Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmomaths View Post
    Property value rises and you want to villify her?

Ok..........
    People are angry because in a time of austerity the people still pay millions and millions to the crown every year... when she is so fukking rich she could never spend all her wealth if she tried anyway!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Queen is cool. Long life and good health to her and her successors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Apologies, regular full time jobs are 8 hours a day, 5 days a week indeed. I calculated my own working hours /facepalm

I did a quick google search to estimate what I would earn in the US and it's quite a bit less than here: $270.000 per annum. Happy I'm European.
    I'm confused. If you earn €120,000 p.a., then $270,000 would be double your pay.

Obviously you'd have the inconvenience of being shot every day and getting Type 2 diabetes, but you'd be significantly better off financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm confused. If you earn €120,000 p.a., then $270,000 would be double your pay.

Obviously you'd have the inconvenience of being shot every day and getting Type 2 diabetes, but you'd be significantly better off financially.
    That's my net estimate (just did a rough monthly income times 12). My gross annual income is €264.000~ I should've added gross to the post. Apologies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Everyone was an asshole back in the 1800s. It wasn't until like 1920s that people started asking "what the hell are we doing?"
    "Every country that finds itself in a position of power was an asshole" could be the title of the Earths autobiography.

Deleted
    When i was a kid, whenever i went to see a castle that was still used by royalty, i felt very different about it then when i visited a unused castle.

The vatican and royal palaces were "real", with real guards, and a real chance to catch a glimmer of a real queen or pope or whathave you.
    neuschwanstein and stuff like that felt more like a museum.

Heck even the tour guides heavily play on stuff like that. So yeah i'd say royalty can influence tourism to a significant degree. Though admittedly the UK does a hell of a lot better job of it then most other countries. But even for those countires royalty is a handy diplomatic tool.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-09-09 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Sounds about right, but to argue that the monarchy are a financial gain the UK is just not true, the fact is that the monarchy are a burden on the tax payer.
    Indeed and it's what I've been saying all along.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Everyone was an asshole back in the 1800s.
    No they weren't. But the English (and the other big European countries of the time) can tell themselves what they need to in order to feel better about things.

It wasn't until like 1920s that people started asking "what the hell are we doing?"
    Again, not everyone. And I've noticed England hasn't offered to give back any of their ill-gotten gains, as an aside. It's easier to criticize everyone else than own up to one's own faults, I suppose. But hey, at least they oh so generously offered to let Scotland become independent again. In 2015. (Which is a little later than 1920, btw.)