best way to get rid of your common house spiders, is to introduce some bigger ones from outside.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Well I didn't want to sound melodramatic, but I am probably above average on the whole "scared of spiders" scale. I am currently in my bedroom with a spider lurking about, so I am not panicking but I am uneasy, hence this thread :P

Just burn your house down. I am at about 45 on a scale of 1-10 on fear of spiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    May I suggest fire? Skip to 0:57.

Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-09-09 at 01:06 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

I've never heard of a physical device that deters any kind of bug. I wonder if this is a non-U.S. thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of spiders do you have there? It may be more beneficial to keep them alive, depending on the type.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    I've never heard of a physical device that deters any kind of bug. I wonder if this is a non-U.S. thing.
    I wondered the same, I was going to mention that I have never heard anyone talk about these devices, so I am not sure if they are really worth it.

Deleted
    A tissue is good!

Or an envelope and a small container to trap them and release them outside, that's usually what I do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    What kind of spiders do you have there? It may be more beneficial to keep them alive, depending on the type.
    Just the common house spider I think, I live in the UK so nothing too exotic unlike Australia. Honestly, spiders are the only thing I see crawling about the house - I would gladly kill beetles/flies etc should they appear but spiders are quick, agile and creepy and can crawl into my bed so I'd rather not keep them around

10+ Year Old Account
    I just have a can of spider Raid. Kill it from a distance, make damn sure it ain't moving, grab a sheet of paper and flush the corpse down the toilet. On a scale of 1-10, I am a 9 on the arachnophobia scale, and this works for me

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    There is but one effective spider repellent -

10+ Year Old Account
    Insects hate mint. You can get foggers and insecticide dusts too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I just have a can of spider Raid. Kill it from a distance, make damn sure it ain't moving, grab a sheet of paper and flush the corpse down the toilet. On a scale of 1-10, I am a 9 on the arachnophobia scale, and this works for me
    I'll probably buy proper spray tomorrow just for those close encounters. As long as I don't have to get up close i'll be able to compose myself, sort of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    I'll probably buy proper spray tomorrow just for those close encounters. As long as I don't have to get up close i'll be able to compose myself, sort of.
    For more preventive measures, try stuffing a fresh dryer sheet in the places you think spiders might come from. I hear most bugs hate the smell of dryer sheets or something.

Ancient and generally useless method is to put a couple of conkers around the house, tried it and it might work or maybe I am just not looking hard enough for the spiders. Newer methods suggest the smell of peppermint oil is not liked by them at all, might break it out myself if the conkers have failed

Dump oil around your house and light the match to set it on fire during the night. You will be well protected for the night.

Deleted
    Holy fuck. The spider just crawled right up to me, almost threw my laptop off my bed. Thank fuck it's dead, now I can finally sleep peacefully tonight hahah, my heart is fucking racing, jesus...

Rabbit, i'll do everything it takes to keep them away, i'll buy the biggest conkers known to man if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, going to go to sleep now. I'll check in tomorrow and see if anyone has anything else to add. Really appreciate it!

I see a lot of fire suggestions, not discounting it, it's a last resort plan.
    Last edited by mmoc073d675b99; 2015-09-09 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    That is not what a phobia is. Humans are wired to be afraid of things that skitter. His fear has to be at an irrational level to be a phobia, and considering the fact that he can stand to get close enough to kill them, it would seem it is not.